• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

College Essay - Resurgence of Bronco Popularity

Erin

Loc.
Northeast Wisconsin
I am currently working on a paper for a college course and my topic is the resurgence of popularity of the Bronco. I am trying to research some information that I am hoping the collective knowledge of this group can help with.
I know many of you guru's are going to state the fact that there is interest now with the supposed return in 2020. I like that, that is fine!
I am also looking for tid-bits of the influx of interest from muscle cars and old trucks to the 4x4's of the late 60's and early 70's.
Has the last 20 years of driving modern SUV's make us crave something a bit different?
Is it the incomparable wheel base and chassis of these classics that we are missing from modern day vehicles?
How is the drivability differ from the EB's to current vehicles and what makes people crave the EB's abilities?

I fully welcome thoughtful, unique opinions and even articles.

half cab

Contributor
Guru Bronco
it's the "COOL" factor. The early model Broncos have been cool from the get go.

Juiceman

Contributor
I think it might also be generational. There is a post about whether we are older or younger than our EB. I believe there is something that the 40-50 crowd enjoy about things "mechanical". I am also into 70's pinball machines and just something about the way the mechanics work is fascinating and down right cool. There is a reason why "vintage' is all the rage right now....

Wyflyer

Bronco Guru
We were interested before Broncos became "cool" again. I'm not sure how much time you have to spend on this essay, but to get the full flavor of 'why' we love our Broncos, you may need to get to know us on a personal level, instead of popping in and asking for a bunch of information just like you're ordering a hamburger.
Most of the owners here enjoy modern vehicles just fine in addition to Broncos. And this group favors the earliest version of the Bronco over the later years.
Browse around the community pages, you'll see a variety of versions, show cars, rock crawlers, beaters, restomods, originals, and untouched basket cases.

romegadave

Somewhere somehow you must include the word "Badass" in your essay. Good place to do your research and use as a source. There are guys on here who could write a dissertation on Broncos (Viperwolf and Dirtdonk for instance).

Last edited:

WheelHorse

Bronco Guru
I was told from a Chevelle man that most of the muscle cars have shot up in price in the late mid 90's and are now just fluxuating around beyond that of the average Joe. He also told me 10 years ago that older 4x4's are rumored to be the next sought after vehicle at his shows, such as World of Wheel etc.

Then there is the trend of what was had or sought after in high school. I had three back in high school in the mid 90's.

92" Wheelbase is short enough to go most places, long enough to provide a decent ride with the coils on the front.

As customizable as a Mustang.

OP
OP
E

Erin

Loc.
Northeast Wisconsin
We were interested before Broncos became "cool" again. I'm not sure how much time you have to spend on this essay, but to get the full flavor of 'why' we love our Broncos, you may need to get to know us on a personal level, instead of popping in and asking for a bunch of information just like you're ordering a hamburger.
Most of the owners here enjoy modern vehicles just fine in addition to Broncos. And this group favors the earliest version of the Bronco over the later years.
Browse around the community pages, you'll see a variety of versions, show cars, rock crawlers, beaters, restomods, originals, and untouched basket cases.

I am a Bronco owner myself. I do know things on a personal level. And I do also love hamburgers.

What I may feel about the Bronco may not be the same as the next person. And yes, many people have always had a passion for the Bronco's since they have come out. Please do not try and shut me down, these are harmless questions.

OP
OP
E

Erin

Loc.
Northeast Wisconsin
Then there is the trend of what was had or sought after in high school. I had three back in high school in the mid 90's.

92" Wheelbase is short enough to go most places, long enough to provide a decent ride with the coils on the front.

As customizable as a Mustang.

I have heard many things since I have bought my '68 a few years ago. My generation is just completely jealous. The older generation is jealous, but more reminiscent of the past. I enjoy hearing the stories of when they were in High School or in their 20's owning a Bronco. They also look back in regret because they did not understand the sheer pleasure of actually owning an early Bronco.

joebronco73

Contributor
Loc.
Lago Vista, TX
I actually touched on this back in high school with an essay and think it is fascinating also. I think people are seeing more value in the older vehicles (especially the cool/different ones) as we become more and more eco-friendly and sustainable. I know that seems like a stretch, but consider how much energy goes into making a vehicle and how much is wasted when one is crushed/destroyed. Aside from that, as we all know, it is the ultimate expression of freedom that brings you into an inclusive and exclusive community (and being able to build something with your own hands is so much more rewarding!). Ultimately, the ability to get places that most ordinary vehicles couldn't and do it with some style has it's own allure, which makes people go out and get old and new Jeeps, Broncos, and 4x4's.

toddz69

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru

Pops68

Contributor
Bronco Rookie
Loc.
Bazetta Township
I bought mine 7 years ago, before the current craze and skyrocketing prices took over......otherwise, I couldn't have afforded it.

I am soon to be 60 and this is a car from my youth. They are neat or cool or whatever term you want to use. I always liked them from day 1. I also had 3 old Willys wagons prior to this 4X4. The Willys were a '58, '54 and I think a '51. They quit making these in '64. These were the ORIGINAL SUV's! See, I like the oldies!

My Bronco is a '68........much easier to work on than the new vehicles - I open the hood, look around, and then take my Tundra to the dealer.

So, even though I have newer 'more reliable' vehicles......the Bronco is my 'mid-life crisis' and a return to my youth - my toy.

Cracks me up at times reading someone say 'I've wanted one for such a loooooong time' - something like 3, 5 or 10 years!!! Like that is a long time??

Took me till age 53 to finally get mine. Is it perfect??? Not even close!!! Would I sell it.......considering it ONLY to afford a brand new 2017 truck. If I actually sell it, I will NEVER be able to get another one.....THAT is the sticking point. Do I WANT to sell it....NO!

Hope this helps........Pops

PS: Erin, are you one of dem der Badgers??

Pops68

Contributor
Bronco Rookie
Loc.
Bazetta Township
Used to work with a Badger......from near Lake Winnebago, I think. Ya got one of dem der accents, do ya??

No Hay

Bronco Guru
I am currently working on a paper for a college course and my topic is the resurgence of popularity of the Bronco. I am trying to research some information that I am hoping the collective knowledge of this group can help with.
I know many of you guru's are going to state the fact that there is interest now with the supposed return in 2020. I like that, that is fine!
I am also looking for tid-bits of the influx of interest from muscle cars and old trucks to the 4x4's of the late 60's and early 70's.
Has the last 20 years of driving modern SUV's make us crave something a bit different?
Is it the incomparable wheel base and chassis of these classics that we are missing from modern day vehicles?
How is the drivability differ from the EB's to current vehicles and what makes people crave the EB's abilities?

I fully welcome thoughtful, unique opinions and even articles.

I can't give anything thoughtful or unique ;D

But my reason for thinking they are cool is I was lucky enough to have a '71 for my first ride in '77. It was the coolest ride in school that wasn't a car, and pretty much still is. It's their shape or style, sort of mid size, and when lifted, almost has attitude. They were cool before being classic or vintage. It would be interesting to see the car world through younger eyes, but the late '70's sure were fun.

Attachments

• vin2.jpg
    vin2.jpg
    117.9 KB · Views: 62

englewoodcowboy

Lick Creek Restorations
I prefer Ted Nugent (maybe not all of his political stances) and devouring the savory meat of nature's beautiful creatures.

Right on! I can tell you for me, it has been a want of mine most of my life. My folks had one when I was a twinkle in their eye, the stories etc. As a kid a friend had one and it was a bad ass mudder. I always wanted one but could never afford one or did I have the funds available when one was for sale or vice versa, could not find one when I had the funds... it took me 30 years of wanting before I finally bought one and it was not pretty. I am glad I bought it when I did because shortly after the prices jumped. I restored it, went all out and spared no expense, it si my dream and I made it exactly as I wanted it. Would I willingly sell it, never. Do I love it, you bet, would even consider being buried in it... that would be one helming of a story. Anyway, I love them so much I made them my business, now I am surrounded by them daily and love it. It is more fun bringing one in that was rode hard and put up wet so many years, barely running and driving like ass, we finally pull its plug, break it down and slowly massage it back to life. When they are done and the owner sees it for the first time it is spectacular, the raw emotion, mostly from the anticipation of progress and the expense, they are transformed into t kids and it is Christmas morning. I love what I do, I love my hobby and I love the early broncos. For me I am a life long fan.

chuckyb

Contributor
These classic Fords have personality and are from a simpler time!

Skiddy

Bronco Guru
there is also a thread on here call "why did you get a bronco" or something like that. it should give you some more information.

dcole1229

Loc.
long island
Early broncos were cheap, versatile, utilitarian, came with a v8, and there were a ton of them sold. i cant even keep track of how many times ive been stopped fueling up or getting a cup of coffee and had someone say "i had 3 broncos back in the day, i had so many good times in those trucks". Muscle cars were cool, are cool and will always be cool, but a bronco was a vehicle to take the grocery store one day, the jobsite the following day and the trail on Saturday. They did it all, and for a while building a camaro or mustang just wasnt in the budget for a lot of folks but a vintage 4x4 was. I believe the average enthusiast has caught on to the practicality of buying an older vehicle like a bronco, scout or jeep and still have the that feeling of owning a more simple automobile that takes them back in time.