• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Best Coyote?

OP
OP
Dave

Dave

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Still just kicking it around but it’s a good distraction from other 💩 going on. If I were to find a gen 2 coyote with 6R80, what is required for the install? Not looking for an installation manual but some basics would be helpful. I’m guessing motor mounts are available. How much body lift. Is a Mustang intake required to fit under the hood? Any mods required to the body, frame, or suspension? Headers…

Thanks!

Last edited:

LHardin

Still just kicking it around but it’s a good distraction from other 💩 going on. If I were to find a gen 2 coyote with 6R80, what is required for the install? Not looking for an installation manual but some basics would be helpful. I’m guessing motor mounts are available. How much body lift. Is a Mustang intake required to fit under the hood? Any mods required to the body, frame, or suspension? Headers…

Thanks!
Coyote motor mounts are available from a couple of Bronco suppliers (I recommend welding the engine mounts to the frame in order to handle 450 - 500+ HP). Be very careful when ordering the transmission cross member since I bought mine from a major Bronso parts shop and it didn't come close to fitting the bolt holes (so I had to cut and center the trans mount to fit correctly. Since you're welding, consider welding a longer drop bracket for better fitment of the track bar especially if you install a suspension lift (I did a 2/1/2" suspension lift, and my track bar is now parallel to my steering linkage).

I used a 2 1/2" body lift kit in order to fit the engine under the hood in addition to providing more air in the engine bay to promote better cooling.

I'm not sure what a Mustang intake is but I'm guessing you may ne referring to a "Cold Air Intake. If so, make sure to specify a Gen 2 since it will be shorter than the Gen 3 which needs it longer.

The front inner wheel fenders should be thinned by about 1 1/2" (I took out 1 3/4" and glad I did but the bottom edge needs to be raised so that you can get to the nut on the front shocks. I moved the hole for the steering column over to the driver's side 1 1/2" for greater flexibility in cleating the exhaust headers which also came in real handy for more room between the power steering pump and the steering shaft. When I prepped my engine bay for paint, I welded every hole in the firewall shut first (some were no longer needed, and I wanted to keep the heat and any engine smells out of the cab). What I didn't count on was having to move the brake pedal box over 1/2" since using the original holes, the booster brake bracket rested on a coil pack. I went with the common brake booster bracket, booster tank and master cylinder as most Broncos (because I didn't want to blow thousands of dollars in addition to configuring my power steering pump hoses on a hydro boost braking system) since all of my Gen 2 and Gen 3 coyote trucks have always come with vacuum booster braking and I've never had any problems braking.

Now remember, the information above is only based on my project and I'm no engineer so, although this is what I did, you may have to do something different and mu warranty ends immediately after I hit the reply button that posts this message.

You can do it since it's not complicated and only needs some effort to get it done.

rcmbronc

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Tomah WI
Here is what I did.

I got a Gen 2 F150 motor and 6R80.

Motor mounts from several people are available. I used Tumblin for them and the headers.
Mustang front timing cover. Different front balancer for pulleys.
Remote oil filter
PBH trans fittings and bypass valve
Advance adapter to Dana 20 and crossmember
PBH pulley system with GM Type II Sweet PS pump
Truck intake fits fine. I changed to Mustang for the heck of it.
I bought a Ford Motorsports control pak and modified the firing order in the ECU with HP Tuners

rcmbronc

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Tomah WI
I installed a KMF oil pan but may not be needed. I did run the stock one for a while with no issue.