• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Ben's 73 Build Thread

OP
OP
Bferrari

Bferrari

Got the top cleaned up and primed, the outside of it, the inside still needs some attention but will get done at a later time.

IMG_6028.jpg IMG_6033.jpg

Got a new console, have many plans on enhancing it however it will serve as a good base to get started. Fits well and is very comfortable for the arm rest. For reference, Steve (pictured) is 6'4" and sits very comfortable in it. It also clears the seat when it 'folds and tumbles' and has cup holders for the rear occupants.

IMG_6030.jpg IMG_6031.jpg

The anticipation was killing me so I threw the top on to see how the passenger seat bracket would function. I am very happy with the results. I am 6'3" and with the seat forward find it very easy to get in and out of the back with the top on .... it works!!

IMG_6037.jpg IMG_6040.jpg IMG_6042.jpg

OP
OP
Bferrari

Bferrari

Got the headliner installed tonight. I want to ensure I have everything in that could potentially effect my cage placement. Now that it's in I can start bending tubing and get this cage knocked out!

IMG_6069.jpg IMG_6075.jpg IMG_6076.jpg IMG_6077.jpg

OP
OP
Bferrari

Bferrari

Back at it again! Found some old 33's that I could use for mock-up. Couldn't wait for the lift as I was anxious to see the clearance I was going to have with the rear grafts so I decided to throw them on and am very happy with the results.

IMG_6289.jpg IMG_6293.jpg IMG_6294.jpg IMG_6296.jpg

Now I figure it is time to get this darn cage built so I first got prepped by installing a winch from the rafters of my shop to make pulling the top on and off easier while fitting the pipe. Due to the full fiberglass headliner, the cage is going to need to be pretty precise in order to allow me to remove the top with the headliner in. Had my son Vinnie by my side helping with the install. As you can see he was all tooled up!! ;)

IMG_6299.jpg IMG_6307.jpg

This now leads to tonight. Pipe has finally started to bend! Got the rear and middle hoops bend up and fit. I'm using 1 3/4" .120 wall DOM tubing. Coming together good so far, hopefully be done in the next night or two!

IMG_6321.jpg IMG_6322.jpg IMG_6323.jpg IMG_6326.jpg IMG_6329.jpg IMG_6330.jpg

OP
OP
Bferrari

Bferrari

Finished bending up the cage and getting it tacked together. It's now ready to finish weld then install a few braces. I ended up doing something very similar to the cages that NicksTrix builds for his custom builds. Using the Halo in front versus straight bar'ing it has allowed getting the bars tucked up and out more. I am really liking the finished result as it feels roomy and I do not feel claustrophobic. One step closer to getting on the bodywork so I can get this thing in paint! ;)

IMG_6385.jpg IMG_6386.jpg IMG_6387.jpg IMG_6388.jpg IMG_6389.jpg IMG_6392.jpg IMG_6396.jpg

Mattco

Loc.
Dothan, AL
What are you doing for windshield wipers? Looks like you tacked over your holes for them on top of the frame.

OP
OP
Bferrari

Bferrari

Not holding out on you ;). Just haven't done anything report worthy as of yet. I'm still working on the cage, cutting and fitting braces, welding, and all the other fun stuff. I need to finish burning everything in and will be ready to throw it back on to fit the seatbelts and weld some seatbelt bungs in. I would like to be on to the bodywork this weekend. Would be nice to see some color on her within the next month!

IMG_6516.jpg IMG_6514.jpg IMG_6515.jpg

TTTGOWYO

Tyler T. - EB Obsessed
Loc.
Louisville
Love your build! SUCH great work and you are doing a much better job than me in planning ahead. I would love to do my rear fenders like you did. I wish I had the tools and more imprtantly the skills you have! Keep posting, love to see what is next!

OP
OP
Bferrari

Bferrari

Got the seatbelts fit and the bungs welded into the cage. I am using the Humvee seatbelts. They turned out great, nice and comfortable and easy to access and operate.

IMG_6547.jpg IMG_6554.jpg IMG_6555.jpg IMG_6552.jpg

I got to looking at the door straps and really don't care for how they operate. Seemed like there had to be a better option. I ended up sourcing some spring loaded door checks that have three detent positions for holding the door open. Mocked them up and installed them in about 20 minutes and am very happy with the results. They operate smooth but have a positive force holding the door open. They also open just a touch wider than the factory straps. I will not be removing the doors on my rig, partially because I don't see a need for it, but also because I will be running speakers in my door panels so the wiring will prevent it. However, if I was to remove the doors the new door check would only require one additional bolt to be taken off and the entire door can be removed.

IMG_6560.jpg IMG_6564.jpg IMG_6567.jpg IMG_6568.jpg

OP
OP
Bferrari

Bferrari

Thought long and hard and decided to do a dome light that attaches to the cage. Sourced a LED light that works awesome. Hooked it up to a jumper pack one night and it really lights everything up.

IMG_6586.jpg IMG_6590.jpg IMG_6594.jpg

Next, in typical Ben fashion, I started rethinking the dash. I am now pondering a new layout. Going to see if I can swing it however will need to come up with something creative for the defrost ducts to get it to work.

IMG_6608.jpg

Now I have finally started to begin the body work. I am currently in process of stripping everything that wasn't epoxy primed so I can start with a clean surface and go from there.

IMG_6610.jpg IMG_6615.jpg

Got a wonderful surprise from the UPS driver today. Had a long conversation with Steve from Hansen a couple weeks ago and ended up picking up a set of their bumpers. Great guy and great product! The rear arrived today and I couldn't wait to throw the thing on. All I can say is Bad Ass! Highly recommend to anyone thinking of going plate bumpers.

IMG_6616.jpg IMG_6617.jpg IMG_6618.jpg IMG_6619.jpg IMG_6620.jpg IMG_6621.jpg

NicksTrix

Bronco Guru
it never stops evolving! gotta love it
yes steve's group makes some great parts.