• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Bronco Design Body...Any luck with Roll Cages?

Twidgeon

I looking for a family roll cage that will bolt into Bronco Design's body and tie into the frame. Anyone have any experience with this?

Thanks

hyghlndr

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Hockessin, Delaware
Pretty much any cage will fit you'll just need to custom make the brackets to go to the frame. Right now I have a Bailie built in my project.

OP
OP
T

Twidgeon

That's what I was kinda of looking for with the custom brackets. Did Bailie build them for you or is this something you put together? Welding isn't a skill I've picked up yet :)

Boss Hugg

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Twidgeon, are you talking about bolting thru the floor like the usual cages do? Or are you talking about using the inner structure of the body so that the cage doesn't touch the floor?

clarrance

Bronco Guru
The fiberglass tubs are so much different than a steel tub I really don't see how a standard steel bodied roll cage will fit in a fiberglass tub. A 1/4"-1/2" difference in the floor thickness from one leg to the next will throw off the cage quite a bit. I would say with any fiberglass tub the cage will need to be custom fitted to the body. The steel floors will give a little to pull it all together when bolting up the legs, but the fiberglass does not give it cracks.

OP
OP
T

Twidgeon

I'm fine with the cage bolting through the floor but as mentioned the thickness is different and the fiberglass will crack. There are a couple of spots that already kinda iffy already with me just putting all my weight on them. I want the cage to be functional in case I do something stupid :)

hyghlndr

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Hockessin, Delaware
Most all cages will fit fine if you go with a BD tub. Some cages are designed with cross bars or posts which would basically push down to hit the frame or transmission (for BC Bronco) For any cage tied to the frame I would put insulators between the floor and attachment points. Here are some of the kits for floor tie ins if you want to go with their style of cage. http://extremecustomparts.com/c-69064-roll-cages-roll-bars-add-on-kits-tie-into-frame-kits-bronco-willys-jeep-cj-yj-tie-into-frame-kits-roll-bar.html

d lake

used proto fab family cage in my bd tub. cage was cut and fitted but not welded. welding skills a must. used 2x3 stock over top of body mounts front and back.tied into roll bar. center of roll bar had to make brackets to tie into frame using 2x3 stock. created a 2 inch body lift. can send you pics if you like

bknbronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
North Metro, MN
i have a kentrol glass tub and i spent 1 grand on a JD bender so i could build a cage. I dont think any prebuilt cage would have came close to fitting. You would probably have to scuff up under the foot pads and lay down 3-5 layers of glass and then set the cage down until the resin hardnens then pull the cage.

Even with a self made cage i will have to sand flat or build up under my foot pads. Expecially in the front A hoop. A glass tub has rounded corners so in order to get the foot pads to touch you have to grind the glass tub to have square corners.....eventually you will grind through the tub though.....so adding some chopped mat under the foot pads is the only easy option i see. That way the feet are solidly mounted to the glass......and not relying on the bolts to pull the tub up to the feet....which we know will result in alot of scary crunching noises with every turn of the wrench

OP
OP
T

Twidgeon

used proto fab family cage in my bd tub. cage was cut and fitted but not welded. welding skills a must. used 2x3 stock over top of body mounts front and back.tied into roll bar. center of roll bar had to make brackets to tie into frame using 2x3 stock. created a 2 inch body lift. can send you pics if you like

d lake..Could you shoot over some pics. I talked to Corey about a cage and he came up with a pretty good idea of bolting directly to the frame that's built into the tub. Did proto fabs mounts fall on top of the frame that built into BD tubs?

Boss Hugg

Contributor
Bronco Guru
pretty good idea of bolting directly to the frame that's built into the tub.

This is what I was questioning in my above response. Would love see some pics of that setup. One day I hope to patronize Corey and build a fun DD.

bknbronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
North Metro, MN
my kentrol body has a metal rectangle tube in the rear so the C pillar hoop footplates mount right above that. But the B pillar hoop cant really mount to the crossmember where the body tub bolts are cause its about 8" too far forward....meaning you will most definatly smash your head on the B pillar hoop if mounted that far forward. Even when you put the B pillar hoop all the way back against the wheel wells you still need to tip or bend the B pillar hoop back to make head room. And the front a pillar there is no cross mamber.

So while you may be able to use the rear most crossmember......the rest is a no go