• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Need your thoughts on this 351C and 4r70 combo please. Sooner than later before it gets sold.

skrit

Contributor
A Horse with No Name
Loc.
Durham
Disclaimer... I'm restarting a build from over 10 years ago and have not refreshed my knowledge of engine options. Thought about a Coyote earlier this evening but decided on something more familiar.

I am doing a frame off. Entire rig is disassembled and ready to start from scratch.

Need honest opinions on if this combo is
1) a decent deal
2) will it work/ fit
3) any pitfalls

I'm fairly certain the headers won't fit.

Dangit, pic uploads fail.

Engine

Trans

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

jeffncs

Contributor
Loc.
Raleigh, NC
I’m not a fan of the Cleveland in anything other than a high reviving performance car. You’re better off with a 302, 351W, either of those stroked or a coyote if you have the budget for it.

Cleveland’s want to spin high rpm to make power. Others may disagree, but I don’t see it as a good match for the EB.

ba123

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
CA
Not the right engine for a Bronco. I even have one and I wouldn’t put it in my Bronco. Built it for another project and that project got sold so gonna put it in my buddy’s Mustang when I get around to it.

OP
OP
skrit

skrit

Contributor
A Horse with No Name
Loc.
Durham
Thanks for the quick replies. I'll pass on the engine but I'm going to pull the trigger on the trans.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

m_m70

Contributor
Loc.
Pacifica, CA
I'll pass on the engine but I'm going to pull the trigger on the trans
That looks like a 2wd trans. No expert but I think that will need to come a part and built up to work with a transfer case adaptor.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Like new, I pressure washed it.
That might be the wrong bell housing as well. Not a good angle, but looks like a 3-bolt starter. You would want the 2-bolt.

nvrstuk

Contributor
Just a Bronco driver for over 50 yrs!
Absolutely nothing wrong with the cleveland engine with the two barrel heads.
Of course, it's not an easy fit because headers are a little harder to find but I like different and the 351 Cleveland would, with 2 barrel heads -flow extremely well, and no, you will not have more power with a 302 at lower rpms than you will with a 351 Cleveland at the same R. P. M. Not even close.

fordfan

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Absolutely nothing wrong with the cleveland engine with the two barrel heads.
Of course, it's not an easy fit because headers are a little harder to find but I like different and the 351 Cleveland would, with 2 barrel heads -flow extremely well, and no, you will not have more power with a 302 at lower rpms than you will with a 351 Cleveland at the same R. P. M. Not even close.
I'm with you all the way. These people talking down a Cleveland have never ridden behind a properly built one! ...and it doesn't have to be built built...ie with lots of money to make lots of usable power. They are very fuel efficient engines too! ..and with aluminum heads and intake, they are considerably lighter than a stock 302! I have a close to stock 2v that is awesome and a more expensive built one that is great! Just ask Tom Hyde with Lick Creek Restorations. He rode with me while tuning and dialing in the fuel injection with his laptop. Both Clevelands have torque at low RPMs too.. unlike what people think...

nvrstuk

Contributor
Just a Bronco driver for over 50 yrs!
Agreed Fordfan. I think all those that poo-poo torque on strokers and on 351C's have never driven either one. Just saying. :)