• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Carb leaking and PCV Hissing

DeezNCSU

Loc.
Raleigh, NC
This may be novice stuff I'm asking about here but I'm learning as I go...

I cranked my 75 today and found that I had some gas dripping from the bottom of the carb onto the intake on the passenger side and that my PCV valve was hissing louder than I remember. It idled and revved fine but if I put my finger over the PCV valve, the idle dropped. I'm guessing these two are somehow related but wasn't sure. Does this sound like the carb needs a rebuild and/or new gaskets? I wasn't sure if there was some kind of overflow on the carb causing the leak, can't really see exactly where it's coming from. Not really sure where to start.

It's a 302 with an Edelbrock 1404 carb with manual choke and an Edelbrock intake. I can add pics if needed.

blubuckaroo

Grease Monkey
Loc.
Ridgefield WA
One nice thing about Edelbrock carbs is the fuel bowls have no place to leak. If the car is still running, I wouldn't suspect the bowls are overfilling. Check the fuel inlet to the carb to see if it's leaking. It's on the passenger side.
The hiss? well, it could be a normal sound from the PCV valve. After all, it's just a metered vacuum leak.;)

Fairlane514

Loc.
Houston
I have had Edelbrocks leak from the throttle shaft on the passenger side when the floats were set wrong and overfilling the bowls.

I checked the float levels (factory settings) and they were way off. I set them properly and the leaking stopped and it didn't load up etc. at idle.

savage

Contributor
Bronco Nut
Loc.
Renton
x-2 on checking floats, They are easy to check and adjust, and yes ,if you plug the pvc valve it will change the idle speed.