• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Yet another steering wheel size question, 14” vs 15”

syndicate1

Contributor
My ‘74 is an orIginal factory ride height daily driver with 32” KO2’s and sees an occasional OHV/Fire road.

The steering linkage was tire and worn. I just installed new track bar bushings, new tie rods and drag link, power steering pump and upgraded the steering gear from the OE 6-turn to a rebuilt OE 4-turn steering gear from a ‘76-‘77.

The PO installed a grant steering wheel that is 13.5”. Personally, this has always felt small and a PITA around town with the 6-turn box.

I don’t have any clearance issues with getting in or out of the seat. I’m looking at a wood steering wheel that is available in 14” and 15”.

Is there a noticeable driving difference between a 14” and 15” diameter?

For a daily driver rig, which size is better paired with the 4-turn steering gear?

“Ask twice, install once.” Famous last worlds.

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

chuckji

Contributor
Loc.
SE Michigan
I use a Grant 13.5” Classic Series wheel with a 4 turn box and power steering. I think it’s fine.
However, I do wish it was a little larger but the next size up is 15”.
I’ve tried the 15” and felt cramped.
14” would probably be perfect.

txtruk15

Contributor
Loc.
Highland Village, TX
I've run all three, disliked the 13.5, the 14" was ok, but love the 15" the best, but I'm running 37s on one ton axles and it just feels more substantial and easier. I don't feel cramped but I'm only 5'9" on my best days lol...

Attachments

• 20200814_163242.jpg
    20200814_163242.jpg
    65.6 KB · Views: 98

Yeller

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Rogers County Oklahoma
I have a 14” on a variable ratio 3 turn box and think it’s perfect. I think part of what makes it feel perfect is the tilt column. I have a stock 17” on my DD with the same variable ratio box and I think it’s perfect until I have to catch it stepping out because I got a little loud on the skinny pedal ;D

OP
OP
S

syndicate1

Contributor
Thanks for the responses. I decided to go with a 15”

OP
OP
S

syndicate1

Contributor
Good deal... post up pics when done :)

I went with the 15” wood steering wheel from Volante Steering Wheels. It’s the same wood wheel and adapter that the some of the bronco vendors sell. I ordered direct and they’re a great bunch of folks.

Volante sells the adapter in black which matches the steering column and helps keep the stock look. Also, the outside diameter of the wheel aligns perfectly with the end of the turn signal arm.

I’m 6’ and there’s plenty of room with a 15” wheel and it pairs well with my new (to me) 4-turn stock steering box.

eaf0ab89c7b65915ed1a635a457e5bd3.jpg

txtruk15

Contributor
Loc.
Highland Village, TX
I went with the 15” wood steering wheel from Volante Steering Wheels. It’s the same wood wheel and adapter that the some of the bronco vendors sell. I ordered direct and they’re a great bunch of folks.

Volante sells the adapter in black which matches the steering column and helps keep the stock look. Also, the outside diameter of the wheel aligns perfectly with the end of the turn signal arm.

I’m 6’ and there’s plenty of room with a 15” wheel and it pairs well with my new (to me) 4-turn stock steering box.

that's really beautiful looking. I like the wood look and feel there...

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
and I did see that in the other update...

Looks awesome sir. hopefully feels good, enhances the driving experience when you're out having bronco time w/the family

neilvonarb

Contributor
Loc.
Kansas City

syndicate1, did you call Valante to order your steering wheel kit? I'm also wanting a black hub adapter, but I don't see that as an option on their website.

OP
OP
S

syndicate1

Contributor
syndicate1, did you call Valante to order your steering wheel kit? I'm also wanting a black hub adapter, but I don't see that as an option on their website.

The black hub adapter is listed separately on their website. It’s not a “click the box” to select the color option for the kit. So I called Volante (since the “kit” is spec’d with the silver adapter) and asked them if they would include the black hub adapter. Super cool guys and easy to work with. Just tell them what you want and they’ll build a kit for you.

Also, if your unsure about what color wood steering wheel to buy... the “espresso” color option is a dark brown, not black. When I bought my steering wheel, I thought it was black.