• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

1974 U15 restoration plan

ald7973

Hi all! I recently bought a 1974 U15 302 v8, c4 automatic to have restored. My husband and I are pretty handy but we've never worked on cars. The plan is to have the truck professionally restored for the most part and DIY maintenance and improvements over time as we learn. This site has been super helpful already but we recognize we'd be biting off too much to take on the full restoration at this stage. We have an appointment set up with a reputable shop for them to have a first-hand look and I'm trying to get my "wishlist" together to have an eduated discussion (as educated as I can be at this stage!). Other important info....this truck will eventually be my daily driver...except I hardly drive on a daily basis. I work from home and 95% of the use this truck sees will be going to the grocery store and weekend errands. Really don't even need to drive it on the highway. I live in Kansas City so we have all kinds of weather but no mountains and this truck won't be offroading. My goal is to restore the truck, get it running, and not over-improve...I'm not looking for a $200K coyote restomod. I don't want crazy high end finishes or all kinds of extra features....I actually want LESS technology in this truck than my current car for the simplicity of enjoying the drive. (But to be clear I know what we have ahead of us will be a big investment!) Here's what I'm thinking based on reseach so far....would appreciate advice/feedback/thoughts on what's missing/etc to achieve my goal. Thanks in advance!
  • Unfortunately the body has some rust, so repairs and new paint will be required. Want to repaint the original Limestone color if possible! Top will also need some work. Seems like blasting and POR15'ing or powdercoating the frame is a popular choice.
  • Truck came with a newer 302 v8 - plan to keep that
  • Original C4 3-speed automatic transmission - can't think of a reason the original wouldn't meet my goals for this truck so plan to keep
  • Upgrade to power disc brakes - is it best to go ahead and do front and back?
  • Truck has original power steering
  • Electronic ignition seems to be a popular upgrade choice
  • EFI also seems to be popular - and I know nothinng about tinkering with carbeurators either
  • New wiring is required
  • The truck is uncut and I'm not hung up on big tires or a lift so no plan to change the stock suspension unless repair is needed. Related - also planning for wheels / tires that fit the uncut profile.
  • I'd love to add A/C...I just know I won't be driving around with the top off all summer
  • Insuation & carpet, all new seals, weather stripping
  • Safety question - with no plans to offroad, how important is a roll bar/cage and 3-point seatbelts? I like the look of the original bucket seats but assume taller seats or a roll bar is needed to create that shoulder point for 3-point seatbelts.
  • I'd like to add a simple bluetooth stereo - I just need to be able to listen to FM radio and occassionally stream content from my phone via bluetooth. Don't need anything super fancy or with big speakers.
What else should we be thinking about at this stage to have a good conversation with the shop? Thanks!

Beau Nugget

Contributor
Loc.
NE Kansas
I’m sure others will jump in to give some good advice, but it looks to me like you have a good idea what needs to be done and a plan to get it done. Have you found a shop to do the work yet?

If you’re going to be driving around KC a lot with it, you're wise to do the power disc brake conversion. You can always do the front first and if you aren’t satisfied, then do the rear. I’m about to put a Hydroboost power brake conversion on mine. those who have done this seem to love it

Good luck with your build, post up some pictures. We always love pics. And Go Cats!!!

Last edited:

jamesroney

Contributor
Loc.
Fremont, CA
Hi all! I recently bought a 1974 U15 302 v8, c4 automatic to have restored. My husband and I are pretty handy but we've never worked on cars. The plan is to have the truck professionally restored for the most part and DIY maintenance and improvements over time as we learn. This site has been super helpful already but we recognize we'd be biting off too much to take on the full restoration at this stage. We have an appointment set up with a reputable shop for them to have a first-hand look and I'm trying to get my "wishlist" together to have an eduated discussion (as educated as I can be at this stage!). Other important info....this truck will eventually be my daily driver...except I hardly drive on a daily basis. I work from home and 95% of the use this truck sees will be going to the grocery store and weekend errands. Really don't even need to drive it on the highway. I live in Kansas City so we have all kinds of weather but no mountains and this truck won't be offroading. My goal is to restore the truck, get it running, and not over-improve...I'm not looking for a $200K coyote restomod. I don't want crazy high end finishes or all kinds of extra features....I actually want LESS technology in this truck than my current car for the simplicity of enjoying the drive. (But to be clear I know what we have ahead of us will be a big investment!) Here's what I'm thinking based on reseach so far....would appreciate advice/feedback/thoughts on what's missing/etc to achieve my goal. Thanks in advance!
  • Unfortunately the body has some rust, so repairs and new paint will be required. Want to repaint the original Limestone color if possible! Top will also need some work. Seems like blasting and POR15'ing or powdercoating the frame is a popular choice.
  • Truck came with a newer 302 v8 - plan to keep that
  • Original C4 3-speed automatic transmission - can't think of a reason the original wouldn't meet my goals for this truck so plan to keep
  • Upgrade to power disc brakes - is it best to go ahead and do front and back?
  • Truck has original power steering
  • Electronic ignition seems to be a popular upgrade choice
  • EFI also seems to be popular - and I know nothinng about tinkering with carbeurators either
  • New wiring is required
  • The truck is uncut and I'm not hung up on big tires or a lift so no plan to change the stock suspension unless repair is needed. Related - also planning for wheels / tires that fit the uncut profile.
  • I'd love to add A/C...I just know I won't be driving around with the top off all summer
  • Insuation & carpet, all new seals, weather stripping
  • Safety question - with no plans to offroad, how important is a roll bar/cage and 3-point seatbelts? I like the look of the original bucket seats but assume taller seats or a roll bar is needed to create that shoulder point for 3-point seatbelts.
  • I'd like to add a simple bluetooth stereo - I just need to be able to listen to FM radio and occassionally stream content from my phone via bluetooth. Don't need anything super fancy or with big speakers.
What else should we be thinking about at this stage to have a good conversation with the shop? Thanks!
Take a DEEP breath, SLOW down, and think about it.

WHY are you restoring this Bronco Station Wagon? What about it makes it unique? What about it make it special?

If you are not going to do the work, and you are not an expert in automotive restoration...why would you want to build this one?

My advice: Sell your existing Bronco. Take the funds and buy the Bronco that suits your needs. The restoration that you described above is a $75K and well over a year in a shop.

ford man

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Leesburg Ga
We need pictures of what your starting with .This is my opinion front disk with power booster are good enough and a roll bar is a good insurance plan I would do a 2.5" lift with uncut looks best to me .I posted a pic with 2.5" and 30x9.50x15 tires

Attachments

• IMG_3980.JPG
    IMG_3980.JPG
    264 KB · Views: 23

Scoop

Contributor
Have Bronco, Will Travel
Loc.
Cuchara, CO
Sounds like a reasonable plan for a semi-daily driver with no off-road intentions. Just a few thoughts . . .

Front disks is all you really need. Rear disks do not add enough to the braking to justify the extra cost. Consider hydroboost for best braking but not really necessary for the mild set up you're proposing.

Highly recommend fuel injection. Either Ford Explorer or an aftermarket efi kit. Drivability will be greatly improved.

Think about a LUBR - small lift with uncut fenders. This will allow 31's to fit which is a great size for street driving and a bit of an aggressive look! A small suspension lift with a 1 inch body lift would be good.

I would add at least a front hoop roll bar even if you never take the top off.

If your dash is uncut RetroSound makes a nice bluetooth radio to fit the stock radio holes.

Good luck with your build!

gnpenning

Contributor
Bronco Slave
Loc.
I have more questions than answers.
Welcome and congratulations on your purchase.

Yours should have come with a very good ignition from Ford (duraspark) that is tough to beat.

There are a couple of active threads with people having EFI issues. If you have a good running carb I would suggest keeping it for now. As you learn more you may want to change.

Being new to you I would suggest you keep it drivable for as long as you can before doing major body work. Enjoy it while doing any upgrades you can.

You mentioned wiring needing to be replaced. Are you having issues? Do you have a multi meter or test light? I would suggest getting both and spending some time online learning how to use them. You will be needing to know how. Best to learn how to test battery voltage, alternator output, etc on a good working circuit so you can tell the difference. These are all quick tests when you know how.

Change fluids and check rear axle bearings. They are a consumable depending on your mileage should be replaced before you have a problem. You don't want to damage your body or your shorts.

Be cautious of NEW parts. They are not always good. Don't throw away old parts for awhile.

Enjoy your new bronco and keep asking questions.