• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

1972-73 owners-mind your P's and Q's

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
recent

Pics not coming thru for some reason..

gunnibronco

Loc.
Gardnerville, NV
Oh, and the "ambient switch" is some oddball thing that was only found on '72's and '73's I think (it's mentioned earlier in this thread when you have time to look at 30 pages of fun stuff!
You'd see a metal plate in your driver's front door pillar and there is a switch on the manual transmissions upper side. I forget how they worked, but there is a basic description hereabouts in some of the earlier pages.

To quote Viperwolf from a Colorado Classic Bronco thread regarding the switch on the 72 manual trans:

"Wow! You don't see those everyday. That is part of what Ford called a transmission regulated spark system. That switch at the front of the trans detected when the trans was in 3rd gear. The idea of the system was to limit ignition timing advance, under certain temperature conditions, until the trans was in 3rd gear. You will also have a temp sensor in the driver front door post. 1972 only stuff."

1strodeo

Squirrel Watcher
Loc.
Wisconsin
Oh, and the "ambient switch" is some oddball thing that was only found on '72's and '73's I think (it's mentioned earlier in this thread when you have time to look at 30 pages of fun stuff!

Paul

I have an ambient switch in a ziploc if anyone needs it, came with my bucket of 72 parts :)

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
Nice.. smart doode

To quote Viperwolf from a Colorado Classic Bronco thread regarding the switch on the 72 manual trans:

"Wow! You don't see those everyday. That is part of what Ford called a transmission regulated spark system. That switch at the front of the trans detected when the trans was in 3rd gear. The idea of the system was to limit ignition timing advance, under certain temperature conditions, until the trans was in 3rd gear. You will also have a temp sensor in the driver front door post. 1972 only stuff."

Cecjap

1972 u15glp65660

Here is my Martin report, I purchased Feb 17 and am at the end of the restoration. To my surprise the build date is 7/21/72 and my dad was born 7/21/41. I did have the metal tag on the driver door pillar.

Attachments

• B95D1A92-8246-496E-B5FA-E5EBE1186798.jpg
    B95D1A92-8246-496E-B5FA-E5EBE1186798.jpg
    79.7 KB · Views: 51
  • C2B66C67-EB38-4C76-A03D-C1D4E22182FD.jpg
    C2B66C67-EB38-4C76-A03D-C1D4E22182FD.jpg
    89.2 KB · Views: 67
Last edited:

Cecjap

Yes to both

Dash had light bars and driver door had the metal tag. I have the t-transfer case but when I rebuilt there were brgs that are specific to j-shift.

Attachments

• 603D7D54-1ACD-430E-8FC4-D360BC0D9860.jpeg
    603D7D54-1ACD-430E-8FC4-D360BC0D9860.jpeg
    100.5 KB · Views: 53

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I think that transfer case info will be interesting to Viper. He's mentioned some of those discrepancies before.

Paul

OP
OP
Viperwolf1

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
Dash had light bars and driver door had the metal tag. I have the t-transfer case but when I rebuilt there were brgs that are specific to j-shift.

Very interesting indeed. From the VIN and build date it sounds like the last known '72 P, but it appears to really be a '73. First one in the list with PS and first with light bars.

I see PS listed on Marti report and the '73+ core support in your pics. The core support was changed to make room for PS. One odd thing is the front axle code "L". "L" was limited slip front axle but it should have been "Q" if it had both limited slip and PS. Maybe they didn't have a revised code for PS sorted out yet. Speaking of PS, the boxes have a julian date cast into them on the engine side just forward of the big S. This would have been the date the casting was made. The earliest date I've seen on a Bronco box so far is 12372, which was May 02, 1972. Seems like they started building PS boxes early enough to have a good stockpile when the new model year arrived.

The metal tag you saw was an ambient temp sensor for the Transmission Regulated Spark system. Not unusual for late '72 and early '73.

The 2 month hold seems typical for the early '73's. Something specific to the new model year wasn't ready and the Broncos had to be stockpiled until it was sorted out. It wasn't PS and it wasn't the auto trans. I think it could have been the light bars.

The transfer case didn't change from a T type to a J type all at once. The first change was the front output shaft. That required a bearing change. Those T type cases had serial numbers starting between 160xxxx and 174xxxx. It would be interesting to see where yours falls.

Cecjap

1972 u15glp65660 Transfer case info

Looks like s/n 1656198

Attachments

• F517B8AA-4B9A-4CFE-8AB9-98D904C5D479.jpg
    F517B8AA-4B9A-4CFE-8AB9-98D904C5D479.jpg
    164.3 KB · Views: 47
OP
OP
Viperwolf1

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
Here's the latest info.

Attachments

• Bronco VIN Production latest.pdf
    428.1 KB · Views: 36

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I didn't take the whole VIN, and I'll let Andy add it if he wants, but the new "495 Mile" '73 Ranger is a 12/72 build Q model.
Has all the usual '73 stuff, plus has the return line and two tanks.

No ambient switch plate, but does have the rubber grommet in the big hole and two full screw holes, rather than the two dimples later models had.

Also noted that it's got the "long" toggle version of the fuel gauge selector switch on the dash, which was a running change from the earlier "short" toggle version.
I knew they changed at some point around there, but wasn't sure it was '73. Now I wish I'd bothered to check the other '72's and '73's I've listed so far, to see if any earlier Broncos in this list had them. Maybe I took pictures.
I know at least some in '72 had the early "short" toggle and when I bought my first replacement from Ford in about '79 or so, they naturally only had the later long style available.

It's a Ranger with the wiper cover intact, but I did not notice a dome light installed. I know they were available in the '73 model year, but it could have been a running change maybe?
Or I just did not notice. I'll check his other thread to see if it shows. Was that the first year for the dome lamp, as opposed to the under-dash map light?

Paul

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
Can't go wrong w/a ranger :)

It's a Ranger with the wiper cover intact, but I did not notice a dome light installed. I know they were available in the '73 model year, but it could have been a running change maybe?

Izzy_Britton

Q551xx Build date 11/72

Automatic trans
Power steering
front disc rear drum
manual brakes (not vacuum boost, upgraded to vacuum by PO)
T shifter i think. there was nothing to indicate a pattern just T handle with button.
has temp sensor hole in door jamb w/ 2 screw holes. had rubber plug, no plate.
Turd brown (UGLY)

took dash out, do not recall seeing any under dash lights, but under dash wiring was an absolute mess.

It was a rebuilt bronco by PO, upgraded carb dunno if has return fuel line. had fuel lines and smog lines all over the place but nothing appeared to be connected.

Dual tanks with dash and under seat switch

I dont know what is meant by light bars, switches or what not. please clarify and i will try to answer.

EDIT: LIGHT BARS YES (i broke em all removing them, DOH!)

Last edited:

toddz69

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
Q551xx Build date 11/72

Automatic trans
Power steering
front disc rear drum
manual brakes (not vacuum boost, upgraded to vacuum by PO)
T shifter i think. there was nothing to indicate a pattern just T handle with button.
has temp sensor hole in door jamb w/ 2 screw holes. had rubber plug, no plate.
Turd brown (UGLY)

took dash out, do not recall seeing any under dash lights, but under dash wiring was an absolute mess.

It was a rebuilt bronco by PO, upgraded carb dunno if has return fuel line. had fuel lines and smog lines all over the place but nothing appeared to be connected.

Dual tanks with dash and under seat switch

I dont know what is meant by light bars, switches or what not. please clarify and i will try to answer.

Somebody added the discs and the power booster. The light bars are the lit emblems under the heating/temp/defrost controls, etc. that tell the function of each.

Todd Z.

OP
OP
Viperwolf1

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
Here's the latest. I cleaned up the sorting a little.

Attachments

• Bronco VIN Production latest.pdf
    428.3 KB · Views: 23
Last edited: