• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

‘66 pitman arm bored to fit the larger drag link

Gas Pig

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Over the years I collected a few stock ‘66 pitman arms. As you guy probably know the 66’s used a slightly small bore for that spring dampened ball joint top of the ‘66 drag link. Anyhow I’d like to get a reaming tool to in large the hole to except the 67 on up drag link ends. Has anyone done this and do you know the size and taper of the tool needed?

Thanks Jeff

Contributor
I reamed mine out to fit 2005+ super duty tie rod ends. You shouldn’t have a problem.
Someone will be along shortly to give you the exact tool needed.

thegreatjustino

Contributor
Red Head Grease Monkey
Loc.
Stockton, CA
This is the one you need.

66 1/2 cab

How does this improve your 66. Does the it help with Drive ability? I have a 66 and I’m not a mechanically inclined person

Yeller

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Rogers County Oklahoma
It allows you to use later model steering linkage which improves handling. The later pieces are stronger and more precisely manufactured for a better feel.

bfoldy

Contributor
Loc.
Torrance, CA
I also have a '66 and seem to remember that the hole on the pitman arm is the same bore as the '76-'77s. When I updated my draglink and tie rods a few years back, I used a '76-'77 style that is used to convert from Y to T style.