• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Anyone running the Ruffstuff Y-link steering?

Kauai72Bronco

Looks like a sweet setup. Any of you guys try it out on the D44 yet?

http://www.ruffstuffspecialties.com/catalog/YLINK.html

ylink.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
K

Kauai72Bronco

Look's like they build their own tie-rods out of DOM tube. Are you talking about the TRE's themselves?

fordtrucksrule

I have ordered 2 of those kits i love them. makes tir rod over very easy and they are very STOUT and super easy to adjust toe in and toe out.

68Olblue

Loc.
Auburn
The Tie rod ends are bad ass but they don't build their own. Ruff stuff will send you the Dom and you have to weld the tie rod ends on and I also believe you need to cut them to fit your axle as well. Not sure though

Apogee

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Directly from RuffStuff's website:

You will receive:

•2 - 48" of 1.5" X .25" wall DOM tubing

•4 - 7/8" Hex Head Weld Bungs, 2 LH & 2 RH, 18TPI for Tie Rod Ends

•4 - 7/8" Jam Nuts, 2 LH & 2 RH, 18TPI for Tie Rod Ends

•4 - Tie Rod Ends, 1 for the Y Link, 2 for the Tie Rod, & 1 High Angle TRE for the pitman arm

The DOM lengths must be cut/fit and then the bungs welded into the DOM to finish the links and make them ready to install. FWIW, this type of steering linkage is typically referred to as an inverted "T-linkage" by most other manufacturers and people, so if you're checking out PartsMike's website or anyone else's, keep that in mind.

The 76-77 EB/F150 had the dreaded inverted-Y steering linkage where there is no continous tie-rod, but rather a drag link that connected the steering box to the far knuckle and then another link that intersected the middle of the drag-link to connect to the other knuckle. While a decent idea for a TTB suspension setup, it's terrible for any solid axle application with oversized tires IMHO.

Apogee

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Sexton offroad has a complete unit that is around $250.00 complete and ready to install.

This one? It looks like it's $259.99 and it uses 1.125" x .188" wall DOM which is tapped directly for the 7/8-18 GM 1-ton TRE's, much like the PartsMike kit but with smaller DOM. Of the three kits discussed so far, only the RuffStuff kit uses weld-in bungs, which can be a good or bad thing depending on the installer. I personally like to be able to fit the tie-road and drag link lengths during installation and don't mind welding, so it's a plus in my book, but others will feel differently. DOM size between RuffStuff and PartsMike looks comparable at 1.5" OD. The tapped DOM kits will come cut to whatever length you specify and pre-tapped, so making changes after the fact to adjust most likely won't be an option.

Most of the 1-ton GM kits are comparable...but you'd be hard pressed to beat RuffStuff's shipping deal considering the weight involved IMO.

OP
OP
K

Kauai72Bronco

Cutting the Ruffstuff kit down should be easy, huh? Can't you just use the stock tierod as a template to get the length right, cut/weld and be done with it? Even running 38's, I doubt I'd have to touch my steering for at least a decade if running the ruffstuff kit.