• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

What am I doing wrong...see picture.

AZ73

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I would try 2 things. 1) notch the cross brace out in that area (see Junstino's last pix); Don't cut the floor sheet metal where your picture says "cut here". Cut the brace underneath it. That should give you at least an inch.2) loosen your trans cross member bolts and shove the trans as far to the passenger side as you can. Unfortunately you may have to drop the trans a couple of inches to give you enough room to flip the arm, or you can just un-nut the arm with the linkage still attached, and disconnect the linkage from the shifter, flip the arm up, add the nut back, then attach it back to the shifter.

.94 OR

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I just pulled my 3 speed floor shifter out the other day in trade for a NP435. I'm thinking on mine that I would pull the shifter back into 1st and feed the connector and bushing through from the back of the shifter tab. This leaves the retainer clip towards the drivers door. This gets the shift rail away from the body. You should be able to roll the threaded connector 180° around the rod and try it from behind...

Doyle

Bronco Guru
The rods are mild steel and can be reshaped if needed. I had to reshape mine slightly so they didn't interfer with my twinstick.