• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Anyone remember the days when...

Rustytruck

Bronco Guru
Ah the old Armstrong Norseman and Trutrac tires well hell throw in the Gates Commando tires to one hell of a trio back then. you weren't shit if you weren't running one of these. I always wanted a set of desert Dogs. back then you couldn't buy a set of new tires in these sizes when you were 18 unless you bought a pair at a time at most. Then along came Dick Cepik who opened the flood gates and provided financing.

ssray

Loc.
South Central NE
I think I still have the old Gates tires buried out in the building. These had the zig zag tread that ran radially around the tire? Gonna have to go look sometime and see.

Scott

Ah the old Armstrong Norseman and Trutrac tires well hell throw in the Gates Commando tires to one hell of a trio back then. you weren't shit if you weren't running one of these. I always wanted a set of desert Dogs. back then you couldn't buy a set of new tires in these sizes when you were 18 unless you bought a pair at a time at most. Then along came Dick Cepik who opened the flood gates and provided financing.

nvrstuk

Contributor
Just a Bronco driver for over 50 yrs!
I remember my "wife to be" purchasing items from the small Dick Cepek catalog for Christmas for me. ;) Sure couldnt afford Desert Dogs or a set of Norseman's but I can tell you where that tire shop was located 50 yrs ago as I'd go there and drool over them a few times/year! lol

Me2carcrazy1

Contributor
I went to the Ford dealer in 1978 to buy a 1975 Ford Courier with a camper shell. It was sitting next to a very nice looking and tempting used Bronco. My friend's brother had a '66 Bronco at that time that he "worked on" and it rarely ran. Thinking about all the problems he had with it I stuck with the Courier. I got rid of that truck in 1983. My friend still had his brother's '66 Bronco sitting non-op on his ranch in 2019. I went to see about buying it and instead bought his running 1976 Bronco next to it. At least this time I got a Bronco...

blubuckaroo

Grease Monkey
Loc.
Ridgefield WA
We factory ordered our '77.
We've since owned quite a few cars.
We had a low mileage '83 Cavalier Wagon, that we had just outgrown. I was using the Bronco as my work car. My wife suggested that we trade in the Bronco and keep the Cavalier for my work car.?:? She said the Bronco is getting old and is starting to cost for repairs.
I told her, that the Bronco's repairs have never cost more than the Cavalier's monthly payment.
We kept the Bronco, but yes, at one point it did cost some money, but it wasn't because it broke down. It was because just wanted to spend money on it.;)

MarsChariot

Contributor
Planetary Offroader
Loc.
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Here's another "remember when". Remember when the national speed limit was 55mph? That was the perfect speed for driving a Bronco all over creation. And I did, coast to coast on occasion. You could drive a Bronco comfortably all day, anywhere. Then the limit went to 75mph and you had to go at least that fast or be run off the road. Even going that fast these days, you get practically run off the road by cars going way faster. And driving that fast in a Bronco is not nearly as much fun as 55 anyway. Too much wind and mechanical noise to enjoy the scenery like back when.

blubuckaroo

Grease Monkey
Loc.
Ridgefield WA
Here's another "remember when". Remember when the national speed limit was 55mph? That was the perfect speed for driving a Bronco all over creation. And I did, coast to coast on occasion. You could drive a Bronco comfortably all day, anywhere. Then the limit went to 75mph and you had to go at least that fast or be run off the road. Even going that fast these days, you get practically run off the road by cars going way faster. And driving that fast in a Bronco is not nearly as much fun as 55 anyway. Too much wind and mechanical noise to enjoy the scenery like back when.

I get that.
Ours is built to comfortably travel that fast, but the aerodynamics just don't agree.

ssray

Loc.
South Central NE
Here's a photo from a slide marked as 1975. My sister had painted the tire cover for me. Had the Commando tires on there then but the flares for the rear not installed yet. Another relic from the past if you can pick it out beyond the Bronco.

Scott

Attachments

• 20211027_114036.jpg
    20211027_114036.jpg
    121 KB · Views: 101
Last edited:

broncojack

Contributor
This is Hayward Ford in Ca.
They were a high performance dealer.

Attachments

• hayward7.jpg
    hayward7.jpg
    231.8 KB · Views: 75

Pa PITT

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Stephenville TEXAS
Mars you mentioned back when the speed limit was 55.
...Well as old as I am ..I remembered when it was 60 &then 65 &then 70 &then back down to 55.. 55 sure sucked unless you were in a Bronco.
THEN THE MILEAGE went to 75.... I've came to the same conclusion for my Bronco. 45 TO 55 ONLY.. ON any trips into town.. 45 & 50 is just all I WANT IN MINE .
... sO I like only about 50 . & Yes it does make for a much nicer trip to town.

nvrstuk

Contributor
Just a Bronco driver for over 50 yrs!

Yeah, but if you were "lucky enough" to live in Wa with Dixie Lee Ray as Governor back then, you could have been driving your Bronco at 50 mph in 1977 because for some reason WA decided if the US Nat'l speed limit was 55mph then WA needed to go slower at 50mph

Jakedog

Here's a photo from a slide marked as 1975. My sister had painted the tire cover for me. Had the Commando tires on there then but no flares for the rear yet. Another relic from the past if you can pick it out behind the Bronco.

Scott

Technically you're behind the bronco, but if you're talking about the background I think I see an outhouse.