• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Tire Balance or Worn shocks

HigginsHorse

I've got a fairly stock 71 sport with 3 on the tree and a tired 302. I'm running 33" tires and 3 inch body lift. I normally cruze around town, but I'm planning to drive to Super Celebration 7 hours away. Drives fine 0-60 then develops the shakes until I get to about 70. Feels like a tire is bouncing, but I can't put a finger on which one(s). Shocks have been on the truck at least 17 years.
Do you think this is tire balance, worn shocks or something else?
Thanks,
HH

71broncman

Loc.
Woodland Park, Co
It could be tire balance but, that would normally be evident at any speed, more so at higher speed. If the shocks are weak or worn out, that could cause an out of balance tire to hop at certain speeds, which would lead to cupping on the tire. If the tires haven't been rotated and rebalanced any time recently, it may be wise to do this before the drive to Super Cell. May also be time for a new set of shocks. I don't see it as much anymore but, I used to see vehicles driving down the road with one tire hopping up and down from the problems you listed.
Mark.

OP
OP
H

HigginsHorse

My plan is to get the tires balanced and see if there is any change. If no change, then I'll buy new shocks.
Is there a major difference between shocks the vendors sell and the shocks listed on RockAuto? I'm not trying to cheap out, just wondering if it's really worth the money when I mainly cruze around town (with the occasional 7 hour trip).

SteveL

Huge chevy guy
Loc.
Hawthorne ca
My plan is to get the tires balanced and see if there is any change. If no change, then I'll buy new shocks.
Is there a major difference between shocks the vendors sell and the shocks listed on RockAuto? I'm not trying to cheap out, just wondering if it's really worth the money when I mainly cruze around town (with the occasional 7 hour trip).

Depending on what springs you have shock can make a huge difference in ride quality. I would step up to at least a bilstien 5100 or the new bronco specific eibachs from duff. Also get the bilstiens from a bronco vendor. More likely to be valved correctly for the bronco.

Rustytruck

Bronco Guru
Make sure your tires are still round and not cupping or knife edging. Maybe time to check the date codes on your tires too. junk tires are still junk tires even if you re-balance them.

904Bronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
San Martin, CA
Make sure your tires are still round and not cupping or knife edging. Maybe time to check the date codes on your tires too. junk tires are still junk tires even if you re-balance them.

Yes, anything over 6 yrs now is considered old now, especially parked outside in the sun. Having a tire blow at freeway speeds, due to the heat build up, is no fun.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
And after 7 years most tire companies won't even touch them except to dismount them for new tires to go in their place.

Paul

OP
OP
H

HigginsHorse

Tires don't appear to be miss-shaped at all. They are definitely older than 6 Years, but always parked in the garage.

cofferjl

I would start by simply rotating the tires and see if the problem goes away or shifts to the rear of the vehicle. This will also help to isolate if the problem is a tire or suspension/steering issue. It is also the least expensive to start with.

m_m70

Contributor
Loc.
Pacifica, CA
do you feel it in your steering wheel??

I had a vibration between 60 & 65 that I swore was from a out of balance tire.

turned out it was my fan of all things!! prob not your problem but an interesting story anyway ;D

OP
OP
H

HigginsHorse

I'll try the tire rotation to see if the vibration moves. Checking rod ends is also a good point. Steering wheel doesn't really vibrate, but I'll pay more attention today when I drive. Thanks for the thoughts and ideas.

70 sport WA

I cheaped out and got the least expensive shocks from rock auto a few months ago, put them on and they’re great. Maybe $18 apiece? I do the same kind of driving that you do and they are great for the money.

I was experiencing some shaking on my rig to, but more of the 35 mile an hour range. Tires had lots of tread left and they were like 10 years old and the truck spent a lot of time sitting in the garage. Got those replaced everything was fine. Thought it might’ve been the track bar bushing and replace that but it was definitely the tires. Possible that you can get them balanced and I agree try that first.

Rustytruck

Bronco Guru
have a friends car with a passenger make a video of each tire as you drive down the road. 10 minutes of work could point you in the right direction.

73azbronco

Bronco Guru
tire balance, rotate tires, then no good fix shocks. Then suspension, then new motor, then new tranny, paint, seats, etc....

bronconut73

Bronco Guru
I chased a vibration like that for twenty years.
But like a lot of things when you are building a vehicle you can't find some of the issues until they get bad enough to show themselves.
Mine was the double cardan u-joint/cv joint on the top of the rear driveshaft. Chased it for years.....

Now having said that,

17 year old shocks should be replaced especially before a 7 hour trip. Thank me later.

I would not consider buying any eb suspension parts from anybody other than one of our eb vendors.
The Bilsteins and Duff Eibachs that California Steve mentioned above is the ticket.

No doubt that your tires have flat spotted from sitting.
Some tires will round back out and some don't.

73azbronco

Bronco Guru
Today, bad feeling after EB sat for maybe 5 years 15psi on 35 KM2;s. Odd vibes on first long distance drive as in flat spotted tires. Will let you know more next few days.

Best shocks? Have new Rancho 9000 adjustables.

crashmc2

I got a '69 recently and I've been trying to research what my vibration could be. I was assuming it was bad shocks, out of balance tires, imbalanced drive shafts, or flat spots. I have an F150 with the same tires (BFG A/T KO2 but they're 37s on the F150, 33s on the Bronco) and after it was stored for a long time, there was a shake in it from flat spots on 2 separate occasions. I attributed it to flat spots, ran freeway miles and speeds, and it eventually went away. It was a mere nuisance but not concerning. I've got aftermarket mid travel, triple bypass shocks, etc. so it's smooth as butter except when those tires sit and get flat. I'd love to get that suspension performance out of my Bronco, but let's be honest here... haha

But the Bronco feels like it wants to shake apart, as if the tire is egg shaped and bouncing/shaking or there's a bolt gone and there's a part of the suspension that's loose. Starts at 55 mph and (if I remember right) it will kind of chill out at 70. I didn't want to go that fast, but I had to figure out if faster would cause a change. It actually helped on my Raptor when it had that shake that ended up being the tires, but I had to get to 80. It sometimes goes away with smooth pavement, but not every time. CO highways are also an absolute waste of taxpayer's money, so that doesn't help. I can run my F150 over washboard terrain and it won't shake like those highways will make it shake. But if the pavement smooths out, the shake sometimes does too. It'll come back on the Bronco more often than not, though. Only when I'm turning on a curve in the highway at higher speeds will the shake transfer to the steering wheel, but just enough to feel a jiggle without remotely feeling uncomfortable. Otherwise the wheel is steady. I'll get lucky and the whole truck will get to a little bit of harmony at speeds faster than 55 for a short time, until some input disrupts the peace. The only reason I'm concerned it's not the tires is the intensity of the shake. To borrow someone else's description, it's like I'm in a space shuttle launch. Or even like I'm driving over a washboard. Or getting wheel hop at 55 mph. The shake you get in the body of the vehicle from the start of wheel hop is the best way to describe it. Just without loss of traction. The part of wheel hop where it starts fast, right before the bounces gets wider apart as the suspension bounces more, only it never gets wider apart.

I've looked at the suspension and nothing is missing, but I'll need to get into a shop with tools to check for tightness and condition of bushings. I got to smooth backroads to make sure it wasn't the poor road quality of the undulating highways and it'll still pick up right at 55, so I don't think it's rough input from the road causing an uncontrollable bounce (LIKE wheel hop, but not. My description earlier wasn't saying that's what it is). So suspension is likely out the window.

The track bar upper bushing looks new, but I can't see if the hole is deformed. The shake isn't in the steering wheel, so I'm not sure it's a "death wobble". That's actually one thing no one ever states specifically, is if the death wobble is transferred to the steering wheel. I assume it would be, because all the videos I've seen the pitman arm is moving. It's a curious thing no one has stated that, though. Obviously a death wobble is a whole truck shake, but my truck has nothing in the steering wheel. Also means it's not a front tire if it's the tires. Because I'm not well versed in that issue, I'm not ruling that out until someone here has a compelling argument against it being the cause.

I'll also check to see that the 23 gallon gas tank is strapped in solid too. I didn't think of that until writing this. It's not a rubber strap though, it's a solid bar and bolts. Just physics of the sloshing fluid wouldn't make it shake, maybe unevenly wobble/jiggle, so that's likely not it.

I can't verify if the frame is bent, but I've seen no cracked welds or frame damage.

It could most likely be the tires, so I'll start there. The fact that it'll come and go makes me feel it's a tire issue more than shock/suspension. Plus it starts at a specific speed, but in the past I've felt out of balance tires start wobbling at 45 not 55. But it shakes the hood and rattles the truck hard, so it makes me feel there's more than just an imbalanced tire. Hence the reason to post and get ideas. A hub bearing could be the culprit, but I don't hear a drone/metallic whine from any corner of the truck.

It'll be about 2 weeks at the earliest until I can get to it, but I can't stop trying to figure it out. I'll also be an hour from Wild Horses once I'm back in town, so maybe I'll stop by there and see what they say if they're willing to look at it.

I just got it, so I'm trying to identify all the PO's mods and upgrades. I'll list them so folks have an idea of what the truck has.

'69 Bronco soft top
-3 speed (rebuilt 3k miles ago) with D20: no leaks
-2.5" lift (?): no labels on the shocks but the truck sits up a little and has a progressive rate coil spring, 11 leaf pack, and a 4" drop pitman arm; stock radius arms, track bar, steering linkage, and knuckles
-No body lift (?); I can't ID body lifts on an EB due to no experience, plus I've never done a body lift because I've just modified fenders to make tires work. But at most it's a 1" lift, if at all.
-Power steering, but gear box has play in it; unknown model
-4 wheel power disc brakes
-Worked over 302 that runs strong, aftermarket radiator, ignition
-23 gallon fuel tank
- Drive shafts look new, stock D30 and 9"

Any thoughts or questions?

Sent from my SM-G975U1 using Tapatalk