• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

74 Retractable Bikini Top - Where to Find

Pops68

Contributor
Bronco Rookie
Loc.
Bazetta Township
Not sure what you mean by 'retractable' bikini top. Most likely each vendor on this site sells a bikini top and a family style bikini top, but I have never heard of or seen one that is 'retractable'. They are all removable, however.

I could be wrong here, and, if so I apologize.

Your pictures didn't help ME any......maybe someone else can see what you are referring to.

Pops

Teal68

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Inlet Beach
What you are seeing in those pics are the bows laid back from a full soft top

OP
OP
W

Wcr7675

Ok. But the bows have the soft top attached and you are able to treat it like a covertible (retract)?

Is that what I'm understanding? thanks for your help.

Pops68

Contributor
Bronco Rookie
Loc.
Bazetta Township
Soft tops are removable. I have a Rampage: Rear window can be rolled up or zipped out; side windows can be zipped out; top can then be left on (like a family bikini top) or completely removed and the bows laid down - assuming they would fit past the last hoop of a family cage.

Not sure about other brand tops - Bestop, Kayline, or BC - but I think they possibly are similar in function.

Hope this helps.

Pops

Nobody

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Stanwood
No, the bows are just a frame and the top is stretched over them. It takes a bit of effort to take the top off and put it back on. Nothing retracts.

Sporto

Hi Paul,
Is this a new design? Is it similar to the bikini top that covers a family cage, and finally does it work with the Bestop riser?

Thanks for the interesting link.

To the OP,
There are several designs of full soft tops available today. Some are easier to fold down when the sun is out (Rampage) than others (Bestop). I have owned both types, and have had good luck with either. These tops, do not really retract like a convertible or even a Jeep Wrangler (one piece fold up and back). I suppose the Rampage top would be considered similar to that, the riser has a quick release channel that allows for the front of the top to be lifted up and back over the roll bar to fold in front of the tailgate. The Bestop has a sliding groove riser that is more time consuming to remove that the Rampage top. The frame hardware and riser in the pictures are that of a Bestop. The other top mentioned was the BC Broncos top, and while it is the highest quality top on the market (IMO), it is not easily removed or folded back. I am not sure if there is more to it than that, but if you have more questions feel free to post.

Thanks

Rich :cool:

5001craig

Contributor
Bronco Guru
My Father-In-Law runs a soft top and pretty much doesn't remove the very top of it. I run a Bikini top and pretty much only run it when it in inclement weather. I like to call it "my convertible" and like to run it without a top.

It was spitting rain this day:

2khkl5WRzToudY_cP43NUeLLnQLItZ3GLL1R1oG3dmOrxl_NTKBi8TnVmFKym0K1CIMhUgTMMbpvfvFbGhLYUouprGV-k8EChz2ssmpNLpj_9Tg3EKY46w8ByW_f7euiqYJyfQloI8sdGVfH5f3XCbVHA3zuR0_5YA7QywXNb2wYnS87AgYk56VuNdCRczBbB8ScUGCpXa84jzCLErELv7HeArhV5DZ2K3X1wAcZgBRJqDRmJUxlo8wBQKOqLvMy3nGXyG0-T3R3oZTvGHe6MuF0uHu3IFmwXZZE2cgB_Woo3_VLlmvMtcDsLm-zx5lu6skyu7uP6uFsBib84a9Ff4ZEHRhrCp3Hs-YA2jt5rRDGPJ0jKfPbN9BWgIWF2ysPdqWNalAMzAIFUMvjrByridXIvI6LBplkCssernEZRbfknE-ufcKX6JqIUq_8TNCrPcPmKBXDAHqPfLbNsHikeXCLlm_YYIdkohMbL8THxjq_pg56NO9OyHoNcpXTFAEGC0fTqIkos7Vk1KshTopAZb92IWHqjs8N8t2McPMrZY0VULxLRoYLhg5AMCwnBLYLu_EwAaw6ZifDcaKr8SR1Fxanttnk6ExE56xJJOO6-cRZyf_SV1L3qQ=w1263-h801-no

And here's my FIL's '75 he built about 20 years ago:

SmSN1ODYb2p3N6X8VJAxJMpJ_LMimQZ1Vcv3IA24Szjd7cBNP29uf50Nv7seSTqS2WdZYV49zhHwB-wk5Yv2O0QOKOFJLW7zjp40v-z7i0j7gsyiJpKdenNbLf27sCST_aitpGFqgcyFXmrPE9KhL-Npcq4Mil_ZirOmcMx5eExDu0rY3ja5O0ahqT-S4kVtcCZadbLRDWThKoS6oz0QlizTpBlzHVLA8G_1y1lEot6AuwAmo6HaWb-kpl_CKZT_7Cvu2CQE7WslDk4qAG_te3zkj-moGp7_S727_IKkpYAxeOqaxyRPSxEUqzbNgjTLBXMNPqU7br8iwurnCB9gbI8aZ6CdFfibw_cbj7MaivanNh9WtxCegd_6IrWzQ4eRUh23wnIu03WUKIU7O4m8VC1RzaW0Hk_UW2vIWr-6_PnKfD0LpIRsqPdqC2elJohE-prC6UBLRUWGFWkjfUEgL8Fxluu-4LqVrsfPtKUB6XbPv_AxcTEQNoHc_zZaAvqxNG9BrEMgdGw1lh1TyU6R90DLXQpuBPNVEKpXB3vhHIqwYUSvbrPtE_2I1JiWAVFcy-jvFucva8BULgMFlC1vhgbvoD_z4dQZHP8APV2_YMEqEIMoGjHs7g=w1765-h993-no

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Is this a new design?

About a year old or so.

Is it similar to the bikini top that covers a family cage?

Pretty much the same thing, but with a flap like the old long-johns;D%)
But we could probably make up one for a short bikini if that's what someone wants. We make them in-house, like most of our other upholstery stuff, so ask away if you have custom needs.

And finally does it work with the Bestop riser?

Good question. I was just about to answer with a "Whichever one you have." but I should double check because maybe it's got it's own mounting method for the front. Frankly I doubt it though, because it would be reinventing the wheel when not needed. If you already have one of the risers, you should be able to use it with this.

For any bikini/rollbar top needs, or for things like soft top storage boots and stuff like that, you can call in any time to see what we can do. Did a beautiful fill family bikini in a great looking special black material with cool orange piping to match his paint. Piece of cake, but he did have to supply the materials to keep the price down. We have to buy in bulk from our suppliers most of the time, where he was able to find a supplier he could get small batches.
Worked out extremely well.

Paul

Sporto

About a year old or so.

Pretty much the same thing, but with a flap like the old long-johns;D%)
But we could probably make up one for a short bikini if that's what someone wants. We make them in-house, like most of our other upholstery stuff, so ask away if you have custom needs.

Good question. I was just about to answer with a "Whichever one you have." but I should double check because maybe it's got it's own mounting method for the front. Frankly I doubt it though, because it would be reinventing the wheel when not needed. If you already have one of the risers, you should be able to use it with this.

Paul

I think, I found the answer. If it is pretty much the same as your basic offering, and then modified with the screen, then this may work with both.

See below.

http://www.wildhorses4x4.com/product/Family_Cage_Roll_Bar_Top/Early_Bronco_Bestop_Top

Right?