• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Was there ever this Ford part?

garberz

Bronco Influencer
Loc.
Conejo Valley, Ca.
Working on a Bronco that has a early 70's C4 in it. The trans is a case fill, small bell housing, 157 tooth flex plate. Which gives it the 10 1/2" torque converter. The engine is 87' Mustang 5.0.
Was there ever a Ford flex plate made with a 50oz. imbalance, 157 tooth? What application would that of been? I've found a few aftermarket ones on Summit, but just wondering if there ever was such a thing.

Mark

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
I don't think Ford ever made that combination. Small bell C4s were gone in the mid 70's and the 302 didn't get the 50 oz-in balance until about '82.

OP
OP
garberz

garberz

Bronco Influencer
Loc.
Conejo Valley, Ca.
I don't think Ford ever made that combination. Small bell C4s were gone in the mid 70's and the 302 didn't get the 50 oz-in balance until about '82.

Thank's Phil, that's what I'm figuring out. This Bronco has the shakes, and It's look to be the flex plate. I'll be able to compare the two when the new one arrives from Summit. The balance weights are different sized on these smaller flex plates compared to the 164 tooth plates.

Mark

hucklburry rev2

But you found the flex you think you need, right? Looks like TCI makes one at least (529610?), with all the stroker kits and stuff now a days, they can be found. I had to find a flywheel zero balance 157t, for 10" clutch, which finding the right price was the problem for me, but I did.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
If i had to guess maybe mustang II mix of parts.

Mustang II was even weirder, something like 142 tooth.
The standard 1st gen mustang, maverick and other cars got the case fill 157 tooth. To get a pan fill it was a full size car.

OP
OP
garberz

garberz

Bronco Influencer
Loc.
Conejo Valley, Ca.
But you found the flex you think you need, right? Looks like TCI makes one at least (529610?), with all the stroker kits and stuff now a days, they can be found. I had to find a flywheel zero balance 157t, for 10" clutch, which finding the right price was the problem for me, but I did.

Yes I did. Summit had a few choices for this part. And the prices can get very steep. Looked like all of them are SFI rated.

Mark

OP
OP
garberz

garberz

Bronco Influencer
Loc.
Conejo Valley, Ca.
Check to see that the Harmonic Balancer matches the Flywheel, aka, both are 28oz., or both are 50 oz.

The block is an 87', the balancer is 50 oz. The existing flex plate looks to be 28oz., comparing it to pics online. I'll know for certain when the new one shows up. Being that the only ones available are SFI rated, makes me certain the existing one is just 28oz.

Mark

OP
OP
garberz

garberz

Bronco Influencer
Loc.
Conejo Valley, Ca.
Now that I have the new flex plate, it's obvious the old one was the wrong balance.

Mark

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    110.9 KB · Views: 14