• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Pitman arm positiin

jamesroney

Contributor
Loc.
Fremont, CA
Power Steerin Pitman Arm
72------D3TZ 3590-A
73/75--D3TZ 3590-A
76/77--D6TZ 3590-B

Note:
The 6 turn PS box @jamesroney loaned me came with a pitman arm with casting # C8TA-3590-F.

Thanks for the MPC info. By the way, That 6 turn box has 4 turn internals. (I know, because I installed them.) And the pitman arm was an extra that came from my stash. So there’s no telling where I got it.

Oldtimer

Contributor
Jr. Member with Sr. moments
Loc.
Sunnyvale, CA
But you didn't re-stamp tag from "SPA Z" to "SPA AU"
I would suspect all the pitman arms would use same casting, since arm length and twist angle of tie rod hole is static.

jamesroney

Contributor
Loc.
Fremont, CA
But you didn't re-stamp tag from "SPA Z" to "SPA AU"
I would suspect all the pitman arms would use same casting, since arm length and twist angle of tie rod hole is static.
I think the power steering pitman arm uses a different casting. I think it’s fatter. I’ll have to find a stone stock 73 Stroppe and get a picture. I know where I can find one tomorrow.

jamesroney

Contributor
Loc.
Fremont, CA
I think the power steering pitman arm uses a different casting. I think it’s fatter. I’ll have to find a stone stock 73 Stroppe and get a picture. I know where I can find one tomorrow.
@Oldtimer I found this one. It's as I remember. Fatter, heavier, and stronger. With "pwr stg" cast in it. And offset the same as the manual one.

Attachments

• IMG_9096.jpeg
    IMG_9096.jpeg
    233.3 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:

Oldtimer

Contributor
Jr. Member with Sr. moments
Loc.
Sunnyvale, CA
Stock arm on 68 with manual steering is same casting number. See post 20 for edit.

To end the hi-jack, and respond to @hunter1 original request:
Four turn factory box at center of travel, with factory pitman arm keyed to sector shaft
is pointing at center of DS coil spring (standard width, D44).

1713575984997.png

1713575999829.png