• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Trans swap/ Engine vibration

arizona 71

Contributor
I have been trying to finish a lot of different mods to my Bronco. The latest is a NP435 to ZF5 swap on my EFI 5.0 . IM getting a bad vibration parked in neutral between 2 and 3 grand I used my old flywheel but bought a clutch kit from Rock Auto for a 1992 F250, to get all other related parts, (P plate, disc,master, slave,T.O. bearing and pilot. I also had a shop rebuild the ZF. The first few times I started the truck after the swap, the trans was rattily and still is. But I herd that this is not uncommon. (filled with Mercon) My First question is, do pressure plates have a neutral balance ? not specific to a 28 or 50oz imbalanced engine? Or do think my rebuilt trans has a input shaft bearing problem? vibration and sound change when operating the clutch at RPM. Thanks for any help, Gary

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Clutch should have neutral balance and not be for one or the other. It's a good practice to have it all balanced together of course, but they're "usually" balanced pretty close from the factory too, so not always a requirement.
Unfortunately it sounds like yours might have been one of the rare exceptions.

Since it's the same flywheel you had before, it can't be that unless you damaged it somehow and got the balance off. If it was truly an imbalance between a 28 and 50 ounce component, you'd be feeling it just above idle pretty bad. You can feel it at idle, it's just not as bad until you get over 1000 rpm and it starts to really make itself known.
At all rpms above that, you'd know you had a problem! Not just between 2k and 3k.

If it does it with the clutch disengaged then you know it's not the transmission.

Did you replace the front harmonic damper by any chance?

Paul