• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

17" Wheels?

BOSSHOSS74

Loc.
Menifee, Ca
A friend is selling a set of 315/70/17 BFG a/t's and I am thinking about buying them, is anyone running this size? Also what width and backspacing are you running? I will be installing 3 1/2" WH SL and a 2" BL.....I can't let this deal pass, they have 80% tread and he only wants $100 for the set, but I don't want to get them if people have problems with this setup

needabronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Prescott/Farmington
I run 315/75/16's, 16X8 wheels with 4.5" back spacing on 3.5" suspension and a 1" body lift. That should be fairly close to what those 17"s will be, except you'd likely run 17x9"s.

Amac70

ME
like above the wheels will probably be 17x9 with 4.5 or more backspacing. i run 17x9 with 4. 5 bs but i also run full width axles. if your not fullwidth you will probably need spacers or your going to hit your radius arms. but for that cheap you have to buy them.

OP
OP
BOSSHOSS74

BOSSHOSS74

Loc.
Menifee, Ca
I was also thinking 17x9's, I guess I'm just hesitant to pull the trigger on a few things like wheels and tires because I don't know for sure what I will be able to fit...

Heus33

Bronco Guru
Get them! I grabbed a set of wheels last year that had a 5.5" BS. I installed 2" spacers and life was good.

Buy em - if they don't work out for you - put them up for sale here - someone will apprecaite the offer (hell, I'll take em if you're close enough).

73stallion

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Eugene, OR
315/70r17 is basically 35" tall and 12.4" wide. you can run those on a 17x9 wheel, but as stated you'll want to run a wheel spacer or adjust your steering stops so they don't rub your radius arms. there ARE 17x9 steel wheels available with 3.5" back spacing from 4 wheel parts for under $100 a piece, they proly wouldn't rub bad.

if you're here in so cal i'll give you $200 for those tires, got a customer looking for some!

Heus33

Bronco Guru
So are most of the bronco's I see on here that have stock diffs running spacers to keep from rubbing?

No - most are not running spacers. Most are running a backspacing that gives them the clearance that they need. 3.5" of BS seems to be the magic number for a 35" tire. 4.5" will most likely cause rubbing at full lock - anything more than that and you'll be rubbing more often.

While spacers will solve the rubbing issue, they put additional stress on your ball joints, leading to premature wear (presumably).

OP
OP
BOSSHOSS74

BOSSHOSS74

Loc.
Menifee, Ca
No - most are not running spacers. Most are running a backspacing that gives them the clearance that they need. 3.5" of BS seems to be the magic number for a 35" tire. 4.5" will most likely cause rubbing at full lock - anything more than that and you'll be rubbing more often.

While spacers will solve the rubbing issue, they put additional stress on your ball joints, leading to premature wear (presumably).

OK thanks, that is why I was asking... I don't like the idea of using spacers and was wondering what the magic number was for the backspacing. I appreciate the help guys, as long as the tires are in the shape he says they are, I will be buying them tonight

cgbexec

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Naples, FL
I'm running 4" of backspacing on 17x10 rims with 35"x12.5" tires. No rubbing, but then again my radius arms are not stock. They are angled for better clearance. If I were you, buy them!

akb3

Loc.
Del Rio, Tx
BossHog74, I've got a set of Centerline 17x9 Flint 4.5 bs that I've never mounted on tires I'm trying to sell. I was going to put them on my Bronco but I've decided to go another route with my wheel choice. Take a look at my build page 3 if you're interested.