• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

base coat clear coat or single stadge?

bigbri69

Loc.
tomsriver
its gettin to be about that time and a buddy of mine paints county trucks and cars.so he doin the painting he came by and gave me a list of what to get and he says go with single stadge for what im doin.not gona kill it in the woods but she will go down trails and the trees will do there job.but the guy at the paint shop says to go with a base coat clear coat.the paint color is from dodge thay made a datona pickup in a metalic burnt orange the paint code is pve.what do u guys thing is the better paint.the guy at the paint shop also says metalic is harder to lay with a single stadge.

DRBRONCO69

Chicago Mike
Loc.
Chicago, Illinois
If you plan to use a metallic color, use basecoat clearcoat. Metallics lay out like shit on single stage, and there is no way to nib sand and buff the final coat without ruining the paint job. Final coat with single stage metallic is a "get what you get" finish. Clearcoat is just as strong/durable as single stage, just does not have any color in it.( Same chemical compound ) So when it is layed over basecoat, your end result will be just as durable. The more coats of clear, the better as well. I recommend at least 2 or 3 nice thick coats of clear. If you were going to use a solid color, I would use single stage on a trail rig and lay down 3 thick coats. That way, as it got scratched up, there would be plenty material to wet sand and buff out as necessary. Hope that ramble made sense.;)

Vintage Steel

Loc.
Post Falls, ID
Personally I like imron for single stage, lots of shine, tough as hell and easy to apply. You can color sand and get a showroom shine. I know truck that was painted with imron over 10 years ago. That truck gets the shit beat out of it, More often than not, I see it with well over an inch of mud and rocks covering it, to this day it still buffs out shiny and looks great.

TN1776

Bronco Guru
Metallics or pearls pretty much have to be 2-stage bc/cc. Solid colors come out good with single stage though.

Personally I like imron for single stage, lots of shine, tough as hell and easy to apply.

I shot Imron on my Bronco and I'm very happy with my results, and its very durable. I've rubbed tree limbs down the whole side of my Bronco, and you can barely even notice the scratching. Imron is nasty stuff though and I would not apply it without the proper protective gear, including a forced air respirator, full spray suit, etc. You don't want to get that stuff into your system.

allenfahey

Bronco Guru
I too would go with bc/cc on a metallic. Ask the paint store if they have scratch resistant clear. I know Spies has it for some OEM's. I don't use it because it does not like to be buffed but will hold up better than a MS or HS clear.

72-Madisyn

Loc.
Medford
Imron is nasty stuff though and I would not apply it without the proper protective gear, including a forced air respirator, full spray suit, etc. You don't want to get that stuff into your system.[/QUOTE]

Imron is really really bad for your system, as is any iso. paint product but Imron is horrible, but great paint for durability. Thats all I put on trailers when I paint them.
Back to the topic. As stated, any metallic/pearl is only properly done with base clear. I shot my bronco with PPG single stage, solid white, and it is holding up great, 3 years of being beat on with no problem. Solid color, go single stage, any thing else use base clear for sure.