• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

toploader 4 speed install question

markatherton

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
I'm cutting the tunnel for the 4 speed shifter and linkage. Does anyone know if I need to cut through the tunnel support beams for the toploader linkage to clear? Has anyone actually done this? Mark in San Diego

Oldtimer

Contributor
Jr. Member with Sr. moments
Loc.
Sunnyvale, CA
Mark, I installed a top loader with a Duffs 4 seed shifter in my 68.
I did not cut tunnel support. I raised the body 1".
This allowed the back end of tranny to clear rear slope of tunnel and gave me clearance for the linkage. Had to lengthen clutch rod (cut/weld), lower fan shroud (2"wide aluminum strap) and change steering shaft (Wild Horses).

bohntr28

Loc.
Mesa
I had to notch the floor support for the linkage to clear but my body mounts were smashed. You may want to look at a 1" BL. It has it's advantages.

wildbill

Old Bronco Guy
:D :D :D I run a 66 with no body lift and you need to cut the brace or the shift rod will rub on it. As far as the hole the same as the 3 speed same brackit just bolts on. Good luck and have fun.:cool: :cool: :cool: Bill ;D :cool: :D

SteveL

Huge chevy guy
Loc.
Hawthorne ca
I think I bent the rods a little different to clear. I know it was tough getting the top loader up under the 66 with no B/L. Since then we added the 1" B/L and things fit much better under there.