• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

5vz Toyota 3.4 four cam 5 speed automatic transmission

bigdaddyof4

Loc.
Vincennes, IN
A 19 year old kid in Bolivia jus put a 5vz Toyota 3.4 four cam 5 speed automatic transmission in an EB. Just thought it was interesting 😊

OP
OP
bigdaddyof4

bigdaddyof4

Loc.
Vincennes, IN
898f966f0bca644c9c87a9121a5d9f0a.jpg
4ccb491bc8ce998963587e3b517419d9.jpg

73azbronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Had that motor in my Taco, sold it at 210,000 miles and going on strong.

roundhouse

Bronco Guru
My 96 yota had 315K on it when I sold it and it was running great
No clue why this guy used a automatic
The Toyota 5 speed manuals are the best manuals on the planet . The NV3550 is almost a direct copy.
Those motors are indestructible
Don't blow out spark plugs...
Don't eat coil packs ...
Don't snap off spark plugs ...
Don't eat cam phasers ...

I don't Facebook , I have an actual life instead. So only info I will see about this swap is whatever someone posts here

Last edited:

broncoitis

Bronco Guru
That is pretty interesting! What kind of power do they put out and can they move the little bread box around efficiently. Although I never owned one I always thought that the older Toyotas were somewhat underpowered.

TOOLMAN

The predecessor of the 3.4 was the 3.0 which was absolutely gutless. Also had a penchant for blowing head gaskets. That 3.4 is good and torquey, also pretty bulletproof as previously mentioned. I think it would be alright. Definitely better with a 5-speed. I think putting the 2uz-fe 4.7 V8 with an auto in a Bronco would be pretty sweet!

Rustytruck

Bronco Guru
Why haters this motor makes perfect sense in Bolivia.
I wish I had the guts to take the 3.5 out of my Nissan Pathfinder and put it in a Bronco and see how it would do. Talk about haters if I did that.

EFI Guy

Sponsor/Vendor
TheEFIguy@gmail
Loc.
BFE
There were plenty of LS haters, but not a word on this?

Give it time, some of us have been busy this morning.

I'm a hater, partially because I'm a brand loyalist and a "buy American" sort of guy. The other part of me just despises working on Japanese trucks. The only thing I despise more than Japanese trucks are the newer British offerings. This is coming from a guy that works on mostly Porsche, BMW, VW, Audi as a day job.

Fortunately, those Toyotas are pretty reliable and take very little to keep them going. They aren't immune from problems, but with proper maintenance I see 300k out of them quite a bit.

Having said that, I give the kid Kudos. I have no idea what the Ford V8 market is like in Bolivia but I suspect it was much easier to find the Toy motor, and it will likely be easier to source replacement parts for a Toy motor than a Ford V8 down there. And, at 19 years old I admire his ambition to tackle a project like that.

Now, if it were one of you guys that did it, make no mistake, I would be in your build thread poking fun at you. ;D

OP
OP
bigdaddyof4

bigdaddyof4

Loc.
Vincennes, IN
I truly admire this kid he says "I work all day in a Porsche consecionaria and step classes at the university
for two weeks I've been working about two to three hours in the jeep
And I still do not quite" direct quote I'll let you decipher it. I explained to him we never call am EB a jeep lol

Ly-mo

Wouldn't be my first choice for an engine swap, but as others have said- they are indestructible. As a dealership tech, I routinely saw Tacos with way over 300k on the first engine. More than enough power to pull a bronco around- I'd want 4.56 gears or deeper though.

73azbronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
My guess is the availability of 302/5.0 let alone 351 is nil down there.

panteramatt

My 96 yota had 315K on it when I sold it and it was running great
No clue why this guy used a automatic
The Toyota 5 speed manuals are the best manuals on the planet . The NV3550 is almost a direct copy.
Those motors are indestructible
Don't blow out spark plugs...
Don't eat coil packs ...
Don't snap off spark plugs ...
Don't eat cam phasers ...

I don't Facebook , I have an actual life instead. So only info I will see about this swap is whatever someone posts here

HA well said about facebook.

panteramatt

Give it time, some of us have been busy this morning.

I'm a hater, partially because I'm a brand loyalist and a "buy American" sort of guy. The other part of me just despises working on Japanese trucks. The only thing I despise more than Japanese trucks are the newer British offerings. This is coming from a guy that works on mostly Porsche, BMW, VW, Audi as a day job.

Fortunately, those Toyotas are pretty reliable and take very little to keep them going. They aren't immune from problems, but with proper maintenance I see 300k out of them quite a bit.

Having said that, I give the kid Kudos. I have no idea what the Ford V8 market is like in Bolivia but I suspect it was much easier to find the Toy motor, and it will likely be easier to source replacement parts for a Toy motor than a Ford V8 down there. And, at 19 years old I admire his ambition to tackle a project like that.

Now, if it were one of you guys that did it, make no mistake, I would be in your build thread poking fun at you. ;D

Im with you. Diehard FORD guy but Im looking for a used commuter car and looking at the jetta TDI but they have their problems.