• Be EXTREMELY cautious if someone offers to buy your Bronco for more than your asking price and sight unseen. ESPECIALLY if the buyer is overseas. It's probably a scam.

Discuss it more here:
    http://classicbroncos.com/forums/showthread.php?p=514932
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

CA U13 up for Auction with Mecum

Broncoblood

Contributor
I'd say that's a decent price for what it was.
a cut, lifted, altered, U13F six cylinder.

toddz69

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
Wow! Great results in these times.....I was curious about the green one.

Todd Z.

Broncoblood

Contributor
I was kinda thinkin the green 'original' Roadster woulda been the higher sale priced one but yes still some pretty good prices there.

toddz69

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
A friend sent me these pics of the green roadster. I hope someone isn't disappointed by this after paying that much for it...

Todd Z.

Attachments

• 664.jpg
    664.jpg
    63.8 KB · Views: 85
  • 663.jpg
    663.jpg
    193.7 KB · Views: 89
  • 662.jpg
    662.jpg
    219.6 KB · Views: 80
  • 661.jpg
    661.jpg
    152.4 KB · Views: 86

Broncoblood

Contributor
woh!
I bet that rolled the red carpet without even being noticed.
paint blem - ok imo
rear seat - remediable
both floors - only original once and those are far from a professional fix, hmmm?
I guess its not the end of the world, still a pretty cool original rig and the rest of the Roadster looks fairly rust free original condition.

ngsd

Contributor
Bronco Guru
They both surprised me. The red one was pretty nice though i was curous about that back seat in it as that is not right with that spare mounted.

okie4570

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
NW OK
Hammered at $82,500 on BaT: https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1968-ford-bronco-114/

I guess it's a good lesson that rarity does not always equal desirability, I'm sure there was every bit of $80k invested in the resto, let alone dragging it to Mecum and then back home.
I thought it would bring between $90k-$100k. I'm not sure that it could have been advertised or presented any better than it was on BAT either. Not sure if the black over red hurt it or not, shouldn't have but one never knows.

Last edited:

ngsd

Contributor
Bronco Guru
If you really think about it, 82k plus commisions for a Roadster is still an amzing price regardless of what was spent on it.

Broncoblood

Contributor
$86,625 total for the buyer
$82,500 for me

bgaller - I had way less than $82,500 into it. I purchased the Roadster in 2004 for $2,500, I collected many parts over the 12 year span til final restoration and between Andrew and I,
we did a major portion of the restoration ourselves.
As for Mecum haul, we live about 41 minutes from there and had a great time with my whole family on a 3 day vacation with lots of excitement throughout.
Lesson learned, it wasn't about the money but the good times I shared with Andrew and many other Bronco / Roadster enthusiasts over the years. It feels great to recoup all my monies put into this Roadster and then some, but I would give it all away to once again enjoy the experience I shared with many.
Last factor of the sale, I was simply done taking care of it and wanted somebody else to enjoy it. The Roadster is off to a family owned Ford dealership in South Carolina where it will live a lot of its life preserved on the showroom floor as a piece of Ford history.

okie4570 - I agree, I thought it would of hit those numbers for sure but like I mentioned before, I am good with the sale. I also agree maybe the color change hurt? to put it back to Rangoon Red might cost an approx $20K/$30K which would put it at $102,500/$112,500. we'll never know but glad its off to a solid home.

ngsd - true story. I feel it was a great price for the buyer. as Andrew mentioned, these days you couldn't come near having it restored for the sale price but restoring it with your friend / friends over a period of years maybe?

red or black???????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

I love all the Roadster chatter : )

jamesroney

Contributor
Loc.
Fremont, CA
red or black???????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

I love all the Roadster chatter : )
I don't think the answer is black and white. (see what I did there?)

The color itself is not the problem. It's the fact that it wasn't "as-delivered." When you do a concourse quality restoration...originality is vastly more important than it should be.

This is one attribute where the Marti Report / factory invoice does no favors. It accentuates the fact that it was born red.

Anyone that saw that Bronco in person KNOWS that it was as nice as they come. Actually nicer than they ever came...but that's different.

I ran into the same problem when I sold my GT500. It was born Lime Green, but I painted it Acapulco Blue. EVERYBODY knows that Blue is better than Green. But it took over a year to find the right buyer. If you wanted to show it in the "Thoroughbred" class, it was not eligible. The heckling was merciless over the color change. It was idiotic.

So the answer is "original" which happens to be red.

Broncoblood

Contributor
well put from all of you and once again, love and appreciate the Roadster chatter.
I can agree with James on the answer being 'original' which happens to be red, but If could go back in time I wouldn't change a thing, I'd go Raven black all day.
I loved it on day one and loved it til it took new ownership. Even though I consider myself a 'somewhat' purist, loving it the whole time as I owned it was the most important to me.
I will try and post some pics once it lands at its new home.
thanks again for all the interest and support.

JGbronc

Bronco Maniac
Pretty sure the 68' that was used on Green Acres is a U132 also. I drug my feet on a 68' u13 6cyl about three years ago and missed out on it, it was the only 68' u13 6cyl I've seen for sale and the only non u132 I can remember seeing. I was such an idiot for not buying that. Not even going to say how cheap it was, 1500 miles away detoured me away and cost me in the end lol.

View attachment 902428
I’m way late, but Green Acres is a U130 with open 3.50.