• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Bringing a Bronco into California... Quick Question

BatBronco

For the California heads here... I can bring a Bronco into CA from anywhere in the country, and as long as it is a 1975 or older, I'll be absolutely all good, right?

76 and onwards, I might run into issues, and have to get the truck made California compliant, often at great expense. Correct?

This is what my research is telling me, but I just want to double check... My google-fu is notoriously terrible.

Really cool forum here. Once I get my ride, I'll post some pics.

metal1

Loc.
hidesert ,socal
76 and newer need to pass smog but to the factory spec of the year of manufacture ,I brought a 78 in that was a federal truck that had only the smog equipment it was built with and it blazed right through up till it was stolen 2 yrs ago

904Bronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
San Martin, CA
A bronco 1966 - 1975 from out of state would need a Vin verification form completed. Can be done by some DMV offices, CHP, or local PD. Any PD can do it, but my experience has been that they need to have done the form before or it can be kicked back by the DMV in Sacramento for being incomplete.

1976-1977 requires all smog equipment to be present and functioning whether it is a Federal or CA compliant vehicle. There are also differences depending on what part of the country the Bronco was originally sold in.

Yes, depending on what is missing, it can be a nightmare to get it to pass smog. But it can be done...

OP
OP
B

BatBronco

Thanks guys. Sounds like other than a VIN verification form, I'm golden with 75 and older?

This VIN verification... Can I get into issues if the engine is not original, that sort of thing? Are they actively trying to match VINs on the body with the engine?

Or is it just reading off the VIN on the body and running it through a database to ensure the car is in fact how old I say it is, or isn't a grey market import, or stolen, or something like that?

904Bronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
San Martin, CA
Thanks guys. Sounds like other than a VIN verification form, I'm golden with 75 and older?

This VIN verification... Can I get into issues if the engine is not original, that sort of thing? Are they actively trying to match VINs on the body with the engine?

Or is it just reading off the VIN on the body and running it through a database to ensure the car is in fact how old I say it is, or isn't a grey market import, or stolen, or something like that?

The Vin on the body needs to match the Vin on the frame, which may be difficult to find/see. Generally, on the passenger side, about even with the firewall...

Vin matching components does not apply to Fords.

El Kabong

Contributor
Driving stuff Henry built
Where in California?

I bought my 73 out of state. The only extra requirement at this point for a pre-76 out of state vehicle was the VIN check. If you are buying it a "Bill of Sale" will help to establish its value, which they use to calculate use tax. A "Statement of Facts" form can help if you don't have all the exact paperwork they want, but you have to ask for it, since they don't normally suggest it. It is all about having a signed paper to put in the file to answer every question.

If you search dmv.ca.gov for "Register out of state vehicle" you'll find a list of the forms they will want.

The reason I ask where is that here in SoCal AAA did the VIN check, title transfer, & registration. They are usually much easier & faster to deal with than DMV. I have heard online that NorCal AAA does not provide the VIN check, but don't actually know that myself.

Be ready for some sticker shock compared to most states. And it is going up again. We are pretty stupid about allowing those increases.

73azbronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
FYI, I bought a 66 U13 in California a few years ago and it came from he factory with an air pump on a 6 cylinder of all things.

spap

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Sticker shock is right, my daughters 2005 Honda crf150 was $57.00 to get the green sticker for a year. They are just freaking because they were giving everyone tax breaks on hybrids not realizing that the gas revenue tax would go down dumb A$$es
Freaking crazy.
Ok I'm done now
Welcome to the Golden State

Evolkid

When you transfer it over from out of state, double and triple check that the VIN written down on the form is correct.
I have a co-worker that brought a car in from CO to CA and when the guy at the DMV wrote down the VIN on the form he put an I where a 1 should have been. Once it's in the CA system, the DMV considers it gospel, even if it's incorrect. Took my co-worker months of filling out forms and 2 inspections to get it corrected.

In his case, a SMOG check triggered an error. Wouldn't SMOG his car because it didn't exist. A pre-smog car won't have that problem, but if it ever gets stolen, wrecked, etc, there might be a problem with insurance saying the same thing.

Rustytruck

Bronco Guru
Understand a pre 75 car is not exempt from original smog equipment as built by the manufacturer and is subject to smog checks if caught by law enforcement or even roadside smog checks. It is still against the law to drive an emissions modified car on the street with out special exemption parts. There's just very little chance these days of someone lifting the hood to check. But act stupid and the police can write you up a fix it ticket and force you to visit the smog inspection station if you want to get your truck registered again.

Currently 1975 and older they are exempt from biannual inspections due to cost involved for the limited number of old cars. This privilege can be revoked by the state any time they want to. There are dumb-ass people in this state lobbying every day to remove these exemptions so they can get these old cars scrapped. Such is the life here in California the insane run the asylum.

904Bronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
San Martin, CA
Understand a pre 75 car is not exempt from original smog equipment as built by the manufacturer and is subject to smog checks if caught by law enforcement or even roadside smog checks. It is still against the law to drive an emissions modified car on the street with out special exemption parts. There's just very little chance these days of someone lifting the hood to check. But act stupid and the police can write you up a fix it ticket and force you to visit the smog inspection station if you want to get your truck registered again.

Currently 1975 and older they are exempt from biannual inspections due to cost involved for the limited number of old cars. This privilege can be revoked by the state any time they want to. There are dumb-ass people in this state lobbying every day to remove these exemptions so they can get these old cars scrapped. Such is the life here in California the insane run the asylum.

Very good points I left out...

There is another Bill in progress to move the bi-annual inspection forward to 1981. Not that it has a chance...
They estimated that of the 27 million cars in California, 156,000 are affected by this change. But there would be a loss in $$$ from the testing and registration... Plus those old cars still pollute more than new ones... %)

TheGanzman

Loc.
San Clemente
My experience, registering two pre-1975 Broncos in the State of Kalifornia - they WILL crawl under the vehicle and check that the frame VIN matches the glovebox door VIN...

yewhi

Loc.
San Diego
You're Golden

Be forewarned. If you live in CA and bought it out of state you have 30 days to register it. After that the fines start adding up. They're sneaky bastards too. The fines show up as nondescript fees that you won't know you were fined unless you ask about it.

If the truck is nonop make sure you go in and get the process started even if you can't get there for the vin verification. That way they can't charge you late fees.

ntsqd

heratic car camper
Loc.
Upper SoKA
"Title Only" registration is what I've asked for in the past. Puts it your name, in this State, in Non-Op" status if you need time to get yer ducks in a row.

blubuckaroo

Grease Monkey
Loc.
Ridgefield WA
No, the frame number doesn't need the match the body number. But you do need the documentation for both parts.
Old Broncos are like a lot of other old cars. Parts are parts. Lots of ruined bodies have been replaced. As long as you have the paperwork.

thorgan

When I brought my '69 to California from Nevada back in 2007, I ended up having to take it to the CHP for the VIN inspection since the DMV was not able to find it and I had no idea where it was either. I researched it before going to the CHP appointment. That's when I realized why they couldn't find the VIN. My roll cage kept them from opening the glove box. Incidentally, the CHP did NOT verify that the body VIN matched the frame VIN. They only checked the frame.

crozetcrew

Loc.
Bakersfield
I moved to Bakersfield last Nov. I was in total shock at DMV prices. Cost around $750 to get my 2012 truck registered, smogged and weighed. It's considered a commercial vehicle. Around $1400 total with the other cars. Finally got the last one registered 3 months after moving here lol.

billd987

When dealing with the California Department of Motor Vehicles in person, I'd recommend
having a stiff drink close at hand for when you are done..

ntsqd

heratic car camper
Loc.
Upper SoKA
^^^
This is the reason several have said to use AAA instead.

However, some of the more rural DMV offices are actually quite nice, but I've no idea which ones.