• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Winter grade gas fuel vapor lock Hot So Cal Day

partsloco

This what happens run you run winter gas on a hot winters day in Southern California. Maybe a bad batch of gas. Its Chevron 87. As soon as I filled up I noticed problems. Summer grade gas does not do this. Even winter grade usually does not do this. Weird.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QQySGDp2gE0

blubuckaroo

Grease Monkey
Loc.
Ridgefield WA
This what happens run you run winter gas on a hot winters day in Southern California. Maybe a bad batch of gas. Its Chevron 87. As soon as I filled up I noticed problems. Summer grade gas does not do this. Even winter grade usually does not do this. Weird.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QQySGDp2gE0

I just watched your previous youtube again. I think you would benefit by installing the fuel line outside the frame rail. There's just too much radiant heat from the drivetrain and exhaust. That little piece of fuel line shield next to the motor isn't going to fix it.
Also, do you have an additional fuel filter installed somewhere under the car? That would make vapor lock worse.

jckkys

Bronco Guru
This is a problem that, fortunately only happens once in many years here in Tucson. Last week we had several days in the high 80s but my gasoline hasn't boiled and I've had no problem with vapor lock with a stock fuel delivery system. I do remember driving trucks that had engines much further from and higher than the tank that nearly died climbing a grade in 110 plus degree heat. So even summer blend fuel can boil in extreme heat. My Bronco never had vapor lock problems tho.

OP
OP
partsloco

partsloco

I don't normally have this problem with summer grade or winter grade. The Mods I did in the other video are normally enough. I normally use 76 or shell gas and do not have a problem. This time I used Chevron 87 winter grade and immediately started having problems. Yesterday was very hot for wintertime in Southern California. I'm thinking chevron 87 has a lower boiling point. On that same hot day before I filled up I wasn't having this problem with 87 shell gas.

ntsqd

heratic car camper
Loc.
Upper SoKA
They all claim that the Vapor Pressure of fuels are the same per some SAE std. I call BS!
Back in the days of my carb'd Ranchero I used to see lots more trouble with Arco fuel than any other, including the really cheap stuff and regardless of time of year.

About a year ago I did a little research for a SoCA EB lister and found that the Boiling Point (temperature) of gasoline drops dramatically with a slight reduction in pressure. Enough so that engine heat could easily no longer be necessary to vapor lock the system. Sitting in the driveway on a hot day was enough! So old school engine mounted mechanical pumps are clearly not a good idea with regard to vapor lock.

Unfortunately the BP vs. pressure curve isn't linear, so it takes a lot more pressure to significantly raise the BP. This is why I'm a big proponent of rear mounted pumps with a by-passing type regulator and a return line. Raise the supply line pressure and the BP raises making vapor lock much harder to occur. Circulate the fuel so that it isn't slowly moving thru the supply system gathering heat as it goes. I'm contemplating putting a small cooler in the return line. I noticed that some diesel pick-ups are now doing this. Seems like a good idea and I don't think that it can hurt.