• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Help - leaking gas from carb

Chicago71Bronco

Loc.
Chicagoland
Hello and thanks in advance for the help.

I went to go take pictures of the bronco today because I just became a contributor and when I popped the hood I noticed a steady drip of gas coming from the carb. It's pooling up on the top of the engine and I'm guessing it will hit the manifold sooner or later and go boom.

I'm not the most mechanically inclined guy as I've never really worked much on cars. The experience I do have is only because I have the bronco and obviously issues come up. Since this has never been an issue before I've never had to do anything with a carb and am pretty clueless. I know this is a 2 bbl carb but not sure what kind. I'm thinking now might be a good time to replace it or upgrade to a better intake/carb combo. I've owned the truck for 13 years and have never done any work to the carb so it could be that it's just old and junky.

The other thought I has is that the stock air filter is may be on too tight and is pulling the carb to the drivers side which would not let it seal completely ???

Can anybody tell me what carb I have so I can look at pricing a replacement? Also if Im going this far should I just upgrade the intake and carb? Are there any setups that would allow me to get rid of the stock air filter and use something that would sit on top but still fit under my stock hood?

This is a street rig that I mainly cruise around town in and do some highway driving. I will never take it crawling or serious off road.

Thanks

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1350752773.640905.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1350752794.843565.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1350752807.846403.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1350752824.545499.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1350752848.580725.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1350752878.009767.jpg

jckkys

Bronco Guru
It's either the accelerator pump, the diaphragm on the front of the carb, or the power valve on the bottom. Both are easy fixes. I would recommend buying a rebuilding kit. It will contain both parts and instructions that will help you understand how it works and how to diagnose future problems. It looks like the original carb so even the parts guys that only know how to look things up on a computer can find it.

miikee73

Shadetree Guru
Loc.
Aloha
Since you've been happy with it for 13 yrs,I would just put a rebuild kit in it and just keep on truckin....
Have you put a screwdriver on any of those screws? Usually won't help,but worth a try...just go easy...snug only.

OP
OP
Chicago71Bronco

Chicago71Bronco

Loc.
Chicagoland
Thanks for the help. Is there any advantage of going with a 4 barrel carb if I'm just sticking to the street? Any setup to get better mpg?

blubuckaroo

Grease Monkey
Loc.
Ridgefield WA
My reason for going to a 4 bbl was entirely for street performance. The stock 2 bbl carb while being a good all-around carb, is better than most 4 bbls off road. I don't think one carb is going to get substantially better mileage than the other when driven in economy-mode.

OP
OP
Chicago71Bronco

Chicago71Bronco

Loc.
Chicagoland