• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Cam Sensor wiring. 3.8l Windstar for hall effect trigger for Term X

nvrstuk

Contributor
Just a Bronco driver for over 50 yrs!
I'm using a '96-'98 Windstar 3 wire hall effect cam sensor and synchronizer.

Of the 3 wires coming out of the "cap" or actual sensor, which one is grd, 12v pwr and the cam input wire???

I have a 351W deck ht and this fits ALL "fit criteria" with a 1" spacer (thanks Lars) correct dia for the lower shaft, correct overall length and distributor drive gear dia. So I don't know if Ford ever wired anything the same from year to year or model to model so I have no idea if the Exploder ones are the same and I can find a wiring diagram for a '97 Windstar.

Thanks

OP
OP
nvrstuk

nvrstuk

Contributor
THANKS! :)

I thought that was it but didn't want to nuke a new Term X or anything else so thanks!

SC74

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Figured I’d tag onto this thread since it’s very similar.

My EFI explorer harness has a 3 wire plug for cam sensor. The 3 wire synchronizer is ruined (someone at junkyard must have thought it would be funny to destroy it for the next person). I do have a 2 wire synchronizer and sensor.

My question is can I just swap the caps since I put the two wire synchronizer in the hole already? If so I can buy a new 3 wire sensor and run it on the 2 wire synchronizer. They appear visually to be a direct swap.

OP
OP
nvrstuk

nvrstuk

Contributor
No they will not swap. I found that out. The cap reads the synchronizer which in the 2 wire synch is appr 1/8" wide and the 3 wire is a half moon shape appr 5/8" wide.

SC74

Contributor
Bronco Guru
No they will not swap. I found that out. The cap reads the synchronizer which in the 2 wire synch is appr 1/8" wide and the 3 wire is a half moon shape appr 5/8" wide.
Ok good to know. Good thing is they are still available and reasonable price. Thank you.