• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Drivers door window frame replacement

jasonv

Hi all,

Well it been a few years and the bronco has been great except after I did all the work my drivers window frame exploded in a massive rust blister. I’m pretty sure it’s beyond reasonable repair and it would be best to replace it.

First question. Anyone know a “bronco shop” or body shops that can do that for me with the attention to detail I would like to see? I want it done right, not fast. I’m in central California so LA, the valley, and the Bay Area are all about three hours away.

Second question would be what’s involved doing it myself but I am goi g to beat question #1 to death first. The other part to not doing it myself is the door is not original to the truck and the window frame has always had an unsightly gap that I want fixed.

Thanks,
Jason

AZ73

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Go to edit (bottom right) and change the title of your thread to "Delete". Jon will delete it.

Rangerbj

Jason. I know Chris at Belair Ranch in Buellton can help you out. He does great work.

Rustytruck

Bronco Guru
since you don't say what year your bronco is I will assume you have a later model as the door frames are welded in. the very earliest model had bolt in window frames. the frames welded in have flanges that run down inside the door shells and are spot welded in. you have to drill out the spot welds and cut the weld beads where the door frames meet the door shells. You have to lower the window and remove the door channel around the door frame and pry out the glass wipers at the top of the door shell. be very careful prying those out or you can do damage to the door shell. buy new ones before you take the old ones so you can see how they are clipped in. once you get that stuff out you have to remove the vent window assembly. remove the screws on the window frame then you have to go inside the door shell and unbolt the vent window from below inside the door. then to remove the vent window pull up and towards the window opening in a sweeping motion front to back. pull up and roll back at the same time. all this work risks damaging the door paint around the door top so mask it off really well. all these parts are stubborn and need allot of pull to get the job done. Make sure you buy all the parts before you start this project. finding someone to sell you some used door frames may be a real search as most people removing them just cut them off flush on the top of the doors removing the part left inside the door. you want them with the metal that extends inside the door shell. once you get the replacement door frame properly strip them of any rust and metal prep them before installing them. this is all easy to do from here but tough in real life to get it all properly done. I have never seen the new replacement parts and if they are any good and will or will not give you any problems. your mileage will vary.