• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Sport or Base Wagon?

JayM_71Bronco

Got a question and curious to get some thoughts from the group!

Long story short, I have a 1971 Bronco and there is a lot that leads to me to think its a sport model and a lot that makes me think its a base model trim. The reason for asking is the previous owner shaved the emblems and filled the hols when doing the paint over. The truck has chrome trim, chrome tail light bezels, a 3 speed manual trans (C on the VIN), the grill has non raised emblems and no chrome trim. Original interior was parchment 9U.

Other VIN info:
092 - wheel base
4 - regis red - paint
C - trans code
18 - axel code
U150 - Model
U15GL - (302 Michigan u15)

Any thoughts on how to tell if it's a true Sport package or not? Would love to put the emblems back on and dont want to incorrectly badge it. (Pics of the truck in my profile).

Thanks all!

67sport

Contributor
Loc.
Vancouver Island, Canada
As you have asked for thoughts, I will give them. They may not be facts...
I'm not familiar with a sport package that does not include chrome around the grill, headlights, letters, windshield, canopy drip rail, and canopy windows. They sometimes have trim on the dash, but never down the upper body line.
Explorers and Rangers have that trim I think? I've never owned one, so I dont know the ins and outs. You have the fancy horn ring, that's not a Sport thing.
As stated, a Marti report delivers facts, not thoughts.

67sport

Contributor
Loc.
Vancouver Island, Canada
I think maybe the horn ring IS a Sport thing. Hopefully someone can confirm. I forgot mine was modified for a "custom" steering wheel 20 years ago.

okie4570

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
NW OK
Interior
1. Door Panels - Vinyl door trim panels with bright molding
2. Headliner - Hardboard with bright retainers (wagon models only)
3. Floor Mats – Parchment vinyl front mat with bright metal retainers (matching rear mat with optional rear seat)
4. Cigar lighter
5. Horn Ring
6. Steering wheel with woodtone horn pad

Exterior (note: Bright = chrome)
7. Bright metal windshield and window frame
8. Bright metal drip rail moldings
9. Bright grille frame molding and tailgate release handle
10. Bright headlight, tail light, side marker lights and rear reflector bezels
11. Fender emblems, Sport Bronco
12. Argent (gray) painted grille with bright FORD letters
13. Bright bumpers, front and rear
14. Bright front bumper guards
15. Bright metal wheel covers

Any of those items could have been swapped out, changed or even "deleted" from the package when bought, especially the belt-line trim.
https://classicbroncos.com/forums/threads/bronco-trim-packages-sport-ranger-explorer.86338/

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
My 71 is not a sport, but one of the previous owners painted the grille Argent and I installed chrome headlight and tail light bezels. Along with the headliner (bought at the local Ford dealer) and chrome trim/hold downs for the floor.
Every one of those bits and pieces, other than the headliner, I scrounged from Broncos just sitting in the weeds.

So I say, you are right to question it, but the Marti report is so much fun, that even if you weren’t curious, I would get one anyway.
At least the basic. So far I’ve bought three deluxe versions and not unhappy about it.

okie4570

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
NW OK
And I should have noted that if it were a later model than a 71', the trim code would have told you if it were a base or sport. SV was the trim code for Sport Parchment buckets and rear seat. Yours probably just says 9 or 9U. My 71' is a Sport, trim code is 9 for front parchment buckets, no rear seat.

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
And I should have noted that if it were a later model than a 71', the trim code would have told you if it were a base or sport.
No. Definitely not for all years after '71. Maybe some years but I haven't seen enough to tell.

OP
OP
JayM_71Bronco

JayM_71Bronco

Appreciate the replies! Just building off some of the responses here.

Interior:
- Came without door panels
- Has off white colored headliner on the hard top
- Steering wheel is black rubber with satin/chrome ring in the center and the chrome horn ring
- Chrome bezels on tail lights and headlights
- Has cigar lighter
Exterior:
- NO chrome trim on windshield or side windows
- NO chrome trim or raised letters on grille (maybe it was replaced?)
- Chrome bummers
- Chrome handle on rear lift gate
- Main and accessory fuel tanks

Its sort of all over the place so my guess is an odd special order truck with certain add ons and many things left off. Definitely plan to do a Marti at some point so that will be cool to see.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
If there had been the chrome raised F O R D letters on the grill, there would be holes for the studs in the standard stamped letters.

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
Appreciate the replies! Just building off some of the responses here.

Interior:
- Came without door panels
- Has off white colored headliner on the hard top
- Steering wheel is black rubber with satin/chrome ring in the center and the chrome horn ring
- Chrome bezels on tail lights and headlights
- Has cigar lighter
Exterior:
- NO chrome trim on windshield or side windows
- NO chrome trim or raised letters on grille (maybe it was replaced?)
- Chrome bummers
- Chrome handle on rear lift gate
- Main and accessory fuel tanks

Its sort of all over the place so my guess is an odd special order truck with certain add ons and many things left off. Definitely plan to do a Marti at some point so that will be cool to see.

Good luck..

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
Interior
1. Door Panels - Vinyl door trim panels with bright molding
2. Headliner - Hardboard with bright retainers (wagon models only)
3. Floor Mats – Parchment vinyl front mat with bright metal retainers (matching rear mat with optional rear seat)
4. Cigar lighter
5. Horn Ring
6. Steering wheel with woodtone horn pad

Exterior (note: Bright = chrome)
7. Bright metal windshield and window frame
8. Bright metal drip rail moldings
9. Bright grille frame molding and tailgate release handle
10. Bright headlight, tail light, side marker lights and rear reflector bezels
11. Fender emblems, Sport Bronco
12. Argent (gray) painted grille with bright FORD letters
13. Bright bumpers, front and rear
14. Bright front bumper guards
15. Bright metal wheel covers

Any of those items could have been swapped out, changed or even "deleted" from the package when bought, especially the belt-line trim.
https://classicbroncos.com/forums/threads/bronco-trim-packages-sport-ranger-explorer.86338/

Thank you sir...