• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Got offered $1,000 to junk my bronco from the bay area air quality instead of registe

904Bronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
San Martin, CA
To simplify,
I think it has as much to do with the state still trying to get all the 'clunkers' off the road for various reasons. They (the state) doesnt make jack off the pre-smoggers, the license fees on the oldies are almost too low to bother with (almost) and I suppose the state can make the case the old ones are just too dangerous because they lack all the safteyness of the newer stuff. But alas, problem is, a lot of the clunkers are never-the-less, very valuable. Ca needs to have a program like Arizona where after so many years, the rig can be licensed as a "survivor" thus giving it its due respect and recognition, not to be treated like somethingl that has outlived its appeal or even its undying practicality...

Well I can state that the State is charging more for vehicle registrations now. My 71 with the personal plate is right around $200, and my 67 is not far behind. Both of these were at one time, due to their age, below $50. That is all changed. And they base it on some degree on the value of the vehicle or the cost to purchase it. So we expect it to continue to go up...

BroncoBilly69

Loc.
Whiskeytown Ca
Well I can state that the State is charging more for vehicle registrations now. My 71 with the personal plate is right around $200, and my 67 is not far behind. Both of these were at one time, due to their age, below $50. That is all changed. And they base it on some degree on the value of the vehicle or the cost to purchase it. So we expect it to continue to go up...
I hear ya. I had gotten my 99 1 ton diesel Dodge dually down to around $200.00. This year, Gov Moonbean jacked it back up to over $400.00. Alas, dont get me started...lol

markw

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Well, I have to chime in here too. CA born and raised. I well remember the eye stinging smog of the LA basin and the Bay Area. To this day I can't stand the smell of untreated exhaust. So many of the same gripes made when unleaded fuel and converters were mandated. Took some years but technology caught up and no one knows the difference. I have no doubt that some day my 2001 SuperDuty 7.3 will no longer meet the regs and I'll have to sell an awesome NORRA chase truck to someone out of state. That being said there are too many people here and too many vehicles in this state. So I agree with Paul that the crusher program is a positive thing as long as it's voluntary. And I can tell you that if I lived in So Cal or the Bay Area I'd use public transportation in a heartbeat rather than spending 4 hrs a day in gridlock on a 6 lane freeway. I do not recall SIG alerts with any fondness. I happen to live in a small city in NorCAl now and it takes me 7 min to get to my office so I'm shielded from the horrible traffic and mess of the huge urban areas. All I have to do is travel to one of those areas a couple of times a year to be reminded how fortunate I am, even as my neighboring town of Paradise is a city within our city now. Even with all the issues we don't see ourselves living in any other state. We can always visit and experience the awesome things the rest of the country has to offer then come home and gripe about taxes, regulations, crowds and crappy roads. Makes us appreciate the freedoms other places offer. And like the OP states, not every place in CA is San Francisco or Hollywood....

svastano

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Pulaski, PA
Eventually, classics are going to have to be converted to electric... That's just the way things are gonna go and those of us still around are either gonna get on board or our Broncos will just sit there looking cute in the garage.

My Problem with this "electric car" thing is don't people understand that the electric has to be generated somewhere?????? It to me is the same mentality of where do you get milk? "At the store!" Yea some farmer busted his or her but for many hours to get you that milk! Generating electric, Takes energy, Pushing it across wires to your location, there is loss in transmission, then plug in your car, Batteries that have heavy metal and acids need to be made, and then at end of life disposed. Also batteries lose energy by just sitting then add all that weight to a car. Boy to me that sounds really efficient! Hug your trees!

green61bug

Contributor
Loc.
Greensboro
My Problem with this "electric car" thing is don't people understand that the electric has to be generated somewhere?????? It to me is the same mentality of where do you get milk? "At the store!" Yea some farmer busted his or her but for many hours to get you that milk! Generating electric, Takes energy, Pushing it across wires to your location, there is loss in transmission, then plug in your car, Batteries that have heavy metal and acids need to be made, and then at end of life disposed. Also batteries lose energy by just sitting then add all that weight to a car. Boy to me that sounds really efficient! Hug your trees!

We gotta start somewhere... Look at how far electric cars have come in just a few years. Think of where gasoline vehicles started and where they are now... A ton of improvements have been made along the way.

There are a ton of aspects to improve upon with electric vehicles but there is also a ton of room to improve whereas gasoline vehicles have pretty much reached their potential. Batteries have come a long way but do still need to be greatly improved on. One thing about batteries is that all cars have one and we have the ability to control the emissions when producing them and also have the ability and means to dispose/recycle them when they are dead. We don't have the ability to capture, contain and dispose of the emissions left by gasoline or diesel vehicles. All being said I won't be driving an electric vehicle until they make a truck that looks good, I can afford and haul a bronco behind it. I will also always have my V8 to drive around because there's no way the sounds of anything electric could ever replace that rumble.

Projp

My neighbor just took me for a ride in his new Tesla.
After the ride he took it home and plugged it into the power being supplied by one of our coal fired power plants here in Utah,

svastano

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Pulaski, PA
My neighbor just took me for a ride in his new Tesla.
After the ride he took it home and plugged it into the power being supplied by one of our coal fired power plants here in Utah,

My point exactly! Emissions are coming from a tailpipe or a smokestack!

patford

Wow that took long time for coal to show up and what about nuke power . Whats getting destroy to make new car parts , lots of parts are made offshore no rules there . Have no good answers just hanging on to my my old cars as long as i can .

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
...If you search commercial diesel regulation, it should pop up... If you can't find it, I will be glad to point the way to it...

Yes, please do Mattt. I did search, but not sure if I'm coming up with the same things, so by all means.

Thanks

Paul

Capt.junk&crap

Loc.
Bristol
I live on the border of Virginia and Tennessee, on the Virginia side. Virginia has state inspection, Tennessee does not. My friends in Tennessee ask "don't you hate having your car inspected every year"? And I always answer "yeah, it's a giant pain in the ass to pay someone $15 to give my car the once over making sure it's safe to drive on the road and make sure all the lights work." But in reality, it's not my car I'm worried about. It's the car behind me on the interstate that's registered in Tennessee that is going 75 with the cords showing on their tires brake pads down to the metal, digging into the rotors with a shower curtain duct taped to the door for a window. That's who I'm worried about.

Really don't know what that has to do with the current discussion, but thanks for letting me get that off my chest.

mattt

Bronco Guru
Yes, please do Mattt. I did search, but not sure if I'm coming up with the same things, so by all means.

Thanks

Paul

https://www.arb.ca.gov/msprog/onrdiesel/documents/FSRegSum.pdf

https://arb.ca.gov/msprog/onrdiesel/onrdiesel.htm

Don't get me wrong, I am for clean air, but I am also for common sense and non heavy handed approach. These people in CA bureaucracy rule as though they are infallible monarchy. As an example, why should an EFI converted Early Bronco fail a smog test when it blows cleaner than the original engine simply failing because of visual? These same bureaucRATS exempt their buddies "cronies" from regulation. The diesel requirements I linked above specifically waive those requirements for any state agency. As another example, the state did not come down on Socal Gas when it's facility leaked gas down near LA for months on end. Whose sister is a board member of Socal Gas, if I remember correctly.....Moonbeam Brown's?!?! My point is government does not always know best, smog check program is a great example. Often, government is the problem or exacerbates the problem with heavy handed regulation. Private industry drives innovation and improvements. Private industry innovation has given us the cleaner burning cars we have now.

904Bronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
San Martin, CA
I live on the border of Virginia and Tennessee, on the Virginia side. Virginia has state inspection, Tennessee does not. My friends in Tennessee ask "don't you hate having your car inspected every year"? And I always answer "yeah, it's a giant pain in the ass to pay someone $15 to give my car the once over making sure it's safe to drive on the road and make sure all the lights work." But in reality, it's not my car I'm worried about. It's the car behind me on the interstate that's registered in Tennessee that is going 75 with the cords showing on their tires brake pads down to the metal, digging into the rotors with a shower curtain duct taped to the door for a window. That's who I'm worried about.

Really don't know what that has to do with the current discussion, but thanks for letting me get that off my chest.

I agree with an outside source checking vehicle overall operational condition.
I want to be safe on the road... Too many people are clueless about how a vehicle operates, don't do regular maintenance, can't afford to, or just don't care... Or distracted by their personal devices... It is the world we live in now...

We have lost the whole concept of maintenance, checking fluid levels, lights, tire tread/pressure. The whole duct taping of parts on just to keep them from falling off...

Having been in the Fire service for 30 years, each piece of equipment gets a daily check, Reserve equipment weekly. It is called Operational Readiness... Yes, I check my own Equipment out regularly, I don't want to be stranded by the side of the road. No I don't want to pay a fee, nor do I want to have an inspection done, but there are plenty of yahoo's out there who need to.

How many people rush to the auto parts store to buy wipers after the 1st rain...? A lot

roundhouse

Bronco Guru
Be careful with accepting the progressive poison Paul. Right now, they give you a choice, one day they will not. These dastardly CARB bureaucRATS already have too much power, and they are only going more extreme soon enough, especially with the Leftist bent that CA "voters" are tolerating these days.

If you want to see what I mean, read about the same bureaucRATS diesel regulations that are outright OUTLAWING the further use of my former 2006 Ford F450 6.0 diesel truck, even though it passes a smog check and runs correctly. There is a phasing out program for commercial diesel truck that WILL drive up business cost, cost every person in CA, & further the business unfriendly-ness of Progressive pollution and poison.

If you search commercial diesel regulation, it should pop up. For an 06 model year, the deadline for it's use is 1/1/21, just 2 years away. If you can't find it, I will be glad to point the way to it. Sorry, these unelected gestapo apparatchik must be reigned in or they will continue to destroy life as us CA natives have enjoyed it. Most of these crazies are foreigners, not native from CA and have brought their Leftist garbage with them here. Sorry, sad but true.

Yeah
The commies in Cali just outright banned the use of older diesel
Trucks

Just a matter of time before they just issue a decree for older cars too

And the sheep will just go along with it

I was hoping to see a truckers strike
See what those democrat commies think about no deliveries of food gasoline construction materials mail and packages

I like the French having a riot for days over a tax hike

That’s my kind of attitude

nickgp

Bronco Guru
My uncle has a country place that no one knows about. He says it used to be a farm before the motor law..........

jetsg4

Loc.
Baton Rouge
Wow, you guys are harsh about anything from CA sometimes.
What's wrong with a program to offer 1000 bucks to people with junkers that barely run, pollute like crap and get 4mpg and is worth maybe $400 on the open market? It costs them more than that in insurance and registration over a couple of years!
They're not discriminating, nor are they taking into account collector value. That's not their job.
And they're giving you the choice. Do you want to or not?

If the answer is no, just ignore the notice. We've been getting them for almost 20 years now, and I've been ignoring the letters for all that time. I'd have been happy to get $1000 for some junk I've had. The fact that all my current "junk" is worth way more than that has nothing to do with nothing. Other than the sound of me just saying no.

I think it's a great program. Gets some people out from under a burden. While it just makes others laugh when they know their classic has sentimental value beyond money, and might only be worth $3000 or so anyway. Or, as in our case, a lot more.

But they don't know that when sending the letters out. They just know it's a forty to fifty year old rig that very likely makes more pollution than 25 or 30 newer cars that they'd like to see you swap for. So we can all keep breathing even in our close proximity to each other in the cities.
And while many people living here can't afford even a ten year old car right now, so are just going to keep driving their Old Smokey until it can't drive anymore, there are probably 25 to 30 million that can.
And those that can't, when the old one dies they'll at least have the option to get $1000 bucks for it. Wish I could do that with my 2003 that I'm trying to get rid of. I'd take it in a heartbeat!

So it makes sense to me, for them to at least ask and give all of us an option other than letting it rot in the back yard.

Paul

If I agreed with this, which I don't, wouldn't any responsible and reasonable adult think this is right ONLY IF the state wasn't broke? I wouldn't offer to pay to clean up my neighbors junk when I'm paying my bills on the MasterCard. A day of reckoning is coming to all these under funded governments.

kyle

Contributor
Bronco Guru
If I agreed with this, which I don't, wouldn't any responsible and reasonable adult think this is right ONLY IF the state wasn't broke? I wouldn't offer to pay to clean up my neighbors junk when I'm paying my bills on the MasterCard. A day of reckoning is coming to all these under funded governments.

Yep. Where’s the $1000 for each good idea coming from? You. Why don’t you just walk it over to your neighbor and take out the middle man?

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Well Merry Christmas Everybody. And Happy Hanukah (and probably other holidays near enough to shout out) too!

First we had to pay a fee and only burn on permissive days. The rules have progressed to where if it is possible to access your burn site by vehicle it is illegal to burn. You have to haul it off or chip it. ....

I'm glad you bring that up. It's one of my peeves at how things are run in general (not just in CA) that those in the cities (us) dictate what those in more rural areas, or wild country land (you) do, without regard to the different circumstances.
I am a city boy, and so the only burning I knew was tree branches and rubbish. But in the city it wasn't to keep the area from burning, it was just to get rid of stuff that was ugly or that you didn't want anymore. So literally everything got burned from tires and old oil to dead bodies, and it wasn't pretty.
So because I grew up with it, I hate burning in populated areas. But my feeling is if we're going to restrict something, we need to make an alternative available. Just like recycling and junk pickup, yard waste and large item hauling that we have here does. Sure, we pay for it, and I love it. I can literally put anything but toxic waste at the curb and it gets picked up. And there's a way to get rid of almost all toxic waste products without too much fuss too. From old poisons to motor oil to paint, it gets handed off to someone that can better dispose (hopefully) of it. Easy...

I have no idea what all you burn, or the purpose of it. If it's to clear an area so it doesn't burn, that's different from what I always thought it was. Most burning I see anymore is on farms between crop times. The tree hugger in me thinks most of it could be turned back into the ground in one form or another. But you tell me what other options would work.
But if it's just tree branches and simple stuff like that, a free, or low cost (nothing is free, as your tax dollars would pay for it at some point) service to chip it down for you, or haul it off completely would seem to be a good idea. More jobs, less junk on your land.
So is it that simple? Or is my city-boy mentality clouding what really is going on?

I've never needed to burn, so I'm very interested in hearing what all goes on, and why.
Can it go back into the earth, or does it have to go away?

Thanks

Paul

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
They (the state) doesnt make jack off the pre-smoggers, the license fees on the oldies are almost too low to bother with (almost)

I'm not so sure about that. Well, at least it doesn't feel that way!
These days as was mentioned the fees are pretty exorbitant for old rigs. With fewer miles spent on the road in them, the registration I think pays for a lot of ills.
Sure, newer vehicles pay way more for a few years as the tax payments decrease, but they all eventually come down to the minimum. I used to pay $7.00 for my bikes and about $15 for my cars, just a few years after getting them. Now I pay well over $100 each for five cars that I've had for years. Four of which are not driven at any given time. Plus I'm keeping the insurance companies happy while they pay out for other folk's mishaps.
Not sure what it costs to run the DMV, so maybe you're right. But I think we all do our part. New or old.

I suppose the state can make the case the old ones are just too dangerous because they lack all the safteyness of the newer stuff.

I'm sure there's that. Lots of real crap rolling around that should not be. But while I'm not for mandatory retirement, I am for keeping the roads as safe as they can be while sharing it with so many.
Then again, I'm glad we don't have annual safety inspections. Used to be the thing we trusted everyone to take care of. But now I'm not so sure they wouldn't be a good idea.
Some old vehicles I see around just should not be on the road anymore. But in the land of Tesla and BMW and Mercedes, the number of truly ratty rigs on the road does seem to be getting fewer and fewer.
The Ferrari and Lamborghini owners just won't put up with it!%)

But I wonder if it's more just that so many of them just sit at the curb or in the garage and they just want to get them to the recycle center quicker than you were willing to get rid of them? They're after us old car hoarders...;D
I live in a reasonably affluent area, but all around me there are derelict cars at the curb that have been sitting unused (and un-cleaned) for literally decades. Guess other folks are just hoping for some extra parking spaces after those finally go away.

Which is why I keep mine clean and move them occasionally. Don't want them to look like nobody wants them anymore.

But alas, problem is, a lot of the clunkers are never-the-less, very valuable. Ca needs to have a program like Arizona where after so many years (25), the rig can be licensed as "historic" thus giving it its due respect and recognition, not to be treated like something that has outlived its appeal or even its undying practicality...

I've never spent much on cars, but I've got about $50k in clunkers at my place right now! So yeah, a lot more than they were thinking it seems. They should be happy with the fees paid every year and should just make it clear (without sending out notices every year to upset people) that you have an option if you ever want to get rid of your old ride. Or your bed-ridden uncle that just can't bear to let the junk man have his beloved old DeSoto.

I think we do have a Historic Vehicle program. I know I've seen CA plates with the words on them in the past.
Not sure the whole historic restrictions that usually accompany that type of thing are for some of us Bronco owners though. Too few miles allowed for one thing.
I don't know if I'll ever get to drive mine like I used to (too many to choose from now) but I'd like to drive a lot if I choose.
So I have to keep them registered in the regular way for now.

Paul

kyle

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Many of us drive older vehicles because we enjoy them, but many drive them because it’s what they can afford-been there. These rules that are saving the trees that need hugging are also turning cars into a privilege that soon may only be affordable by those with a significant income.

City dwellers may not understand how important that old pickup is out here.