• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Upgrade / Winter project feedback

NYC Bronco

Thinking about doing the following before the warm weather arrives in NY.

My Bronco:'76 302, C4, with stock front disc and rear drums, hydrobosted. Stock suspension, 15" wheels with 31x10.5, flares. EOM Dana 4 in Front and OEM 9" in rear.

Me: I'm no mechanic but I'm trying to get my learn on and I welcome all advice.

Where we drive: mostly on pavement, fields, beach. I don't do any crawling or wheeling. I take it hunting and fishing and to cruise around.

Whats my goal: Improve ride and safety. I want better ride/responsiveness and better braking as I'm also going family cage and putting in car seats so my toddlers can ride along with us. The lift will also offer a more aesthetically pleasing stance.

Project 1: Upgrade the brakes to new disc all the way around

Project 2: Duff 2.5" Suspension kit. https://dufftuff.com/product/system-a-2-1-2-basic-suspension-w-leafs-1966-77-bronco/
Question: will i need to, or should I replace/update the OEM drive shafts?
Question: will i need to, or should I replace/update the OEM sway bar?

what am I missing or overlooking?

Once I do this I will probably get 32"s or 33"s and stick with the 15" wheels although I suppose I could go to 17" with the lift.

svastano

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Pulaski, PA
I didn't have any sway bars but I broke the bank and both both front and rear Hellwig Sway bars and that is a great feeling. Rides better than my Superduty.

DC_Gearhead

Project 1: you’ll be fine if you buy the right kit. I suggest WH kit

Project 2: I did the same lift and didn’t need new drive shafts. I also don’t have a sway bar, stock or otherwise.

You got this. You’ll be fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

omureebe

Boy my 3-1/2" suspension lift with 1" body lift threw the geometry off...... If I were to by another bronco, i wouldn't go over 2-1/2" lift with 1" body lift. Ever. Get brakes done, check alignment, then make decisions.

OP
OP
N

NYC Bronco

DC_Gearhead

I was thinking that WH 4 DISC kit: https://www.wildhorses4x4.com/produ...aster-Kit-67-75-Bronco/Bronco_Disc_Brake_Kits

do I need to replace the existing e-brake here?

I wouldn’t waste the money on the 4 wheel. I’d do the front and put in power brake conversion. Much cheaper and better end product. It’s what I did and most on the forum suggest. Plus it’s just bolt on stuff and if you are just getting into this, those two mods get you a lot of bang for your buck and effort.

This is what I did on mine:

https://www.wildhorses4x4.com/product/Front_Disc_Kit/Bronco_Disc_Brake_Kits

https://www.wildhorses4x4.com/product/WH-Power-Brake-Kit/Bronco_Power_Brakes

https://www.wildhorses4x4.com/product/Custom_Brake_Line_Set/Bronco_Power_Brakes

And a regular old proportioning valve

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Seventee

Contributor
Loc.
In the sticks of MT
If you have a '76 you should already have front disks, and likely already power brakes? If so, a standard brake job to replace worn components is all you really need to do.

I don't see any reason to replace radius arms for a 2.5" lift, but new bushings everywhere would be a good idea.

OP
OP
N

NYC Bronco

If you have a '76 you should already have front disks, and likely already power brakes? If so, a standard brake job to replace worn components is all you really need to do.

I don't see any reason to replace radius arms for a 2.5" lift, but new bushings everywhere would be a good idea.

Brakes: correct, this is my set up. so maybe just a front "brake job" and add rear disks? It seems there is a lot of debate as to the value of going 4 Wheel disk versus the stock set up as noted above.

76YETI

Contributor
Loc.
KC METRO
Brake job. No need for Disc brakes in the rear. From your photos, you have stock 1976 power brakes w/booster and if everything is functioning correctly your brakes are more than enough. Another option would be a 1" BL and 1.5" SL. I'm running 33's on 15" wheels with 1" BL and stock suspension, but will be adding a 1.5" SL. Tons of videos about installing Body lifts on the internet....google "1" body lift, early bronco" or anything you want to learn. Good Luck. If you just want disc brakes and have the cash, put em' on! but not needed.

Seventee

Contributor
Loc.
In the sticks of MT
Brakes: correct, this is my set up. so maybe just a front "brake job" and add rear disks? It seems there is a lot of debate as to the value of going 4 Wheel disk versus the stock set up as noted above.

I'm in the camp that doesn't see the value in rear disks in this application, but it's certainly open to debate.