• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Replacing exhaust manifold bolts - grade 5 or grade 8

thegreatjustino

Contributor
Red Head Grease Monkey
Loc.
Stockton, CA
Today I pulled all 11 bolts out of the 170's exhaust manifold to replace the leaking gasket. Two snapped off, one was an incorrect size, and all of the others are in some way pitted or otherwise degraded.

I'm going to pick up all new bolts and lock washers tomorrow along with some anti-seize. Is it generally recommended to spring for grade 8 hardware for exhaust manifolds?

B RON CO

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Statesville, NC
Hi, the manifold on my 170 was warped. The machine shop put it on a giant belt sander to flatten it out. I'm going with a new manifold and 2" exhaust in a couple months. You should check out Fordsix.com and get the Falcon Performance Handbool to get the most from your Ford 6

blubuckaroo

Grease Monkey
Loc.
Ridgefield WA
Grade 8 would work. But if you ever do break one off, it's really hard to drill out a grade 8 bolt.
I think its more important to use good quality fasteners. There's a lot of junk out there and not all grade 5 or grade 8 are actually as they are marked.
I think I'd just go to a good bolt store and get good quality grade 5 black oxide bolts.