• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Cummins 4bt Luber Build Thread(Off road video added)!!)

OP
OP
Dbteak

Dbteak

Nice work on your project.

What fresh air system are you using?

After using it did you have any problems with it?

Thanks.

For the engine I made a filter housing from a V8 diesel. You can see it in post 79. Fresh air for the cab is all stock. I cut stock looking slots in the hood. I haven't had any probelms with either fresh air system rolling it from the shop to the driveway.:)

Doug

big a

Loc.
Fort Worth
Wow! Those slots look like they came that way. I was wondering because I didn't think that hood had slots!

'69 Bronco

Loc.
Southern California
For the engine I made a filter housing from a V8 diesel. You can see it in post 79. Fresh air for the cab is all stock. I cut stock looking slots in the hood. I haven't had any probelms with either fresh air system rolling it from the shop to the driveway.:)

Doug

Oooops, my mistake. I had just looked at your fresh air painting mask system pic and I posted. I should have specified.

I liked your caption under it by the way. If you've never painted you don't know how hard it is to wait for the paint to flash.

It's like watching paint dry. lol

OP
OP
Dbteak

Dbteak

Oooops, my mistake. I had just looked at your fresh air painting mask system pic and I posted. I should have specified.

I liked your caption under it by the way. If you've never painted you don't know how hard it is to wait for the paint to flash.

It's like watching paint dry. lol

Search e-bay for the seller "turbineproducts". That is where I bought my set up. It's all chinese made is the only downside.

Doug

OP
OP
Dbteak

Dbteak

This thing is looking awesome.
I'm getting ready to drop the motor in mine. I'm not quite sure where to land it vertically.

If you don't mind, could you tell me the dimension you ended up with from the top of the frame rail to the top of the front valve cover?

Also, it looks like you're using the highlander hood. How much clearance do you have between the top of the valve cover and the bottom of the hood?

Did you offset the centerline of the motor towards the passenger side?

Thanks in advance! Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Andy

I laid a strait edge across the left and right frame rails and the center line of the crank on the diesel is 3/4" above the strait edge.

I also have tons of room of clearance. I may have to take out my body lift.

Attachments

• IMG_0101.jpg
    IMG_0101.jpg
    71.9 KB · Views: 333
  • IMG_0100.jpg
    IMG_0100.jpg
    84.7 KB · Views: 335
  • IMG_0098.jpg
    IMG_0098.jpg
    69.1 KB · Views: 298
OP
OP
Dbteak

Dbteak

Engine compartment pictures.

Attachments

• IMG_0093.jpg
    IMG_0093.jpg
    104.9 KB · Views: 615
  • IMG_0094.jpg
    IMG_0094.jpg
    112.4 KB · Views: 652
  • IMG_0096.jpg
    IMG_0096.jpg
    114 KB · Views: 696

Pa PITT

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Stephenville TEXAS
Are you going to add an AC unit to yours. I didn't remember if your a open top or not.
MINE does not have the P PUMP .. bUT THE OTHER CHEAPER PUMP I don't remember what it's called .. VE I think but I have 2 injection lines going across between the 1st and 2nd valve cover. I NEED THEM LOWER so I can reroute my air inlet tube forward .. So that I can add on an AC COMPRESSOR jUST OVER THE POWER STEERING pump.
..... Did you do anything to lower those injection lines. OR where your with the P-Pump just out of the way.

Pa PITT

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Stephenville TEXAS
I think your going to really like yours once you bet it going .. The P-pump motor will give you the extra RPM'S that I don't have and then the 5 speed will also give you the ability to reduce the RPM's and gain some MPH with the trans. YOURS should be much more pleasant at 60 mph.
... Someone ask if you moved yours off center line .. Mine in inline but I cut a plug out of my oil pan. The crank does not come down into the pan . so you have lots of play there .

ET

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Dbteak.

Can you get a measurement of your driveline angle front to back? I've been trying to determine if mine's too steep. 8-ish degree right now. Zero running issue but I want to get it at 5 degree by raising the TC.

Thanks,
Eugene

ford man

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Leesburg Ga
I have been following your build I really like it so far.The engine bay looks nice and clean and I also like your color it remines me of my truck.I would like to do a 4bt but it will be a while.

Attachments

• 006.jpg
    006.jpg
    107.6 KB · Views: 220
OP
OP
Dbteak

Dbteak

Are you going to add an AC unit to yours. I didn't remember if your a open top or not.
MINE does not have the P PUMP .. bUT THE OTHER CHEAPER PUMP I don't remember what it's called .. VE I think but I have 2 injection lines going across between the 1st and 2nd valve cover. I NEED THEM LOWER so I can reroute my air inlet tube forward .. So that I can add on an AC COMPRESSOR jUST OVER THE POWER STEERING pump.
..... Did you do anything to lower those injection lines. OR where your with the P-Pump just out of the way.

I am not planning on adding A/C because I plan in running without a top during summer.

The injection lines are stock.

Doug

Pa PITT

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Stephenville TEXAS
where did you get the intake plate with the pipe aimed toward the radiator. My original plate had the tube pointing up. and I made a 2nd one that points the tube out toward the driver side fender . But now for the AC install I need it to point toward the radiator.

big a

Loc.
Fort Worth
I laid a strait edge across the left and right frame rails and the center line of the crank on the diesel is 3/4" above the strait edge.

I also have tons of room of clearance. I may have to take out my body lift.

Thanks Doug! Those valves covers and intake plumbing look awesome!!!

Andy

OP
OP
Dbteak

Dbteak

Dbteak.

Can you get a measurement of your driveline angle front to back? I've been trying to determine if mine's too steep. 8-ish degree right now. Zero running issue but I want to get it at 5 degree by raising the TC.

Thanks,
Eugene

I looked for my magnetic angle finder and I can't find it. As soon as I come across it I will get the numbers to you.

Doug

OP
OP
Dbteak

Dbteak

where did you get the intake plate with the pipe aimed toward the radiator. My original plate had the tube pointing up. and I made a 2nd one that points the tube out toward the driver side fender . But now for the AC install I need it to point toward the radiator.

Those intakes come stock on most of the p-pumped motors I have seen. You may e-mail the e-bay seller "parts for less" I think. They always have the p-pump motors for sale and they may have a parts motor.

Doug

ET

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I looked for my magnetic angle finder and I can't find it. As soon as I come across it I will get the numbers to you.

Doug

No rush. I appreciate this.

Eugene

jlewan001

Loc.
Thorp, WI
This looks like a very nice build. I bet you have a bunch of money stuck into it so far. I am putting a 4BT into my '72 Bronco and even though I already had the engine and Bronco, it is costing more than I thought it would.

That should be nice with the P-pump. Mine has the older Bosch (VE) style injector pump on it and it does not like RPMs, but it did fine when I ran it in my F150 for past 2 years. I figure if it was able to pull the Bronco on a trailer behind the F150 it should power just the Bronco by itself just fine.

I also have another 4b Cummins that has the old Roosa-master pump on it and it has a ford adapter plate on it too that I am thinking about selling.

OP
OP
Dbteak

Dbteak

Re-purposed an Exploder under hood fuse and relay box. I need a relay for the pull and hold for the fuel solenoid, Start solenoid on the starter, high beam headlights, low beam headlights, and a spare for maybe a ARB compressor. It came apart easy once I figured out the clips for holding the female connectors. I also used a fuse for the power to the in cab fuse panel and the electric fan.

Doug

Attachments

• IMG_0102.jpg
    IMG_0102.jpg
    111.7 KB · Views: 196
  • IMG_0103.jpg
    IMG_0103.jpg
    123.6 KB · Views: 181
  • IMG_0105.jpg
    IMG_0105.jpg
    120.2 KB · Views: 182
  • IMG_0104.jpg