• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Engine balance confusion

CabinCruiser

Contributor
I'm about to build my first engine and I simply can't wrap my head around the balancing.
I have a 302 block that I would like to stroke out to 347.
I would like to use the explorer serpentine system from sanndmann3 for the front dress.

What should I look for in a rotating assembly kit?

Does the top end have any impact on the balance?

I was looking at this

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/esp-b16323ma030/make/ford

which says it is externally balanced, 28oz, and comes with a flexplate and an harmonic balancer designed for a serpentine belt system. What would I need to do to make this compatible with the explorer system.
Alternatively, does anyone have a rotating assembly they would recommend?
Thanks

OP
OP
C

CabinCruiser

Contributor
I should mention this is for a street cruiser. Don't care about going particularly fast or offroad. Just want simplicity and reliability.

nvrstuk

Contributor
Just a Bronco driver for over 50 yrs!
28 or 50. Typo above.

Go with what Buckwild said but have it rebalanced to 28

Teal68

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Inlet Beach
When I click that link it makes no mention of a balancer or flexplate. It does mention"balanced" though. That tells me 0 instead of 28 or 50. Damper Dudes in combination with Sandman should do the trick.

nvrstuk

Contributor
I've had Dampner Dudes rebalance to several differeent weights.

Good service, kinda have to watch some tolerances when you get your HB back. Good stuff, check your product.

OP
OP
C

CabinCruiser

Contributor
When I click that link it makes no mention of a balancer or flexplate. It does mention"balanced" though. That tells me 0 instead of 28 or 50. Damper Dudes in combination with Sandman should do the trick.
It says that the flex plate and harmonic balancer are inlcuded in the kit and it also says:
Engine Balance:
External, 28 oz. imbalance

I assumed that meant the flex plate and HB were 28oz.
So my plan would be to discard the HB that comes with the kit, and either use damper dudes or a machine shop to rebalance the 50oz HB that comes with the explorer front dress to 28oz and I should be good to go.
Am I getting there?

Thanks again

bmc69

Contributor
Bronco Guru
It says that the flex plate and harmonic balancer are inlcuded in the kit and it also says:
Engine Balance:

So my plan would be to discard the HB that comes with the kit, and either use damper dudes or a machine shop to rebalance the 50oz HB that comes with the explorer front dress to 28oz and I should be good to go.
Am I getting there?

Thanks again
The simple and key answer is that you always have whatever engine you are assembling, fully balanced. Your specific collection of pieces and parts balanced. Makes a world of difference in most cases and is the key to how I've built reliable 8500+ RPM race engines on factory cast iron 302 blocks.

Teal68

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Inlet Beach
Engine Balance:

Am I getting there?

Thanks again
That is crazy.....now when I click it it has the exact same spec's you are saying. Odd!

Broncobowsher

Total hack
I would just get the 50 oz-in rotating assembly and that will let you use a stock un-modified Explorer damper. You still get a left over damper, but you don't need a modified one.

OP
OP
C

CabinCruiser

Contributor
I would just get the 50 oz-in rotating assembly and that will let you use a stock un-modified Explorer damper. You still get a left over damper, but you don't need a modified one.
Right, so I had thought of that also, but I found it difficult to find one for sale. Do you have a recommendation?

nvrstuk

Contributor
I haven't seen any low end kits with that balance option but have you called whoever sells the kit you have to see if they'd go that route?

Also, what frt dress are you going with?

You can buy aftermarket balancers that you can remove the balancing weights and change it from 50 to 28 to neutral balance.

I would still have it checked for balance by a competent machine shop but the "adj weight HB" I had checked out fine at a machine shop at 28 & neutral balance- I was surprised

Last edited:
OP
OP
C

CabinCruiser

Contributor
Thanks for the advice everyone,
I'll call around and see if there is a kit offered. If not and it's going to need to be checked out by a machine shop either way, I think I'll just have them do the rebalancing.