• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

4r70 questions

papy

Contributor
gathering information for my enext build in the comming months. I have a 4r70 that was originally beind my 1996 explorer 5.0 that is sitting under my deck. I went withthe ax15 for my 67 and absoloutly glad i did. great combo!

my question is can i use this 4r70 from my 1996 explorer in my new build (most likely gonna be a carbed 302 ) if it was originally controlled with the explorer computor? just trying to understnd how it all works.

thanks

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Yes, it can work.
You need to attach a TPS to the carburetor throttle shaft. Nice DIY project or pay way too much money for someone else to make you a bracket.
USshift makes the stand alone controller needed to run the transmission in stand alone.

OP
OP
papy

papy

Contributor
i looked into the stand alone unti at UShift. i think im better of buying a 96-01 explorer and goin the efi route again. it will be the same cost if i try to piece everything together (carb, 4r70 with USift unit.

great info thanks

Splash440

Contributor
Loc.
Dover, NC
I have a setup in a 57 Thunderbird that I also plan to put in my 75 EB once it is completed. The engine and transmission (4R70W) are out of a 96 Explorer and I am using the Holley Terminator Max. It is not the cheapest, but it has the computer separate so you do not get RF interference like the Sniper. Also, the Max version has the ability to control the 4R70W without the need for a separate controller.