• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

What to address while body off frame?

Ahealey

Body is going to painter end of this month and i want to make sure i get done what i should that will make things easier when the frame is bare.

Right now I’m thinking of changing out/cleaning up following. Broncos been sitting 15 years.

Por15 frame and axles

Going to keep the gearing at 3.50 for now so won't need to do anything for axles. Is it worth a posi or wait till i know if 3.50s are good enough?
Shocks are an unknown for now so keeping as is (seems to have a 2.5 lift w rancheros)

Brake kit for front- Tom’s off road.

New brake lines front to rear.

New rear drums

Replace bumper mounting on front of frame (damaged/cut off by previous owner)

Anything else you can think of to replace while body is off? It'll take two months to do body work.

Not sure what all bushings i should order and what steering components either would be main other items I’m looking for advice on? Anything else I’m missing?

Wild horse 75

Loc.
BC
New body mount bushings. And while it’s apart take a serious look at any suspension rubber. If it’s showing any signs of age replace it with quality poly. Radius arms on both ends. Leaf springs and shackles. All that. If one leaf bushing looks cracked and old just do them all and throw on new shackle bushings as well.

67sport

Loc.
Vancouver Island, Canada
Depending on the amount of rust in the truck, look over and poke around the rear of the frame around the rear spring hangers and rear shock mounts. They sometimes get a little thin around there.

BGBronco

Contributor
N A S H V I L L E
Loc.
Tennessee
Most of that stuff can be done with the body on or off but likely easier off. Frame clean-up is a different deal so that would be my top priority.

Stutsmo

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Depending on the amount of rust in the truck, look over and poke around the rear of the frame around the rear spring hangers and rear shock mounts. They sometimes get a little thin around there.
I will second this. Especially if you have acess to a welder. I have seen many frames that "look" pretty good but after removing shock mounts and spring perches to inspect. I have had to have the metal behind them replaced.

gnsteam

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Lincoln NE
I will second this. Especially if you have acess to a welder. I have seen many frames that "look" pretty good but after removing shock mounts and spring perches to inspect. I have had to have the metal behind them replaced.
And I will third this suggestion. If you have the time and funding. Inspect, repair and paints the frame. You won't regret it. Here is a link to my build starting at post 156. Where I start my frame refresh.
https://classicbroncos.com/forums/threads/project-76-orange-special-decor.239642/page-8

bronkenn

Contributor
Bronco Guy
Loc.
Southeast Ohio
Definitely check the frame out good for hidden rust. I found this spot between coil spring tower and frame. Cut it out and repaired it.

Attachments

• coil spg tower 1.JPG
    coil spg tower 1.JPG
    163.5 KB · Views: 18
  • coil spg tower 3.JPG
    coil spg tower 3.JPG
    209.2 KB · Views: 17