• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

cam up-grade

bobtail

Loc.
high in the desert
I recently switched my stock cam for an r v cam. it performs a little better. it's a bit louder and sounds good with a loupe. I stayed with the stock intake and 2-barrel carb. am I wasting my time by not upgrading the manifold and carb? how much more would they add? could my 2-barrel keep up if I only changed the manifold? I have more time than money.

sykanr0ng

Bronco Guru
Carb, intake, cam and heads all work together and changing one without changing the rest will only give small gains if any.

You may be able to find upgrade parts for sale used, by those wanting even more power.
Check Craigslist and swap meets and so on.
Do research before you buy.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Agree with what was said. But it's not like you wasted your money on the cam. You just did not optimize it for the most bang for your swap.
You still gained some, and it sounds like you could feel it by the seat of your pants. Very hard to say just what extra you'll gain from the other parts, but yes, they will have gained some for the cam as well.
I did the carb and manifold without a cam, and while I could feel them as well, I'm sure it was not near as much as they could have added, had I also gone with a mild cam upgrade.

But the biggest bang for that buck in all that might be headers and a good exhaust.
They will also benefit you with just stock heads and intake and carb, but like the cam, not quite as much as they would have if accompanied by the other stuff.

Again though, you still gained something. Just not quite as much.
So certainly not a wasted effort.

Paul

rguest3

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I'll assume you changed the Lifters and other Valvetrain on the Heads to match the new Cam, especially since you stated it has a nice lope. (Additional Duration and probably lift too).

As others have stated, the other parts would work in combination with the Cam and produce more effect on performance. These are bolt on parts.

Do the Headers and exhaust next when you can. As Paul said, this may be the best bang for your buck.

Then, add an Edelbrock Performer intake and a 500-600 cfm carb.

blubuckaroo

Grease Monkey
Loc.
Ridgefield WA
I agree that an improved exhaust system is in order. Headers are helpful, but your best gain would be with bigger exhaust tubing volume.
Duals, or at least a larger single can get you there.. You can use the stock head pipes, and use a 2.25" -2.5" system and muffler.

My little brother had a '72/302/3 speed, with an Edelbrock a performer cam, dual exhaust w/manifolds, and the factory 2100 Autolite 2bbl carb. He did use later model E7 heads. That Bronco had wicked torque!

I only went to a 4bbl carb after I lowered my differential gear ratio. I found that when I kicked it down into passing gear, it would just run out of steam at about 3000 RPM. Not a good thing when starting to pass on a hill.:eek:

OP
OP
B

bobtail

Loc.
high in the desert
I installed cyclone headers a few years ago. and had the exhaust pipes aimed to exit in front of the back tires. recently I had the flowmaster mufflers replaced. the passenger side header came in two pieces so the starter can still be gotten to. is gotten a word? I use a hose clamp to hold the two pieces gotether. but I don't think that's causing a leak. there is a dent in one of the header pipes. other than that my exhaust I think is in pretty good shape. I am however too curiose about what I might be missing so i'm shopping for another intake and probably carb. I also must replace the clutch. with the up-grades would you think a stock clutch is enough? yes I replaced springs, lifters, pushrods, cam and timing set. all lunati except the pushrods.

Last edited:

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
...I also must replace the clutch. with the up-grades would you think a stock clutch is enough?

Stock type? Sure, just...
Stock high-mileage original? Probably not!;D

We're not talking about massive amounts of additional power here, but it's probably enough to justify an upgrade.
And larger tires alone can totally justify an upgrade to something stronger, so larger tires and a new cam and I say yes to a stronger clutch.
What size tires and what gearing are you running?

Paul

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Oh, and "gotten" is a totally legit word. Well, at least here.:cool:
Whether 100% Merriam/Webster, or just Americanized English, it works for us!;)

Misbegotten... Ill gotten gains... Not sure if it's actually an original word or just something from modern times to fill a gap. Good question.

Paul

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
First you be fu gettin' about it, then you have fa gotten.;)