• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Coilovers 2.5”x12”

jbtherat

Loc.
Houston
Looking for the best bang for the buck on coilovers.. 2.5”x 12”. Fox, King I know get expensive. Any thoughts/advise would be greatly appreciated. I would consider used if in good shape.

CA Monkey

Loc.
Tracy
i don't have any experience as far as owning or using coil overs but I just watch this video on youtube which was great.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-MsKf1lIYI0&t=383s
Biggest single bit of info I got off of this video was that almost all other coilover brands use a sleeve to make the their coilover bodies bigger on paper. I hope this helps.

68ford

Bronco Guru
I'm a huge King fan, both my race truck and bronco are all king. And they both work very well. Fox are equally as good now. They have really stepped up their game the last 10 yrs.

I would not buy used unless off a bronco of similar weight that worked good. Odds of buying used C/O with the correct valving and springs rates is near impossible. The cost of 4 new springs or a revalve puts you close enough that you should have just bought new.
Look into the new IBP, internal bypass coilovers, I think those would be perfect for a bronco application.

OP
OP
jbtherat

jbtherat

Loc.
Houston
Thanks so much for the thoughts. Maybe I bite the bullet with King or Fox. I have heard that the performance series Fox (ie: 983-02-104) has had a few performance problems. Not sure what though. I will look into the IBP as well and keep researching.

BanditBronco

Us Arizona boys like ADS Racing Shocks as well, they are slightly cheaper than a fox or a king and have a small business feel that usually helps with customer service compared to King or Fox. I have a fresh set of that size I had been thinking of maybe getting off the shelf.

Apogee

Contributor
Bronco Guru
You could add Bilstein CO's to the list, Radflo, etc., although it will be tough to beat the quality and level of support provided by King or Fox. King is at just about every major off-road event and can provide tuning and testing support that some of the smaller companies would struggle to provide IMO.

Another option would be ORI's if you're willing to consider an internal bypass strut, as they have some advantages with respect to hydraulic bottoming/topping out, sway control, etc. Downsides include sensitivity to shifts in weight/loading and some temperature variability...a few of the guys on here running them might chime in with first hand experience on EB's.

OP
OP
jbtherat

jbtherat

Loc.
Houston
Yah. I would be interested to see what the experiences are with ORI’s.
Thanks for reminding me about ORI.