• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

replacing exhaust manifold

lasadoor

Loc.
San Diego
I will, hopefully, be replacing the stock exhaust manifold with another. I have some skills, but have never done this. I did a search on the site, but didn't see any direct how to articles. Is it pretty straight forward are there any issues or precautions I should be aware of. Any tips would be greatly appreciated.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Soak all the fasteners in penatrating lube several times (preferably over a couple days) to try and free the rust as much as possible.
Other then that it is a straight swap. Try to keep trash from falling down the exhaust ports.
Clean the gasket material off the head
If the exhaust pipe to manifold bolts are too siezed don't be aftraid to just cut the stud. You should be using new studs anyway.

OP
OP
lasadoor

lasadoor

Loc.
San Diego
one nice thing is the engine was rebuilt three years so the shop had to deal with any seized bolts. Changing the bolts is a good idea, I'll swap all of them while I'm at it, I only need to replace the passenger side manifold.

blubuckaroo

Grease Monkey
Loc.
Ridgefield WA
one nice thing is the engine was rebuilt three years so the shop had to deal with any seized bolts. Changing the bolts is a good idea, I'll swap all of them while I'm at it, I only need to replace the passenger side manifold.

What happened to it? My drivers side got a bunch of hairlike fractures and just leaked everywhere. When I replaced it a piece of the donut flange broke off and hit me in the eye. No damage but be careful!

OP
OP
lasadoor

lasadoor

Loc.
San Diego
What happened to it? My drivers side got a bunch of hairlike fractures and just leaked everywhere. When I replaced it a piece of the donut flange broke off and hit me in the eye. No damage but be careful!

there is a crack by the stud that connects to the exhuast pipe. I might take it to a machine shop and see it it can be saved. In the meantime I need my Bronco. Eye protection noted.

Should I use gasket sealer, and if so does it go on the engine and manifold?

blubuckaroo

Grease Monkey
Loc.
Ridgefield WA
there is a crack by the stud that connects to the exhuast pipe. I might take it to a machine shop and see it it can be saved. In the meantime I need my Bronco. Eye protection noted.

Should I use gasket sealer, and if so does it go on the engine and manifold?

Used are available. I bought a good used one from Toms in a pinch and it came with new studs. They came from the factory without gaskets to the head but unless you have them machined flat, get a set of gaskets for it. The donut comes in both composition and steel. Steel lasts forever but I've had better luck with the composition ones sealing.

Annapolis76EB

Loc.
Annapolis, MD
If you were close I would give you the set of manifolds I just pulled off mine to put headers on. Like previously said, soak those bolts down really well with penetrating oil for a few days (I prefer Kroil). Also, in my humble opinion, a 6 point socket will grab the bolt head better than a 12 point and give you less risk of rounding the bolt head. If you do round a head and can't get it off, the Craftsman bolt out kit works wonders. Most of my bolt heads were a totally rounded and that little fluted socket gripped all of them and easily backed them out.

Nightstick

Bronco guy
I have a stock passenger side I'll give you for the cost to ship it if thats the one you need.