• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

using a 1989 ford bronco (full size) for doner

Iambruiser

Loc.
Forney
I have access to a 1989 ford bronco full size for a doner for an engine and transmission swap to my 1977 bronco I haven't seen any info on this site does any one have any pros or cons

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
With a 5.0 or 5.8 engine? If you're just using the long block, there's no major issue with either, other than the 5.8 being taller. Just a few little bits that need to be dealt with during the install on either one.
But if they had the same EFI setup in '89 that they did in later years, you'll have a rude time of trying to use it.
That setup won't even remotely fit under the hood of an EB.

Automatic or manual trans? The auto should fit without too much trouble. Different length driveshafts and an adapter for the Dana 20 transfer case.
Again, small stuff but no major issues other than finding a way to control any electronics it might have. Not sure which auto an '89 had though. Would be worth determining what exactly it is, and what is available to control shifting if it's a fully electronic version.

The transfer case is too wide to fit the EB frame unfortunately. Be nice to have the lower gearing, direct bolt-on and the (possibly) lighter aluminum case out of the '89, but it's not something that most will tackle.

Others will have more detailed info on what's easy, hard or in-between from the '89, but I think that covers some of the basics.

Good luck.

Paul