• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Bronco Design's Body Dash mounting & Body Painting

hyghlndr

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Hockessin, Delaware
Two questions that I could use some help with.

First how have people mounted the dash in a BroncoDesign's tub? Any pictures?

Second is prepping the actual body for painting- general plans:

1. Block sanding down (120-320 grit in stages) and trying to avoid going through the gel coat, trim and shape as needed.
2. Spray Evercoat Slicksand directly to body, then block sand 220-500 grit in stages.
3. Spray primer, what ever is recommended by the paint store.
4. Paint basecoat, wet sand paint.
5. Several coats of clear.
6. Wet sand and polish.

Thoughts or suggestions?

Rustytruck

Bronco Guru
120 is way to rough to be sanding on gelcoat. I would start with a guide coat fogged black so it shows then do your blocking with 320 grit. I prefer to wet sand myself. Let the guide coat tell you if you need areas to fill with primer or actual filler.

There isnt a straight panel on the Bronco except the top of the bed rail and the window frame. Get too aggressive on the gel coat you will cut areas flat that were not meant to be flat. Its not like you have steel to stop you.

SevenT

Contributor
Loc.
Southern Colorado
BD Tub

Hyghlndr,

Check out post #30 in my build thread. I attached the dash via the bolts into the windshield and the parking brake bracket. On the passenger side, I installed a nutsert into the tub and bolted the dash to it. You can see it in the picture if you zoom. As for sanding, I used a 300 or 400 grit pad and took it down to no shine left. I will check it with my body guy about how much filler will be needed to make it straight. Good luck.

v/r,

SevenT

Last edited:

rjrobin2002

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Yes, I would basically dull the gel coats shine and knock the high spots off with a DA sander and 400 grit and them spray a high build primer and block the tub with the primers recommended paper.

centex77

Nut-serts in the body and then the factory L-bracket. Holds it very tight. Once I get the windshield mounted and bolted up it’ll be solid.