• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Best Practice for AZ roof

MPG_Bronco

Loc.
Chandler
so, I'm getting ready to take the 77 roof of the the 66, prep it for the 75.

it's a full roof, it's all solid and not repairs needed.

my plan is the prep it for the 75. which will get AC for these hot summers.

here is my plan, what do you think?

outside;
sand top smooth, primer grey

inside;
sand any surface rust off, primer grey
line with dyna-mat off brand (cheaper)
run doom light wires (thinking about pluggin them in near the WS & wipers)
head liner... what/where/who would have this... how... is it possible?

mate'ing;
running a rubber strech between fender and roof... would a 1/8 thick rubber stip be enough? or 1/4 inch be better?
this is to help stop rattles and keep water out from rain... or mud...

rear hatch;
shocks, have a handle but no hardware... need to finish that...

Chrome;
I don't want it... how to take off without damaging? anyone want 77 chrome?

this is to keep the wind/noise down... we want a quiet ride... little modern touch if possible.

Rox Crusher

Bronco Guru
Chrome;
I don't want it... how to take off without damaging? anyone want 77 chrome?

if you could figure out how to remove the drip rail chrome without damaging it you could write you own ticket to Bronco stardom

Fireball05

Bronco Guru
Very funny Rox!

Your plan sounds good. The gas liftgate struts are great, you'll like them.

You can buy replacement headliners from all the Bronco vendors, they aren't super fancy or nice though. http://www.wildhorses4x4.com/product/Headliner_Parchment_Color_for_Stock_Wipers

Being in AZ, you need to add another layer of insulation material b/w the sound deadening and the headliner. Lots of choices for that depending on what you want to spend.

Weatherstripping... I bought the Dennis Carpenter front windshield seal and the rear quarter seals. The front one is great, super thick and nice. The rear quarter seals are pretty small and not sure they'll keep all the water out. They are a close match to OEM, so who knows, maybe they'll work. Some photos here: http://classicbroncos.com/forums/showthread.php?t=217484

I just put the HT back on today for the first time after installing new seals, so haven't rain tested or washed it yet, so can give no practical advice, just the worthless drivel above :)

matts460

I used the rubber seals from LMC and have had no rain or random car wash leaks form the seals. Well mabey some from the lower liftgate seal at car wash! OOPS! I think if i had a good hard top in hand i would have the inside line x or ameriguard sprayed! Would definitly cut down on noise and be well insulated! And can be color matched and would never ever fade since it sees no sunlight!

OP
OP
MPG_Bronco

MPG_Bronco

Loc.
Chandler
So moving the roof is awkward, what's the best way to move it safely?

for now we are placing it on the 75 for the car show... I'm not alowd to work on the bronco yet as I haven't sold the mustang.

rustbucket

Bronco Guru
If I'm understanding this right, you are planning on leaving the top primer gray? I'm not sure you aware, but primer is typically not water proof. In fact, it absorbs moisture, which can lead to rust. At the very least, you should put some type of sealer on top of it.

OP
OP
MPG_Bronco

MPG_Bronco

Loc.
Chandler
currently it's 40yr old patina, no primer yet... not that lucky, garage is under construction still..