• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Best Practice for Sealing Unused Holes in Floor (After Paint)

Jeff10

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Indianapolis
Hi You'all,

We hope to be selling our '70 soon. Trying to put the finishing touches on it now.

This question may not have an acceptable answer for a lot of people; but, I'm going to ask and maybe suffer the consequences.

When the Bronco went to paint several years ago a number of the unused holes in the bed and cab area were left untouched. The build has body color matched (at least close in color) bedliner applied to the floor and interior vertical surfaces in the bed area. It actually looks fairly good.

My question is about the holes. Welding them shut isn't an option as I just can't justify the additional cost of stripping the bedliner and redoing it.

It should be noted that there is no rust on this build. I bought the truck with bedliner already applied, so I guess I can't really speak to the metal underneath it. I just know what I have seen. I am very comfortable saying there is no rust.

I am probably leaning more towards bolts/washers with RTV (probably clear) in each hole. I am looking for ideas that are considered acceptable when it's not practical to weld the holes closed.

Whatever I do it will be disclosed in the sale. I just don't want to do something that is considered inappropriate. I have searched the forum and nothing really jumps out at me.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Jeff

Shimmy

Contributor
1977 Bronco
Loc.
Maple Valley
i'd either leave them as is (if it's not too many holes) or find some plastic plugs and paint match them then install in the holes. in my opinion, the color matched plastic plugs is a cleaner flusher solution

ba123

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
CA
I have a few of those as well as will likely use seam sealer.

I also saw this stuff called is800 which is a maybe.

OP
OP
Jeff10

Jeff10

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Indianapolis
Hey Shimmy and ba123,

Both of those are great ideas. I hadn't really thought about caplugs recently, although I have considered them in the past. I took a look at the IS800 products, too. Those are pretty cool.

I'm not sure what the best practice would be for kind of the next best thing to welding them closed.

I appreciate the replies.

Jeff

jeffncs

Contributor
Loc.
Raleigh, NC
I like the cap plug idea.

I’ve used stainless button head bolts for those “extra” holes. They make for a clean appearance and you can get polished stainless or a black stainless finish for a more subdued look.

Honestly - if it was my truck, I may not mess with them unless the holes draw a lot of attention. Doing anything that doesn’t match is like a flashing sign to me, so I’d do what draws the least amount of attention to the holes.

OP
OP
Jeff10

Jeff10

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Indianapolis
Hi,

Most of the holes are probably 3/8" or 1/2" diameter. One of my to-do list items is to count and measure them.

Jeff

Mikes79Bronco

Loc.
Homer Glen, IL
OP
OP
Jeff10

Jeff10

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Indianapolis
Broncobowsher and Mike,

I actually had those in my Amazon cart earlier today. I need to count and measure the holes, just to make sure I get enough.

There are some blue plugs on Ebay that would probably be good, too. The problem is finding them in a small enough size.

I need to get a handle on how many I need before ordering too many or too few.

Jeff

Mikes79Bronco

Loc.
Homer Glen, IL
Broncobowsher and Mike,

I actually had those in my Amazon cart earlier today. I need to count and measure the holes, just to make sure I get enough.

There are some blue plugs on Ebay that would probably be good, too. The problem is finding them in a small enough size.

I need to get a handle on how many I need before ordering too many or too few.

Jeff
Another option, especially for smaller holes would be push in rivets. Not sure if you would find them in blue though.

https://www.grainger.com/category/fasteners/rivets/push-in-rivets

OP
OP
Jeff10

Jeff10

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Indianapolis
Hi Mike,

That's another great suggestion.

I ordered the plugs that Broncobowsher recommended. I also ordered a bunch of different size blue caplugs from DigiKey. I'm not sure how either will do.

If it looks like I need something different I'll look further at the ones you suggested. I may even have some of those from some Jeep work that I was doing.

I appreciate the advice.

Jeff

Mikes79Bronco

Loc.
Homer Glen, IL
Hi Mike,

That's another great suggestion.

I ordered the plugs that Broncobowsher recommended. I also ordered a bunch of different size blue caplugs from DigiKey. I'm not sure how either will do.

If it looks like I need something different I'll look further at the ones you suggested. I may even have some of those from some Jeep work that I was doing.

I appreciate the advice.

Jeff
No problem! Good luck!

NJBronk

Contributor
Something like this https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00PP7XU1E/?tag=classicbroncos-20
Maybe not even that exact one, it was just what showed up really fast in a search. Basicly a rubber grommet for a hole, but solid and not a hole in the middle. I like the softer rubbery ones over the stiff plastic.
I used these exact plugs to fill random holes in my floor, inner fenders, and firewall. my floors are painted black, so I don't notice them at all. Have held up / stayed in place fine.

Shimmy

Contributor
1977 Bronco
Loc.
Maple Valley
I used these exact plugs to fill random holes in my floor, inner fenders, and firewall. my floors are painted black, so I don't notice them at all. Have held up / stayed in place fine.

same. OP, if you want a cleaner look, paint them to match your car.

carter2772

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Camano Island, Wa
Just an idea to kind of think outside the box..... A guy could drill the holes to all the same size, if you have some 1/4 and 3/8 or 1/2, drill them all to 1/2 so they are uniform. Also, are they random as far as location or in a pattern? Would adding 1 or 2 to help make them uniform? Just some thoughts... Would adding nutzerts be an option? I guess seeing what your dealing with could help

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Just an idea to kind of think outside the box..... A guy could drill the holes to all the same size, if you have some 1/4 and 3/8 or 1/2, drill them all to 1/2 so they are uniform. Also, are they random as far as location or in a pattern? Would adding 1 or 2 to help make them uniform? Just some thoughts... Would adding nutzerts be an option? I guess seeing what your dealing with could help
Would rather not see fresh paint tore up just to jam in matching plugs.

ba123

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
CA
For the holes I have, none of those plugs would work. Mine are tiny little holes like maybe from carpet hood downs or something…they are tiny and only notice them when under the bronco.