• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

77 F150 400/435/205 in my 69 EB

BulletC

This is a really clean low mileage 400 . Are there any pictures of any that might have went this route.
All my 69 is is just a solid body and frame. I have a big bearing rear and a drum 44 I plan on using out of a 74 EB .

Apogee

Contributor
Bronco Guru
FWIW, I have not gone that route, however I have swapped a 429 in place of a 400 in my '77 F150, and they're very similar in size/weight/etc., which makes them a somewhat difficult swap into an EB engine compartment, but not impossible. Front engine dress and radiator clearance is a challenge on the 429/460 swaps I've seen, and the firewalls will need to be modified for head clearance in most instances. I've seen custom tubular manifolds on 460 swaps in EB's instead of headers, so I imagine some federwell exits could work well, especially if you're running full-width axles.

Quick & Dirty

400 is the same length as a 302, but significantly taller and wider. Same bore spacing (4.38") but 2" more deck height. Has unique engine mounts. It uses the big block bellhousing, so floor clearance may be an issue. The 205 is close to the frame, but clears.

1dJzBfh.jpg

79INA69

Have this combo, with older design ORD doubler. Motor mounts lined up on original pads. It is much taller and longer. Radiator and valve cover choice will be problem areas. Im not currently a contributor, but could send some pics if you need. I had a 79f150 crawler I robbed the drivetrain out of when I bought my 69 Bronco roller tub. Not an easy route to take. Maybe if you widen your frame 12" right now, you'll be good.