• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Window frame replacement possible?

jeffncs

Contributor
Loc.
Raleigh, NC
Before spending the money on a complete door, is it possible to just replace the window frame using the window frame assembly available on the aftermarket

Backstory is that my window frame was so severely rusted at each the front and rear that it bent and snapped while fitting it to my bronco. It had clearly been booger welded but I was hopeful to properly fix it before the catastrophic break.

Love to hear your thoughts here!

jamesroney

Contributor
Loc.
Fremont, CA
Before spending the money on a complete door, is it possible to just replace the window frame using the window frame assembly available on the aftermarket

Backstory is that my window frame was so severely rusted at each the front and rear that it bent and snapped while fitting it to my bronco. It had clearly been booger welded but I was hopeful to properly fix it before the catastrophic break.

Short answer is "yes." The replacement frames are "bolt in style" but that does not mean that they cannot be welded.

I have converted 69+ style doors to 68 by drilling new holes and installing the bolt in frames. I have also welded in the new frames into late doors. The only tricky part is to make 100% certain that you put the door frame at the correct angle and height when you install it. Also, you need to remove the old "stubs" by drilling out the spot welds. They are super easy to find. (and by angle, I mean the angle of the frame to the door so that the upper weatherstrip gap is correct. It's impossible to get it right without a hardtop on the Bronco. (or a jig)

Slick67

Mine is a 67 and the frames screw in so you can take them in and out.

I would think it is possible to back date the later model doors and make yours removable too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk