• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

What grade bolts for front winch bumper mounting?

surfer-b

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I used Gr 8 but I also beefed up the frame where it mounts and added 2 more per side.

xcntrk

Bronco Guru
Loc.
NOVA
Another here for Grade-8. Use them everywhere. Home Depot, Lowes, even the auto-parts store generally have a decent selection. But typically when I'm starting a new project I order them online. Way cheaper and you can buy an individual bolt if necessary:

http://www.boltdepot.com/Default.aspx

Just use a good size and thread pitch gauge to determine what you need up front...

blubuckaroo

Grease Monkey
Loc.
Ridgefield WA
If you're bolting to the stock bumper holes, grade 5 is plenty. You'll tear the holes out before you could break a 1/2" grade 5 bolt.

Broncitis

MEB Founder
If you're bolting to the stock bumper holes, grade 5 is plenty. You'll tear the holes out before you could break a 1/2" grade 5 bolt.

I generally use Gr 8 on general principal and since they really do not cost all that more, but the above statement is accurate.

The best local place I find to get bolts is at Tractor Supply where they sell them all by the pound. MUCH cheaper than any of the hardware or home improvement stores.

OP
OP
asinor

asinor

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Tulsa, OK
Did you weld plates above and below or add some type of channel around the frame?

Just did the calcs on various diameter grade 5 and 8 yield and ultimate shear strengths.
Code:
Grade  |   Diameter   |   Yield (LBS)    |   Failure (LBS)
-----------------------------------------------------------
   8   |        1/2   |         3,508    |         17,870 
   8   |        7/16  |         2,056    |         13,679 
   8   |        3/8   |         1,109    |         10,050
   5   |        1/2   |         2,891    |         14,725

So reinforce frame rails / mounting.
4 total shear surfaces.
Mount Bumper with 1/2 Grade 8 bolts.
Mount Winch with 7/16 Grade 8 bolts (or lower for a known failure point to save frame horns and winch internals?)

Not that I'm going to be doing any wheeling that will need to pull a solid 12k load with a winch, but its nice to know I'm safe regardless.

surfer-b

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Did you weld plates above and below or add some type of channel around the frame?

I cut a .25" plate the same dimension as the frame all the way back to the crossmember, welded it to the outside of the frame, drilled and taped the horns on the bumper and bolted it up. I wanted to use 2"x4"x.25" and slide into the frame as I did in the rear but the design of the frame wouldn't allow it to go far enough back for my likings

bknbronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
North Metro, MN

I agree!! The winches my dad and brother just got only came with grade 5, 3/8"x16 bolts for mounting. They also got one of these lock bolts to detur the ripoffs!

http://www.factor55.com/

The prolink they sell is a great add on also. Dad and bro got the same thing from another company but you have to feed your rope through theres. factor55 just came out with these and they use a pin so you can use them with cable also.

Last edited:

knack

Contributor
OK, somebody has to disagree.

I usually stick with grade 5 for situations like this. Grade 8 bolts are ultimately stronger - but when they break they snap. A slightly softer bolt will stretch or bend before breaking. In some cases that can make the difference between a broken part turning into missile, or just tearing loose and falling in the mud.

hucklburry rev2

OK, somebody has to disagree.

I usually stick with grade 5 for situations like this. Grade 8 bolts are ultimately stronger - but when they break they snap. A slightly softer bolt will stretch or bend before breaking. In some cases that can make the difference between a broken part turning into missile, or just tearing loose and falling in the mud.

X2

Grade 8 are brittle, grade 5 will bend.

We put overhead cranes together with either structural bolts (99.99% of the time), or I have seen grade 5 used (not often). I never see grade 8.

The forces that will create a problem are when shocked, where something gives way and creates a shock load, that can cause an instant/momentary force up to 5x the actual load. Thats when a grade 8 will snap, and you hope the grade 5 will give and not fail completely.

But I am no engineer, just what I've been taught, it could be wrong.

McMAster sells structural bolts if you want some real strength

Madgyver

Bronco Madman
Unless the bumper has tabs that go into the framerail and bolted up, The ears on the stock framerail for the bumper will fail before any grade 5 or grade 8 1/2" bolt.

OP
OP
asinor

asinor

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Tulsa, OK
It's a Protofab bumper, basically 4x3 tubing that slides into the frame rail.

Looking at the numbers, it really doesn't matter what I use. The winch will burn up before it breaks any bolt or bends anything. I'll use grade 8 for the bumper and grade 5 for the winch and tow hooks.

Madgyver

Bronco Madman
This is what I meant about the extention that goes into the framerail.
Pics are from a Ballie Bilt winch bumper, center section.

image.aspx

Attachments

• DSC09118.jpg
    DSC09118.jpg
    90.4 KB · Views: 23
  • DSC09119.jpg
    DSC09119.jpg
    86.1 KB · Views: 492