• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

A Toyota engine in an early bronco?

Buck.n.Bronco

Blasphemy for purists perhaps, but I'm more interested in potential (and good discussion) on this topic.

Has anyone heard of any people putting in Toyota engines/transmissions/parts on a 66-77 Bronco? Would any models from Toyota trucks (new or old) fit the space?

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk

okie4570

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
NW OK
I actually researched this some a few years ago. I can't remember the years off hand that had driver side transfer case/front drive shaft. 6cyl attached to 5sp transmission attached to transfer case with wiring harness and computer sitting on a pallet was about $2500 iirc.

Apogee

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Lot's of Toyota's running SBF, so maybe you could just trade straight across...22RE for 302? I know who's getting the short end of the stick there, but maybe you want little power with poor fuel economy and excellent durability. Different strokes...

SteveL

Huge chevy guy
Loc.
Hawthorne ca
To me it defeats the purpose. If you want a bronco you want that v-8 grunt. I f you want the dependability of a Toyota drive a yota with beefed up axles. I own both. I have a 97 4runner 4x4 as a dd. Once it gets bfg's I wouldnt hesitate to take it ou on mild stuff. But if I'm going to hit some trails I'm taking the bronco with the 351 and arbs.

EPB72

Contributor
Loc.
Pleasant Hill, CA
Lot's of Toyota's running SBF, so maybe you could just trade straight across...22RE for 302? I know who's getting the short end of the stick there, but maybe you want little power with poor fuel economy and excellent durability. Different strokes...
I’ve pulled a lot of heads off Toyota 4 and 6 cylinders over the last 30+years.

spap

Contributor
Bronco Guru
What Toyota motor? Diesel, in-line six, 22re, they made a bunch of motors
What do you have now.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Isn't the AX-15 sort of a Toyota transmission? I bet someone has done a Marlin Crawler box, that is based off Toyota parts. And I know of a Toyota IFS power steering box grafted into an Early Bronco before the Delphi boxes came around.

I really can't think of a good Toyota engine that would fit and have enough good torque to be drivable.

okie4570

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
NW OK
Isn't the AX-15 sort of a Toyota transmission? I bet someone has done a Marlin Crawler box, that is based off Toyota parts. And I know of a Toyota IFS power steering box grafted into an Early Bronco before the Delphi boxes came around.

I really can't think of a good Toyota engine that would fit and have enough good torque to be drivable.

When you're used to the 170 6cyl, the 3.0l diesel is an upgrade in hp and torque lol.

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
Blasphemy for purists perhaps, but I'm more interested in potential (and good discussion) on this topic.

Has anyone heard of any people putting in Toyota engines/transmissions/parts on a 66-77 Bronco? Would any models from Toyota trucks (new or old) fit the space?

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk

Just go on and do the 4BT :)

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
To me it defeats the purpose. If you want a bronco you want that v-8 grunt. I f you want the dependability of a Toyota drive a yota with beefed up axles. I own both. I have a 97 4runner 4x4 as a dd. Once it gets bfg's I wouldnt hesitate to take it ou on mild stuff. But if I'm going to hit some trails I'm taking the bronco with the 351 and arbs.

that be me as well....

svobronco

Contributor
Diesel 3.0l is what I was looking at

You'd be better off with an Izuzu 4BD1T or similar. Toyota diesels are not common in the US and could be tough to get parts for. 4BT is a great engine, but the weight penalty is huge.

amax

I’ve done an Isuzu diesel into mine. Lots of people turn their noses up at it but I love it. Tons of torque and starts every time, reliable and simple. Now it has a little more vibration than my small block had but a little sound deadening tape fix those issues. Plus I get great mileage. It’s over 24 last time I checked.

okie4570

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
NW OK
I've been around several 4bt, I'm a huge diesel fan but those are just too loud for a vehicle with zero noise insulation. Add that noise, road noise and wind noise and it was a bit much.

amax

My 4bd2 is much smoother and balanced than a 4bt. Those will shake your teeth loose just idling at a red light.

Rustytruck

Bronco Guru
I had a 22 RE in a Toyota 4X4 and it was great for the pick-up and was great offroad in 4 low. great mileage. but it was just ok on the highway. I wouldn't waste the time trying it in a Bronco. only 2 swaps interest me. a 351W or a 300 I-6 but damn 300 is a bit too long. as for anyone wanting to do any other swap to each his own have at it. Its your truck ride it your way. My 22 re just hated head gaskets. the aluminium head to Iron block interface just sucked.