• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Dan Wheeler's Explorer 4.0 Radiator and Taurus Fan Thread

fungus

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Kaneohe Bay, Oahu
Mounting the fan vertically left the fan shroud hanging down below the rad a couple inches so I cut a piece of 16 ga to fill the gap. I welded 1/4" bolts on the inside of the 16 ga for mounting the sheet to the bottom of the rad (inaccessible w/ shroud mounted) and secured the top of the sheet to the rad w/ 1/4" SS locknuts. The Taurus fan was mounted in the Taurus w/ the clips you see here (that I took when I pulled the fan in the yard). I welded these onto the bottom of the sheet so the bottom of the fan just slides in and is held tight. This makes for EASY R/R of the fan! Undo the two top bolts, unplug the weatherpack connector and slide it out the top... The shroud would not fit flush on the top of the rad so I used nylon spacers to get the 1/4" bolts tight w/o warping the shroud. I also used sticky 3M camper shell padding to pad the shroud where it rests on the rad fins. You can also see the clearance I have between the drivers side rad tank and my 4x4x2 stearing box. I DID mount the rad offset 1/2" towards the passenger side just for a little added buffer.

Attachments

• Gap in Taurus shroud.jpg
    Gap in Taurus shroud.jpg
    219.8 KB · Views: 142
  • IMG_0435.jpg
    IMG_0435.jpg
    191.1 KB · Views: 127
  • IMG_0433.jpg
    IMG_0433.jpg
    211.7 KB · Views: 136
  • IMG_0432.jpg
    IMG_0432.jpg
    192.4 KB · Views: 142
  • Drvrs btm bracket.jpg
    Drvrs btm bracket.jpg
    161.6 KB · Views: 145
  • Clearance w: 4x4x2 box.jpg
    Clearance w: 4x4x2 box.jpg
    291.9 KB · Views: 153
  • Clearance 2.jpg
    Clearance 2.jpg
    275.5 KB · Views: 176

fungus

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Kaneohe Bay, Oahu
All said and done, I couldn't be happier with the fitment, functionality, reduced cost and easy replacement on this setup! Doesn't look half bad either!;D

Keep in mind the clearance I have is because my c/s has been moved forward 1 7/8". I did this PRIOR to scoring my exploder serp and intended on running the Taurus fan w/ my V-belt setup. Not sure the c/s mods were required but it sure makes for some nice room to work on the front of my engine!

Attachments

• IMG_0470.jpg
    IMG_0470.jpg
    211.9 KB · Views: 107
  • IMG_0475.jpg
    IMG_0475.jpg
    214.9 KB · Views: 117
  • IMG_0474.jpg
    IMG_0474.jpg
    235.9 KB · Views: 135
  • IMG_0472.jpg
    IMG_0472.jpg
    273.7 KB · Views: 138
  • IMG_0471.jpg
    IMG_0471.jpg
    287.6 KB · Views: 146
  • IMG_0477.jpg
    IMG_0477.jpg
    260.8 KB · Views: 147
  • IMG_0473.jpg
    IMG_0473.jpg
    202.3 KB · Views: 99

Tito

CB Fire Starter
Loc.
Bakersfield, CA
I am hoping to run the radiator against the core support without mods except for mounts. I am running the explorer serpentine on the motor. Hopefully drivetrain will go onto the tubless frame here next week. Then get the tub on and go from there.

Tito

CB Fire Starter
Loc.
Bakersfield, CA
Going to start with the stock explorer clutch fan. I know with the one in the beast I have about 3" of room between the fan and the stock radiator.

OP
OP
DanWheeler

DanWheeler

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Kirkland, WA
Had the new fan and radiator out wheelin for the first time and they did great.

it was about 65 degrees that day and I was doing plenty of climbing and idling. Fan was coming on around 210 and back off at about 180. I need to adjust it downwards so it comes on at 200.

I've noticed when cruising, it stays at about 165 which is actually a little too low but again, my temp gauge sender is in the water neck so I may be getting a false reading.

Still waiting for a 100+ degree day sitting in traffic to give it the stamp of approval.

fungus

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Kaneohe Bay, Oahu
Mine's still running strong out here in HI Dan and its been my daily driver for about 3 weeks in and out of traffic. Couldn't be happier with it! Glad you got it all going and I'm sure you'll love it.

OP
OP
DanWheeler

DanWheeler

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Kirkland, WA
had a Taurus fan go out on me over the memorial day weekend. It had been showing signs and just finally gave up

885164905_HATnv-S.jpg

885165446_8WugA-S.jpg

I was finally able to remove the fan from the motor which allows you to move the motor from the shroud. You have to file down the shaft a bit so you can tap it through the fan

885163835_8MnNb-S.jpg

looks like there are 2 motor types, one of which can be disassembled
885166315_j2GHK-S.jpg

here are some detailed pictures of installing the Taurus fan on Explorer 4.0 radiator:

drill bottom holes here:
885156705_hK2ui-M.jpg

should be a quarter inch away from the casting marks:
885157296_yjQd3-S.jpg

885157858_xybk5-S.jpg

cover the gap on the side:
885160393_4LrFm-S.jpg

885160817_9Eeip-S.jpg

oops, gotta run to a mtg - will post the rest later today

Last edited:
OP
OP
DanWheeler

DanWheeler

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Kirkland, WA
top left:
885159365_QPmuR-S.jpg

top right:
885159884_DgUUs-S.jpg

piece of aluminum or sheet at the bottom to fill the gap left by the shroud being mounted vertically (hangs down below the radiator)
885158340_7RZA4-M.jpg

top right hole on shroud:
885161872_3fMA3-S.jpg

885161396_5Q3VF-S.jpg

I think the top left is just about the same. .5" from the inside lip and 2.75" from the side

put the shroud on and secure with a nut and lock washer at the bottom
885163354_QGoDf-L.jpg

at the top, use some foam or something to fill the gap and secure with nuts and lockwashers:
885162903_wDese-M.jpg

basically the idea here is to seal the shroud as well as possible. This will make sure all the air going through the fan blades has to come through the radiator. I've found that the inch or so not covered by the shroud will be too hot to touch but just 1/2" to the right where the shroud is will be cool to the touch.

when my fan failed up in the mountains, i removed the fan completely to improve airflow and drove home for 2 hours at speed and didn't overheat.

Bronchole

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Chatsworth, Ca (LA)
I'm trying the Explorer 4.0 radiator because its cheap, plentiful and apparently you can use stock Explorer hoses with it.

Dan,

Exactly which hoses did you end up using? I am getting ready to put a 92 Explorer 4.0 Auto radiator in my rig and I have the hoses that were from the same Explorer.

Thanks,

The other Dan

fungus

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Kaneohe Bay, Oahu
I used both upper and lower hoses for a '99 Explorer 5.0. '98 or '99 I believe was the first year they deleted the oil cooler/ filter gizmo so the lower hose runs straight from the water pump to the radiator. Any explorer 5.0 upper will work ('96-'01), just get the later model lower hose.

Bronchole

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Chatsworth, Ca (LA)
Great, thanks fungus. Hey Dan, if this is the way you also went may I suggest that you update your first post in this thread to include that info. That way someone else looking for that info won't have to dig like I am ;)

The other Dan

OP
OP
DanWheeler

DanWheeler

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Kirkland, WA
Great, thanks fungus. Hey Dan, if this is the way you also went may I suggest that you update your first post in this thread to include that info. That way someone else looking for that info won't have to dig like I am ;)

The other Dan

I did whatever Fungus did, so yes I believe I used the 5.0 hoses.

The lower required a bit of cutting if I recall correctly. I think I had to cut an inch or so off the radiator side of the lower hose. It is still a bit kinked at the bottom but seems to flow OK. it would be better if I were able to push the bottom of the radiator more forward but it can't go any further forward without significantly modifying the lower core support which I didn't want to get into. I'll add that to page 1.

OP
OP
DanWheeler

DanWheeler

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Kirkland, WA
BTW - this thing is still working great. It takes whatever I throw at it. Did about 30 minutes of just straight up climbing a few thousand feet of vertical and no problems at all. 90+ degrees around town and it has cooling capacity to spare.

I dont believe i've ever actually had to turn on the high speed on the Taurus fan. Sometimes I do just to keep it cool when I'm running it hard.

fungus

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Kaneohe Bay, Oahu
BTW - this thing is still working great. It takes whatever I throw at it. Did about 30 minutes of just straight up climbing a few thousand feet of vertical and no problems at all. 90+ degrees around town and it has cooling capacity to spare.

I dont believe i've ever actually had to turn on the high speed on the Taurus fan. Sometimes I do just to keep it cool when I'm running it hard.

X2! Mine's still working like a champ. Went to high a couple weeks ago as I was workin' it HARD getting my ass outta some super soft sand! The beauty is, when you actually need High, it brings the temp right back down quick even working the motor hard...

todd.gorman

Loc.
Ceyzerieu, France
Can anyone give me the ford part number of that radiator? I'm trying to score one in Europe and I've already recieved 1 wrong one.

Thanks,
TOdd

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Darn, sorry I didn't see your post yesterday Todd. I could have gotten one for you at the shop today.
Someone here should have it handy of course, but if not, I'll try to get that for you tomorrow.

You need the specific "Ford" part number then? And you are asking for the V6 radiator, and not the V8?

Paul

OP
OP
DanWheeler

DanWheeler

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Kirkland, WA
Sorry Todd, no idea on the Ford part number. I would think getting a Ford replacement for that would be nearly impossible. I can't even seem to find my old receipt from what I think was www.discountautoradiator.com

I think it was this one:

http://www.discountautoradiator.com...64+4294966120+4294966840+4294966877&Ntt=P1164

man... can't believe it was only $103.

[edit] this is the 2 row version which is what I have. they do show a 1 row version and thats what I see most often at the junkyard but I'm not sure that would do the job.