• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

What grade fuel do you use?

71_Sport

I run 92. Only because I have the timing advanced to about 40 deg at 3000rpm. That's probably 18-20 at Idle. Idiotic and expensive, I know, but lots of fun and I don't want to turn it down.

cobralee

Loc.
Northwestern OK
I run regular in my `71 Bronco w/a 302 and I run premium in my `96 Cobra. I've considered trying premium in the Bronco but I just don't think I want to fill up a 24 gallon tank with "the good stuff". The only difference I notice is in my wallet.

bmc69

Contributor
Bronco Guru
This whole ethanol from corn craze just thoroughly pisses me off. IT's not the best fuel, but that is not the real issue. Corn is a lousy way to make ethanaol - poor energy balance compared to sugar cane, for example. It takes too much energy to make ethanol from corn..it's practically a wash in both an economic and the carbon footrpint sense...if you even buy in to that 'carbon footprint' nonsense being real. But the gummint and tree huggers just love the idea..its the current fad. But the real driver is purely politico-economic; corn prices have soared and subsidized farmers are benefiting hugely. . Thus we are wasting time and money using corn to make ethanol and since corn is the hot ticket for cash crops, there are looming shortages, and resultant price increases, coming at us across the board for all the 'other' ag crops/products that corn is replacing. Been through the peanut capital of the US lately?...all the fields are planted in corn. Between peanuts and soybeans..does anyone know how incredibly many food (and other) products depend on those two little guys?

Oh..and corn is brutally hard on soil, depleting it faster than just about any other crop..requiring crop rotation to legumes, fallow periods, OR massive applications of fertilizer to make up for the losses. Uh oh..that fertilizer is a byproduct of..the petroleum industry. Another oh..over-dosing of fertilizer for corn crops is what 'killed' the Chesapeake Bay..and other estuaries fed by streams that collect farm run off.

And I was a farmer growing up..raised a LOT of corn..and soybeans..and wheat..and barley. Maybe I'm just bitter that this gravy train didn't come around when it would have put money in my pocket.;D

needabronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Prescott/Farmington
ethonal production and the use of corn, is also partially if not purely responsible for the current price of just about everything at the grocery store, beef, milk, bread.... The gov. has really masterminded this whole thing well...

bmc69

Contributor
Bronco Guru
ethonal production and the use of corn, is also partially if not purely responsible for the current price of just about everything at the grocery store, beef, milk, bread.... The gov. has really masterminded this whole thing well...

yeah..that reminds me. I buy my beef a whole animal at a time from a local farmer that raises it just like I did on the farm..finished out on hihg-protein grain. Last one I bought (February) he informed me that he was not going to start another lot...because prices of finishing feed went through the roof.

mattyq17

Bronco Guru
paid 3.83 for 87 octane yesterday on the central coast of Cali (ccofc)

SteveL

Huge chevy guy
Loc.
Hawthorne ca
the broncos only like premium. The 66 (23 gal tank) ate $76 at costco sunday. Out here in so cal costco might save you .10 per gal.. It didn't hurt as bad as filling my 72 suburban(30 gal tank) with the crap grade to the tune of $96 last week.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
I think you guys are on the wrong thread. The grips over fuel prices is in the "gas for our V8" thread". This is suppose to be "what grade fuel do you use?"

Skiddy

Bronco Guru
This whole ethanol from corn craze just thoroughly pisses me off. IT's not the best fuel, but that is not the real issue. Corn is a lousy way to make ethanaol - poor energy balance compared to sugar cane, for example. It takes too much energy to make ethanol from corn..it's practically a wash in both an economic and the carbon footrpint sense...if you even buy in to that 'carbon footprint' nonsense being real. But the gummint and tree huggers just love the idea..its the current fad. But the real driver is purely politico-economic; corn prices have soared and subsidized farmers are benefiting hugely. . Thus we are wasting time and money using corn to make ethanol and since corn is the hot ticket for cash crops, there are looming shortages, and resultant price increases, coming at us across the board for all the 'other' ag crops/products that corn is replacing. Been through the peanut capital of the US lately?...all the fields are planted in corn. Between peanuts and soybeans..does anyone know how incredibly many food (and other) products depend on those two little guys?

Oh..and corn is brutally hard on soil, depleting it faster than just about any other crop..requiring crop rotation to legumes, fallow periods, OR massive applications of fertilizer to make up for the losses. Uh oh..that fertilizer is a byproduct of..the petroleum industry. Another oh..over-dosing of fertilizer for corn crops is what 'killed' the Chesapeake Bay..and other estuaries fed by streams that collect farm run off.

And I was a farmer growing up..raised a LOT of corn..and soybeans..and wheat..and barley. Maybe I'm just bitter that this gravy train didn't come around when it would have put money in my pocket.;D

yes and yes, but corn does make a good drink;D I only use the cheap gas that I can find:p