• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Balance Center Point on a Dana 44

MarsChariot

Contributor
Planetary Offroader
Loc.
Albuquerque, New Mexico
I am experimenting with "Bronco lean" management and was wondering if anyone knows where the left-right weight balance center point is on a Dana 44 with discs? The bottom of the diff is slightly to the right of center. Where would you lift a free axle and have it nearly balanced and level? Inquiring minds want to know.

mrdrnac

Contributor
I just built a HP Dana 44 for my Bronco. If I remember right, it balanced with the jack pad just to the left of the pumpkin, probably about 3" towards the center of the axle.

jckkys

Bronco Guru
I just raised and lowered mine a few times today to measure the collapsed shock length. I won't be able to measure the lift balance point location till tomorrow when the shop opens. But the jack is still right there.

OP
OP
MarsChariot

MarsChariot

Contributor
Planetary Offroader
Loc.
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Thanks for the information. You have probably figured where I am going with this. A lot of us struggle with the standard method of getting the C-bushings equalized on both ends of the axle. The method of having both radius arms detached and trying to get them lined up after the fact is in some cases close to a show-stropper for many. Since I know for a fact that the ends of the axle actually do lift during tightening of the C-bushing bolts, it seemed to me that tracking the lift of each end during tightening with the radius arms attached should get you close(r) to equalized and help reduce Bronco lean to something acceptable. I think I am going to give it a try.

Steve83

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Memphis, TN, USA, Earth, Milky Way
Lift it by the lowest point. If it's not balanced, add weight to the high side, or remove it from the low (wheels, brakes, tools, etc.) until it's balanced.

But I just apply silicone grease to all the bushings' surfaces, and articulate the axle hard right after installation. Either with a floor jack, or by driving. That levels it up before the grease washes/works out.